UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Less pressure, more fun

1/4/13 9:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Braxmax
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FRAT...
There's a lot of pressure to learn and improve. I've thought a lot recently about bjj goals and improvement. There's a lot to learn. I've been a blue belt for over a year and feel pressure to get better quickly. I'm 35 with a career, family, and other interests. I spend 5-10 hours/week in class and rolling but with all the info available and young teammates putting in 4x as much mat time my competitive spirit has been pushing me to drill, learn, and improve faster than I really am capable of. This has frustrated me and I recently asked a brown belt friend how he made it through blue to purple. Did he drill, keep detailed notes, watch tons of videos, take a bunch of privates etc?? His response was excellent for me, a mid 30s hobbyist without world champion aspirations. He said this: "I want to train for a long time. I have a job and if I want to keep bjj fun I can't make it work. I didn't over train or try to keep up with the 19 yr old phenoms. I kept some notes and took some privates, but mostly I kept it fun and tried to analyze my progress without making it a job. Just come to class and be consistent. As a hobbyist you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. Have fun and drill some, but don't think you have to be the best. If its not fun you'll be more likely to quit and that's the opposite of what you need to do to train for the next 30 years"

This advice was excellent for me. I'm sure many will disagree but these words hit home for me. I'm competitive by nature and have a tendency to push myself so far I stop having fun with sports that should be enjoyable. I was on the brink of taking bjj too far for me. I'm already obsessed and going much further could push me to the point that I'm no longer having fun. For people like me I think balance is key. Progress is necessary but I know some guys will pass me and I need to be ok with that. I also need to work and spend time with my family. Bjj has a place and I need to keep it there. Taking my bjj performance too seriously could kill my love for this perfect hobby. Thanks jack for the direction! Phone Post
1/4/13 10:07 PM
joshjitsu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's great advise. Your journey is your journey. Make sure to enjoy it, if its not fun then why do it? Phone Post
1/5/13 12:54 AM
shen
1049 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/05/13 12:56 AM

Sorry, but that's not going to help you.

Keeping it fun won't work...

You NEED to keep it playful.

1/5/13 1:08 AM
TheBearStare
299 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen -
Sorry, but that's not going to help you.

Keeping it fun won't work...

You NEED to keep it playful.

. Phone Post
1/5/13 1:55 AM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forget trying to learn and drill the sensory overload of every instructional move out there because there is not enough time to do that and put it all together in any meaningful way. Watch videos of world class guys having a friendly roll at who's ever gym AND DO WHAT THEY DO. Study the technical details of a particularly artful match, rewind, freeze, rewind again etc until you see what happened, who made what mistake and how died the other capitalize. Emulate that style of opportunistic flow, knowing when to play loose and when everything must be tight. You CAN get better with less mental congestion and have more along the way.

3 cents (adjusted for inflation).
1/5/13 1:58 AM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

last sentence should read "have more FUN along the way".
1/5/13 11:36 AM
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i understand competitive , rener gracie " its me bro" i dont know what i was thinking,at that point i just took it easy

1/5/13 3:54 PM
kying418
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

keepitplayful

I love it!
1/5/13 8:34 PM
Seul
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt for my threads so I can read over this repeatedly, good advice. Phone Post
1/6/13 9:40 PM
AlphaSlap
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Turtle wins the race

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.