UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Impossible Electric Guitar - Danny Gatton

1/25/13 10:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/25/13 10:05 PM
(VTFU for everybody on this thread, Beav & Sam & Demi, btw. Thanks for putting up with whatever whining I do from time to time)
1/26/13 12:13 AM
gusto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this dude is fucking amazing

1/26/13 5:18 AM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gusto - this dude is fucking amazing

That's what I'm saying!
1/26/13 7:02 AM
Majic Sam
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Danny Gatton's Echoplex...You have to have some kind of echo effect,digital or analog or you risk sucking.Count them,Buddy,Jeff,Bolin,Eddie,Jimi,Leslie,Page,Blackmore,Burton,etc.All had a huge,nice echo happening and played with the available space in studio.
1/28/13 10:29 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali - 
Ali - I used to have a semi-legit disc of Gatton with Gordon called "Capital Attack!". It was sort of a sequel to "The Humbler". It was a commercial CDr that got destroyed before I had back ups, but it had some killer playing. And I'm not particularly a Gordon fan, or a rockabilly fan. Some of that stuff was just undeniable, anyway.

Well... I probably shouldn't have said it.
I mean... I'm a "jazz guy", right? But I really don't have much to talk about with most anybody I run into who is a jazz fan. So I guess I like a small percentage of that, too. I can't stand most "jazz".

Rockabilly -- as far as I know -- is a much smaller sub-genre, so... playing the percentages, maybe I like it as much as anything. That just leaves very little.

Certainly Gatton is KILLING in that post you just made. Love it. Like with lots of things (more than I should) I sorta just wait around for the guitar solo... but that's a big pay-off. (Some time I oughta write an essay on Living Colour and Vernon Reid, speaking of waiting around for the guitar solos. And speaking of Rockabilly. Ahem).

And let me start again: maybe I'm just not hearing the right stuff. I DO like Robert Gordon, in fact, but the Robert Gordon I've listened to has ALL been because of a guy name Danny Gatton or a guy named Link Wray. Of Rockabilly Revival stuff... I listen to the first Blasters record. Even that, I'm really more into the broader spectrum "roots" music that Dave Alvin does on his own.

I like a lot of things one song at a time on a playlist. But I haven't heard much I'd want to string together (and I grew up an "album guy", though this newfangled mp3-computer-etc world is interrupting that best it can). So maybe... I just didn't ever get hip to the best stuff.

So... if there's something in particular not associated with Gatton or Wray... what should I listen to??

I didn't mean to point an accusatory finger at you Ali, I was surprised because you turned me on to the Gordon/Gatton material in the first place.

I have a love/hate relationship with rockabilly, and like you I was first attracted by the guitar work. It really is mostly a 'genre' thing these days. What first drew me to it, imo at it's best: a stripped combo mixing up blues, country rock and jazz. At it's worst: a bunch of scenesters with pompadours and vintage clothes looking down their noses at anyone not dressed like a mechanic from the 50's. This isn't counting the subgenre's subgenre's, ex: psychobilly, neorockabilly, cowpunk, traditional, bla bla blah(It's a wet snowy morning, ignore the rant).

In reality you've probably heard everything you need to hear to make an informed decision. I'll throw out a few names of guys you may or may not know, just in case: Rev Horton Heat, Paul Pigat, Grady Martin(Johnny Burnette Trio), Cliff Gallup (Gene Vincent), Setzer (awesome guitarist but...you know), Billy Lee Riley, The Quakes, Deke Dickerson, Hazel Adkins, The Cramps :)
1/28/13 9:36 PM
Ali

Edited: 01/28/13 9:41 PM
DasBeaver - 
I didn't mean to point an accusatory finger at you Ali, I was surprised because you turned me on to the Gordon/Gatton material in the first place.

I have a love/hate relationship with rockabilly, and like you I was first attracted by the guitar work. It really is mostly a 'genre' thing these days. What first drew me to it, imo at it's best: a stripped combo mixing up blues, country rock and jazz. At it's worst: a bunch of scenesters with pompadours and vintage clothes looking down their noses at anyone not dressed like a mechanic from the 50's. This isn't counting the subgenre's subgenre's, ex: psychobilly, neorockabilly, cowpunk, traditional, bla bla blah(It's a wet snowy morning, ignore the rant).

In reality you've probably heard everything you need to hear to make an informed decision. I'll throw out a few names of guys you may or may not know, just in case: Rev Horton Heat, Paul Pigat, Grady Martin(Johnny Burnette Trio), Cliff Gallup (Gene Vincent), Setzer (awesome guitarist but...you know), Billy Lee Riley, The Quakes, Deke Dickerson, Hazel Adkins, The Cramps :)

I appreciate the names. I do like Rev. Horton Heat, though I haven't listened at length (like to a whole cd or concert). But I know he's special. And I know the Cramps, though I thought of them as a cool punk rock band (and yes, I know, "psychobilly"....) I've gone through periods of listening to "All Women Are Bad" many times in a row. Not that that was influenced by anything going on.....

And I know Cliff Gallup. Mostly it was at the insistence of Jeff Beck that I checked that out. I'll look into more.

At its best, it can have this crazy unfettered energy, and joy. And I love that.
1/29/13 12:43 AM
Majic Sam
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DB gets the not so subtle current RB scene.So categorized,cliqueville,hickville and closed for the most part.

I toured the US West Coast with Vancouver's Deadcats 11-12 years ago as far down as Tuscon and it seemed that the more sub-sub genred the bands we played with,the more difficult and confrontational they were.We sucked,but at least couldn't be categorized.It really fucked them 'Murican Good Olds up...Hello,Nickey Tiger Army,Deadbolt!Was daddy a Marine?

The saving grace being that the few genuine musicians were really cool,accepting of foreigners and could dig where we were coming from,musically speaking and enjoyed us mixing punk,surf,country,hardcore and rockabilly.

The scene was the same in London,circa '76 with the Teddyboys and punks.The Teds felt threatened by time marching on,and for very good reason.Loves me sum brothel creepers,though.
1/29/13 11:32 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Majic Sam, are you still playing with the Deadcats?
1/30/13 12:07 AM
Majic Sam

DB,you know those boys?

Not played with them since '07.Still,they live on,dead cats.

I love them to bits,but the singer has a massive ahead-of- the-beat vocal style,unlike Willie/Ricky Nelson.Felt like pulling teeth getting him to lay back and relax some.Too bad,cuz I thoroughly dig the songs.

Being a drummer,I have to accomodate and adjust to the singer's timing and it just felt off to me.Their latest drummer,Kermit Von Munster,could care less,rocks and suits the fold way better as a result.
1/30/13 10:59 AM
DasBeaver

I only know of them, checked out the music after you mentioned the name once before. I dig'em! I've been playing with a horror-punk/rockabilly kind of band the last little while and they also fall into that (if you can call it a

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.