UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Impossible Electric Guitar - Danny Gatton

1/4/13 9:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A 3-disc set was travelling the music trader's circles forever. I only just learned (from youtube) that there's video of this show. Here's a snippet. He's no Yamashita... but... Actually I think it's interesting that he was touted (after Roy Buchanan) as a "Master of the Telecaster". And some of those most amazing stuff you'll ever see was earlier on, when he played a Les Paul. Like this thing. Gatton committed suicide. Another parallel with Buchanan. Bums me out.
1/4/13 9:55 PM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And for this one you might want to listen without watching first. The showmanship is ridiculous -- overwhelms the ears. When you see it you can't believe what a freaking showoff....

Guy made me mad.
1/4/13 10:59 PM
Ali

One day in D.C.... I doubt he even suspected this was being taped.
1/5/13 2:49 PM
Ali

Edited: 01/05/13 3:56 PM
That's the opening credits, as a teaser, to his hotlicks "Telemaster" video. The whole thing is up on youtube, along with (in parts) I think all of his "Licks and Tricks" (I think) instructional. Which is cool because I don't think you can buy them new any more.
1/7/13 5:47 AM
jman
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome stuff. So damn natural, never feels like he is "showing off" but he is "shredding" (for lack of a better word) and completely tearing the guitar apart.

Doesn't matter the genre: country, blues, rock, metal, shred, etc...there is somebody out there that is going to keep pushing the limits and raising the bar of what "the best" is.
1/7/13 11:50 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/07/13 11:51 AM
Damn, Gatton never ceases to amaze and terrify me. I haven't seen the clip from Gallaghers, so cool. Head down, relaxed and creating insanity with his fingers. One of my favorites is his rendition of Orange Blossom Special. I sent this to an old guitar teacher of mine and he wrote back, 'thanks for the video. After watching I couldn't decide whether to use lighter fluid or gasoline to burn my guitar.

1/7/13 12:04 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*disclaimer - the above quote may also have been about Lenny Breau, I'm getting foggy in my old age. Either way, it works for either artist.
1/7/13 11:59 PM
Ali

That Gallagher's clip is brand new to me, too. It just showed up on a youtube search. It's ridiculous. There a few moments I just can't believe at all, just his decisions, and then tearing off these contrapuntal melody lines like it ain't no thing.

I always think of Gatton and Breau together, too -- which is weird, given how little they have in common really. Other than being mindbending.

Listening to that Orange Blossom Special right now. Fast enough??? But done like a history of all the performances of that damn thing, too, with some brand new. All double-time.

Wait... is he by himself on guitar on that??? I'm not sure what the hell I'm hearing!
1/8/13 1:42 AM
jman
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that Orange Blossom Special is sick beyond belief
1/8/13 10:06 AM
hugomma
789 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for when I get my computer at home running.

1/13/13 2:33 PM
Ali

Edited: 01/13/13 2:52 PM
Mygod this youtube... it used to be SO hard to be a Gatton admirer if you didn't live in D.C.... This is just more stunning-ness, of the sort you're used to if you've checked out the rest of this thread. But I will point out the outside (but barely outside) thing he does starting at 2:29... big ears to go with those hands. Maybe start at 2:18 to see how he goes into it. And to check out the left hand stretches, which are just.... what they are. Motherfucker. The guy was an alien.

In spite of my talking about timings... just watch the whole thing. It's not that many minutes. And the very opening artificial harmonics with volume knob manipulation is ... ok, "old hat" to me but still. Who did it better? And it's all real music, not *just* a display.
1/14/13 11:42 AM
jman

Besides the crazy stuff he's playing, it blows me away how great a tone he has as well as how damn easy he makes it look.
1/16/13 11:04 PM
Ali

Edited: 01/16/13 11:15 PM
He was a notorious tech-head and tone freak. Always modifying guitars and amps, working with Joe Barden (counting windings and such) on getting his perfect pickups.... he got the sound the way he wanted all right.

But it's how damn easy he makes it look that just makes me angry.

Sleepwalk:
1/19/13 8:59 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/19/13 9:00 PM

I like that he played with Sleepwalkers.. I did the same with Jar Of Hearts.

I submit this for consideration:

1/19/13 10:40 PM
Ali

For any number of reasons I won't do any kind of comparison with Danny Gatton. But. I will say.

You sound REALLY good, Demi, and it's always made me a bit angry how easy you make it look, too!
1/20/13 9:35 PM
Majic Sam
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL!Whiddley,whiddley whitebread woo.Easy to sound good sitting,over-processed,light-guaged strings,alone and in the basement.Strike it up with a live band and improvise a little,then we'll see about hanging of a DG thread.
1/21/13 2:19 PM
DasBeaver

Edited: 01/21/13 2:19 PM
LOL MS! My hats off to anyone who would post themselves after any of those clips.

(...and expect to be taken seriously)
1/22/13 8:32 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been giving lessons to a 70 year old guy who does SleepWalker in his set. He'd like that version.

1/23/13 9:46 PM
Majic Sam
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/23/13 10:10 PM
Sleepwalker Megadeth,or Sleepwalk by Santos and Johnny?The former,I suppose...

Remind me to request Blue to post my HS stage band drum solo clip the next time Buddy Rich gets mention,here.We won the Cnd. Nationals in '86.Look at what I can do!

Danny Gatton...the best of the best as a guitarist/musician.Asshole as a human being.

I used to play with Frank Marino's younger brother,Vince,who was in Mahogany Rush with DG's last drummer,Tim Biery.Word is that DG blew his head off in front of his daughter.
1/23/13 11:36 PM
Ali

Edited: 01/24/13 3:00 AM
I love you guys for participating on the Soundground. Which is almost dead, but for the few who participate.
All you guys. For real.
And this thread has taken a couple of turns that I wish it hadn't. I wish I didn't start it. So I apologize to you guys and anyone else who is reading for my part in it.
Danny Gatton was a crazy wonder of a musician. And youtube allows us to share that in ways I never foresaw. I'm ALL INTO THAT, so YAY! motherfuckers!!

For the rest... please accept my apology.
1/24/13 2:39 AM
Majic Sam

Ali,don't take anything that I happen to spout here too serious.

DG was JKD,no doubt.He had rock,but could also ROLL.Just thought I would let some in on his wierdness.

The tech kook above is a clinical and classical mess...Not JKD...Ersatzical,egotistical bore chiming in when should be absorbing.
1/24/13 1:34 PM
DasBeaver

Don't worry Ali, we musical guys bonk heads and get back on track. Back to Gatton, I recently met a luthier who is a Gatton freak. If I've got the story right, he got in touch with Gatton's daughter and bought his Echoplex: http://www.barncaster.com/Barncaster/echoplex.html

Danny Gatton and Robert Gordon, some of my favorite DG playing:

(Gordon trumps all for sheer assholeness - sorry Ali! )
1/24/13 9:14 PM
Ali

Edited: 01/24/13 11:28 PM
I used to have a semi-legit disc of Gatton with Gordon called "Capital Attack!". It was sort of a sequel to "The Humbler". It was a commercial CDr that got destroyed before I had back ups, but it had some killer playing. And I'm not particularly a Gordon fan, or a rockabilly fan. Some of that stuff was just undeniable, anyway.
1/25/13 2:24 PM
DasBeaver

I'm surprised to hear you say that, is it Gordon or rockabilly in general your not a fan of?
Not that I'm a huge fan myself, but in the past he's surrounded himself with pretty dynamite players.
1/25/13 9:54 PM
Ali

Edited: 01/25/13 9:59 PM
Ali - I used to have a semi-legit disc of Gatton with Gordon called "Capital Attack!". It was sort of a sequel to "The Humbler". It was a commercial CDr that got destroyed before I had back ups, but it had some killer playing. And I'm not particularly a Gordon fan, or a rockabilly fan. Some of that stuff was just undeniable, anyway.

Well... I probably shouldn't have said it.
I mean... I'm a "jazz guy", right? But I really don't have much to talk about with most anybody I run into who is a jazz fan. So I guess I like a small percentage of that, too. I can't stand most "jazz".

Rockabilly -- as far as I know -- is a much smaller sub-genre, so... playing the percentages, maybe I like it as much as anything. That just leaves very little.

Certainly Gatton is KILLING in that post you just made. Love it. Like with lots of things (more than I should) I sorta just wait around for the guitar solo... but that's a big pay-off. (Some time I oughta write an essay on Living Colour and Vernon Reid, speaking of waiting around for the guitar solos. And speaking of Rockabilly. Ahem).

And let me start again: maybe I'm just not hearing the right stuff. I DO like Robert Gordon, in fact, but the Robert Gordon I've listened to has ALL been because of a guy name Danny Gatton or a guy named Link Wray. Of Rockabilly Revival stuff... I listen to the first Blasters record. Even that, I'm really more into the broader spectrum "roots" music that Dave Alvin does on his own.

I like a lot of things one song at a time on a playlist. But I haven't heard much I'd want to string together (and I grew up an "album guy", though this newfangled mp3-computer-etc world is interrupting that best it can). So maybe... I just didn't ever get hip to the best stuff.

So... if there's something in particular not associated with Gatton or Wray... what should I listen to??

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.