UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Video: Matt Hume: How MMA has evolved since 90's

1/7/13 10:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
glock4life
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed Phone Post
1/9/13 4:06 AM
Pro Ice
1956 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Video: Matt Hume: How MMA has evolved since 90's

1/9/13 4:57 AM
glock4life
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great video, thank you for posting. Phone Post
1/9/13 7:19 AM
Maldini2706
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fascinating, thanks! Anyone know anything about this Trevor Jackson guy? Why has he never fought if he's so close to the perfect fighter? Phone Post
1/9/13 7:22 AM
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
1/9/13 7:39 AM
Dirk Bevlin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pro Ice -

Video: Matt Hume: How MMA has evolved since 90's

Gracias Phone Post
1/9/13 10:52 AM
Wade5000
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great insight!
1/9/13 11:03 AM
Deepy
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub! Phone Post
1/9/13 12:17 PM
Hessian
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3t
1/10/13 7:10 AM
Soup Nazi
1412 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rrr

1/10/13 10:40 AM
Son of Neckbone
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Prepare for a Wolfman worthy name dropping UG:

I had the privilege of cornering Spencer Fisher with Matt Hume when he choked out Shannon Gugerty in Chicago. I'm pretty sure Hume didn't like me, largely because I had no business cornering a professional fighter and was only there as his buddy. It was crazy awesome.
1/10/13 11:09 AM
MuchRespec'
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4 later Phone Post
1/10/13 11:14 AM
Hikikomori
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
1/10/13 11:37 AM
Bry Bry

i agree with Hume on many points especially when he talks about so many fighters today being decent at everything as opposed to being great at any particular style..
1/10/13 7:03 PM
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bry Bry - i agree with Hume on many points especially when he talks about so many fighters today being decent at everything as opposed to being great at any particular style..

Part of this is due however to everyone being better at everything than they used to be as well though.

And though i dont disagree with Hume here, the object isnt to be as good in 1 area as possible, to be a good MMA fighter today means you have to spend your training spread out in some many areas.

However, when we do see guys excel in certain areas, its still a treat.
1/10/13 8:35 PM
Pro Ice
1956 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Imo most people do stil come into the sport excelling in one area (ground / stand up to generalize) but a lot focus on working their weaknesses and somewhat neglect their strengths losing that edge they might have had in that one area

Fighters being good at everything and not great at anything coupled with all the restrictions inside the cage = less finishes, more even, some may say boring fights

Just for the record I put most the blmae of the somewhat stale state we are seing in the sport today on all rules/restrictions and judging criteria

1/10/13 8:50 PM
Lazer MMA

Pro Ice - 

Imo most people do stil come into the sport excelling in one area (ground / stand up to generalize) but a lot focus on working their weaknesses and somewhat neglect their strengths losing that edge they might have had in that one area

Fighters being good at everything and not great at anything coupled with all the restrictions inside the cage = less finishes, more even, some may say boring fights

Just for the record I put most the blmae of the somewhat stale state we are seing in the sport today on all rules/restrictions and judging criteria

Well Ice a lot of the blame is just related to the state of the UFC today really (not there fault to boot) it's win or be cut. There are just not enough stars to support the sport so there is great pressure put on fighters not to lose. This pressure leads to less risks. As (if) more great stars come into play the situation may change.

The one rule that really hurts IMO is not allowing knees to downed fighters though. This makes turtling a viable defense which is unacceptable IMO.
1/10/13 9:46 PM
Lazer MMA

Wasa-B - 
Bry Bry - i agree with Hume on many points especially when he talks about so many fighters today being decent at everything as opposed to being great at any particular style..

Part of this is due however to everyone being better at everything than they used to be as well though.

And though i dont disagree with Hume here, the object isnt to be as good in 1 area as possible, to be a good MMA fighter today means you have to spend your training spread out in some many areas.

However, when we do see guys excel in certain areas, its still a treat.

If you lack some 'go to' offence you're lost. What top fighter lacks it? So at a minimum you need that.

Overall I disagree, I'm not sure anyone can out-wrestle prime Coleman today (agreeing with Hume BTW that fighters are NOT as good as they used to be in a single trait - for the most part I agree not in whole) if fact I'd say no flat out IMO. I guess DC would be the best match.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.