UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Invicta looking for answers after USTREAM fail

1/6/13 2:28 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

InvictaFights ‏@InvictaFights
To help us document the issues our fans faced with our Ustream live stream please email us with details of your problems info@invictafc.com

Frustrated. That's the word Invicta FC president Shannon Knapp used at least a half-dozen times when I spoke to her on Sunday morning about what had gone wrong with the pay-per-view live stream of Invicta FC 4 on Saturday night.

Some said they spent a half-hour or more trying to get USTREAM to accept their payment so they could watch the event. Others paid for a stream that wouldn't start or simply wouldn't stop crashing in the middle of fights. Knapp heard about it all as it was happening, but neither Knapp nor her staff could get through to anyone at USTREAM to ask them what the problem was.

"There was no one responding," Knapp told MMAjunkie.com. "And people don't get upset with USTREAM. They get upset with us because it's our commitment and our word."

On Invicta's end, Knapp said, the set-up was the same as it had been for the previous three events. Same on-site streaming company, same production people. Everything was in place for Invicta's first voyage into pay-per-view territory. Everything except the ability to reliably accept payment and deliver the product in return.

"When people can't pay, that's a problem," Knapp said. "And people wanted to pay. That's an even bigger problem."

Give Knapp credit, though. When she saw that the paid streaming option wasn't working, she instructed USTREAM to take down the pay wall and promised refunds to those who had already paid. She essentially gave up on the pay-per-view option – the one that was supposed to give Invicta the data it needed to prove something to potential TV partners – midway through the event. Instead of holding out hope that USTREAM would get it figured out in time, Knapp decided to give it away for free and abort the whole pay-per-view mission after it had only just begun.

That was the right call, but probably not an easy one to make.

Invicta made the best of a bad situation on Saturday night, but now what? Knapp still isn't sure, she said. The next event is targeted for April, and, Knapp said, "if we don't have a [TV] partner by then, we'll be streaming in some capacity, whether we're giving it away or not."

Read entire article...

1/6/13 2:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Calavaro
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So why don't we toss US$ 7.95 a head their way anyway to show that we are here and we want them to make money to put on more exciting fights?

1/6/13 2:32 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ustream is horrible for streaming now. Invicta would be better just to get youtube streaming rights (Yes you need to be partnered to live stream on youtube) but it would be better than Ustream
1/6/13 2:34 PM
Carla Esparza #1 Fan
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seeing as there was actual money involved, I wouldn't be surprised to see some legal action from Invicta against Ustream after that debacle.

1/6/13 2:55 PM
Kirik
1745 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Huge respect to Knapp for playing the best hand available in a nightmare.

1/6/13 3:00 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Respect for Knapp for doing the right thing. USTREAM should incur some losses because of this botchjob
1/6/13 3:02 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

This.

1/6/13 3:02 PM
Clarence Parents
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish there was a DONATE button on InvictaFC.com so that I could give the money I had planned on spending with them last night. Even with the tech issues I still enjoyed the show and watched a few of the fights again on the replay.
1/6/13 3:03 PM
Carla Esparza #1 Fan
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryann Von Doom - 
Carla Esparza #1 Fan -

Seeing as there was actual money involved, I wouldn't be surprised to see some legal action from Invicta against Ustream after that debacle.

Exactly. I hope they do, specially with those fuckers not answering calls?

Imo i'd get rid of the production team they have too. But that's due to them stating "broadcasting in 720p but it's up to the user's connection to the server the quality they get." Phone Post

Yeah, but honestly, I hope they just get a small tv deal.  Maybe Fight Network in Canada and AXS in the States or something.  Streams have always been a rough go for MMA.  Look at how many times Tachai had screwed streams....

1/6/13 3:04 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

This.

1/6/13 3:13 PM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it shows integrity and good business sense that Knapp acted the way she did. It shows she has love for the sport and her product and she is willing to make financially hurtful decision in the short terms to hopefully reap the benefits in the long term.

Having said that i do believe that should at least be on Youtube with there show.

I also believe that they pushed the PPV angle to fast. While i do think the price was very fair i am personally a little doubtful if there is an audience big enough for woman MMA on PPV at this time.I know she is already working hard to get a broadcasting partner but i really see this as the only option at the moment to stay financially viable. That together with the Youtube options are really must is Invicta wants to survive.

1/6/13 3:14 PM
Forever12er

Ustream licks pouch Phone Post
1/6/13 3:22 PM
JustAnotherMMAFan
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had minor issues... the stream froze up three or four times. Once, I was knocked offline. It was hard to figure out how to log in as well.

I don't want to get refunded. I want Invicta to grow and become big.

Yesterday's show was amazing.

And, please, please, let Alexis Davis fight Ronda Rousey. She was pwing Shayna Bazler on the ground, and was winning the striking exchange as well...!
1/6/13 3:31 PM
PrettyBoy
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is Invitica somehow partnered with the UFC? I'm just wondering why the UG pumps them like a super promotion when they are still streaming fights?

I see nothing on UG News about the MFC,RFA or other (AXStv promotions) ...ever.

I have only seen one thread about WSOF (NBC Sports) threads when they signed someone.

Bellator (Spike) until very recently was non existent on this sight and they still pretty much are as far as the news section is concerned.

How are all of these TV promotions less newsworthy than a streaming one on MixedMartialArts.com?

Are they going to start making threads about BammaUSA or other local promotions who stream fights?

What about CageWarriors or foreign promotions that have tv deals in Europe? Phone Post
1/6/13 3:43 PM
DiscipleDojo
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disciple Dojo, L3C, Founder

^ Being the only all-women's org right now, Invicta is a unique and newsworthy subject to cover. Plus they have a good relationship with the UG and Shannon Knapp is a class act. People click on stories about them, thus they help generate revenue for the UG. At least that's my guess to answer your questions.

1/6/13 3:57 PM
the geek
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DiscipleDojo -

^ Being the only all-women's org right now, Invicta is a unique and newsworthy subject to cover. Plus they have a good relationship with the UG and Shannon Knapp is a class act. People click on stories about them, thus they help generate revenue for the UG. At least that's my guess to answer your questions.

This, and the fact that its the UG posters themselves creating tons of threads. That should indicate that we as the users/fans want to hear/read about news related to the organization. Phone Post
1/6/13 4:00 PM
DamnSevern
1192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PrettyBoy -  Is Invitica somehow partnered with the UFC? I'm just wondering why the UG pumps them like a super promotion when they are still streaming fights?

I have only seen one thread about WSOF (NBC Sports) threads when they signed someone.

Bellator (Spike) until very recently was non existent on this sight and they still pretty much are as far as the news section is concerned.

How are all of these TV promotions less newsworthy than a streaming one on MixedMartialArts.com?

Are they going to start making threads about BammaUSA or other local promotions who stream fights?

What about CageWarriors or foreign promotions that have tv deals in Europe? Phone Post

no offense to invicta, but I was thinking the same thing

1/6/13 4:02 PM
rnunz
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I could see the UFC buying them out in the near future to incorporate their roster, that is if they are serious about the whole WMMA thing.

1/6/13 4:06 PM
ferocitytv
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope they can stay on the net in some pay per view capacity. I don't subscribe to cable.
1/6/13 4:06 PM
G-Hands
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

she should talk to Shoemoney about better options. & no, I'm not joking. Dude knows his stuff inside & out and could definitely help Invicta out with the issues they've been encountering.
1/6/13 4:26 PM
Carla Esparza #1 Fan

DamnSevern - 
PrettyBoy -  Is Invitica somehow partnered with the UFC? I'm just wondering why the UG pumps them like a super promotion when they are still streaming fights?

I think the issue with the MFC is that it's a strictly Canadian promotion, and not even very popular in Canada.  Pav overblows it a lot.  I would like to see more however on here about some of the shows in Europe that draw lots of people.

I think some of it may also be that Invicta has a good enough relationship with most of the major orgs that they are able to constantly bring in most of the best WMMA fighters in the world to fight with them.

1/6/13 4:48 PM
MattBenwa
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's really hard to take them seriously when they say USTREAM wasn't responding, yet they were able to get the pay wall taken down (which seems to be false anyway)? Unless there is some kind of automated portal they have access to in real-time I see this as a huge contradiction.
1/6/13 4:54 PM
DamnSevern
1192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carla Esparza #1 Fan - 
DamnSevern - 

I think the issue with the MFC is that it's a strictly Canadian promotion, and not even very popular in Canada.  Pav overblows it a lot.  I would like to see more however on here about some of the shows in Europe that draw lots of people.

I think some of it may also be that Invicta has a good enough relationship with most of the major orgs that they are able to constantly bring in most of the best WMMA fighters in the world to fight with them.

dude I wasnt even talking about the MFC, more like Bellator

there are like 8 invicta stories in the news section.

1/6/13 4:54 PM
Onnie804yamsaki

Invicta is a joke. I have tried to stream three events from them over the past few months on brand new computers and different internet connections.they have to be bleeding like hell from.this considering how the past few times they said they would fix it.i remember one time they kept saying o its up over and over while me and a bunch of others clicked refresh for two hours.you have to be bottom line negligent to believe you can have a succesful promotion and gather new fans when the hardcore ones cant even access your free streams after month and hours. What do i have to do to be a fan cause i am not wasting anymore than the six hours i already have.

I have written a post like this after each event then i hear rediculous claims on stream viewership while most of us cant even view it.makes invicta look downright ghetto when you can spend hours and not even view yet they keeptalking about growth. Hello you cant even appease the fans you have and they are willing to try for hours to view the product.they no longer have me as a fan cause there expectations for me as a fan to watch there events are more demanding thanufc. Shit i would rather pay for ufc ppv thenclick refresh for hours to view a stream claiming to have over 100k viewers.its even worse than half of what i explained bc of the consistency of there errors. I have no doubt they will fail as with any other product losing ninety nine percent of your already hooked fans would be enough to solve the problem. Yet they do it over and over and spout out all this shit about wmma growing and blahblah. Hello guys you practically shat on your fans. Such a complete joke if i worked the amount of time i tried to spend on viewing there stream for months i could buy three ufc ppvs.

Bc of your crappy treatment of fans and lack of professionality to fix a serious error that is bleeding your money over and over and over i have given up on trying to be a fan. You know your promtion sucks when you cant even get the most hardcore of fans to see your shit.i should be an extremely easy sale.so i can only imagine with all the similar post i saw how many fans they have lost due to there own stupidity. I am not up to date on whos fault it is but i will go with the promotion itself considering it has not been ironed out over months of this continuing with a legal free stream. How hard is it to stream legitametely to your fans when i can find perfect illegal unofficial streams of ufc events within five minutes. They dont deserve to succeed with there obvious lack of business accumen.a fourteen yr old russian can stream better to me without any resources than a huge promtion trying to grow by setting up a legal free stream.

Its actually pretty funny and ironic when you figure its a wmma org .
1/6/13 4:57 PM
Korpiklaani

maybe casue invicta cards are way better than any other mma org out there right now, women fighters are much more exciting in general than males

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.