UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> looking at Page X Machida VS Hendo X Machida

1/7/13 10:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/07/13 10:27 AM

I think Hendo could and should follow the script that Rampage laid out in RD.'s 1 & 2 in that fight. Cut of the cage and be very deliberate looking to counter (like JBJ did VS Machida with the short right) and using a clinch.

If Rampage can use that strategy and win rounds so can Hendo. Probably Hendo could just a little easier too as he does bring the threat of the TD to the table (Page is not crazy about them and likes to try to box although he did have 1 in the Machida fight). Machida will be weary of the overhand right which he has always had and issue with and the clinch and TD's which will give Hendo more freedom to operate (VS what Page had).

Sidebar- Granted in Pride because Page slowed down from the start of Rd.3 and Machida took that round clearly, unlike the razor thin 1st and 2nd rounds, he's have won the decision - scoring the fight as a whole is superior.
1/7/13 10:37 AM
ufc98newb
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think that fight is an obvious blueprint for hendo to operate against Machida, but I also see machida having more success with td's against Hendo, if he plays the clinch game. This could be argued, but Hendo seems to go down easier than Page, despite the greco pedigree...and Machida def has pretty solid takedown game

1/7/13 10:46 AM
Lazer MMA

ufc98newb - 

i think that fight is an obvious blueprint for hendo to operate against Machida, but I also see machida having more success with td's against Hendo, if he plays the clinch game. This could be argued, but Hendo seems to go down easier than Page, despite the greco pedigree...and Machida def has pretty solid takedown game

It's very hard to get Hendo down from the clinch. I don't think I've seen that in quite a while and it was VS a much bigger fighter. Hendo can be taken down if he is too focused on striking and gets shot in on though (that is when he is most vulnerable).

Machida did ok VS Page in the clinch. Hendo is a step up from that.
1/7/13 10:50 AM
epwar
578 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Dan will lose a controversial decision here.  Machida won't do anything for 2 rounds and then a 30 second flurry in the 3rd round.  Machida fan's will orgasm and claim that is what won him the fight and the judges will agree.

1/7/13 11:01 AM
Lazer MMA

DoomFarmer -  I hope Machida finishes Dan.

Don't want another "controversial" anything. Phone Post

Yea easy to finish Hendo. It's much more likely that if there is a stoppage it will be Hendo right or left that is responsible IMO. Hendo's chin is legendary.
1/7/13 11:03 AM
Big Pookie
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would say that Machida lost that fight more than Rampage won it, if you know what I mean.

Its not like Rampage had a game plan, he fights the same way every fight. It was Machida's game plan that lost him the fight. I don't think he will use a similar game plan against Hendo.

1/7/13 11:22 AM
Lazer MMA

Big Pookie - I would say that Machida lost that fight more than Rampage won it, if you know what I mean.

Its not like Rampage had a game plan, he fights the same way every fight. It was Machida's game plan that lost him the fight. I don't think he will use a similar game plan against Hendo.

Yes I think Machida said he was no aggressive enough in the fight. The issue is though (this goes for BOTH fighters), the risk of being countered when coming in is huge and a potential EASY game changer in the fight too.

Either fighter would rather have the other coming into them being aggressive for sure. It's more in Hendo's nature to do this though, so I pointed to him needing to fight deliberately.
1/7/13 11:29 AM
KZTT_FawkingxD
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Idk how hendo throws it but it seems he always get a real good hit in. I say his movement is between rampage and badgers, I don't know how he wins this without cutting off and getting a hbomb shot in or fall then scramble and throw hard bombs.

But I got machida decision or first to tko hendo Phone Post
1/7/13 12:15 PM
orcus

Many think Rampage should have lost that decision, so I don't know why anyone thinks Dan should follow a similar strategy.

1/7/13 12:46 PM
Lazer MMA

Edited: 01/07/13 12:47 PM

TTT
1/7/13 12:48 PM
Lazer MMA

orcus - 

Many think Rampage should have lost that decision, so I don't know why anyone thinks Dan should follow a similar strategy.

It helps to read the 1st post, but you troll never even watched so many fights anyway. I guess it's more consistent not to read the OP as well.
1/7/13 6:05 PM
Lazer MMA

TTT
1/7/13 6:57 PM
ufc98newb
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

perhaps some would say it is the only chance he has to beat a fighter who has a greater skillset and more athleticism at this point

many think rampage should have lost, but many of those same people might think he would have lost more dramatically using any other strategy

1/7/13 8:37 PM
Lazer MMA

Yes maybe this was the only good strategy for Page.
1/7/13 8:55 PM
epic hero

Rampage fight showed me how limited Machida's offense can be if approached in the correct way. Sure it was a controversial decision and Rampage was getting worked at the end but for two rounds, Machida got almost nothing off. Maybe the KO loss to Shogun played a role in his hesitation and it was still too fresh in his mind, but Machida's offense can be stifled, and that is the main thing that fight showed me. If you look at the fight, it's in round 3 when Rampage throws a lazy kick and drops his guard for the first time, that's when he got caught.

Machida is a tricky guy to fight. You will either look good or will look very bad against him. Henderson has struggled with guys who have used movement, however. When he fought guys who stood right in front of him and traded, he had a lot of success. There's a chance that Henderson does what Rampage does, which is to keep a tight guard and cut off the cage, initiating clinches. There is another chance that Machida just makes him look very bad and picks him apart the entire fight.

I think if Henderson has the right gameplan he can win. I think it's a winnable fight for either guy, but I'm definitely not counting Henderson out.
1/7/13 9:02 PM
epic hero

ufc98newb - 

To be fair Henderson is very difficult to take down and control when he is fresh. Machida is deceptively strong in the clinch, however.

It's just very to predict this fight because Henderson has been fighting guys who have stood and traded right in front of him and obviously Machida will not do that, so it's hard for me to say how he will perform. I favor Machida but I think Henderson with the right gameplan can win.
1/7/13 9:05 PM
Lazer MMA

epic hero - 
ufc98newb - 

To be fair Henderson is very difficult to take down and control when he is fresh. Machida is deceptively strong in the clinch, however.

It's just very to predict this fight because Henderson has been fighting guys who have stood and traded right in front of him and obviously Machida will not do that, so it's hard for me to say how he will perform. I favor Machida but I think Henderson with the right gameplan can win.

When was the last time you saw Hendo straight taken down from the clinch position?

"Hendo can be taken down if he is too focused on striking and gets shot in on though (that is when he is most vulnerable).

Machida did ok VS Page in the clinch. Hendo is a step up from that."
1/7/13 9:17 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Hendo, but I hate this match up and the comparison isn't the best. Hendo isn't a Boxer, he brawls and gets into exchanges. Plus, Dan is way smaller in height/weight than Rampage. It's an all around a different fight.
1/7/13 9:31 PM
Lazer MMA

Immaculata - I love Hendo, but I hate this match up and the comparison isn't the best. Hendo isn't a Boxer, he brawls and gets into exchanges. Plus, Dan is way smaller in height/weight than Rampage. It's an all around a different fight.

Hendo's boxing is at an all time high and if you couldn't see that VS Shogun with his short clean strokes (starting even in the first minute dropping Shogun), then there is no use commenting even.

Size means nothing in this comparison as well as it's power that matters and Hendo has plenty.

0/10
1/8/13 8:05 AM
Lazer MMA

TTT
1/8/13 10:08 AM
Lazer MMA

epic hero - Rampage fight showed me how limited Machida's offense can be if approached in the correct way. Sure it was a controversial decision and Rampage was getting worked at the end but for two rounds, Machida got almost nothing off. Maybe the KO loss to Shogun played a role in his hesitation and it was still too fresh in his mind, but Machida's offense can be stifled, and that is the main thing that fight showed me. If you look at the fight, it's in round 3 when Rampage throws a lazy kick and drops his guard for the first time, that's when he got caught.

Machida is a tricky guy to fight. You will either look good or will look very bad against him. Henderson has struggled with guys who have used movement, however. When he fought guys who stood right in front of him and traded, he had a lot of success. There's a chance that Henderson does what Rampage does, which is to keep a tight guard and cut off the cage, initiating clinches. There is another chance that Machida just makes him look very bad and picks him apart the entire fight.

I think if Henderson has the right gameplan he can win. I think it's a winnable fight for either guy, but I'm definitely not counting Henderson out.

This was a good post IMO
1/8/13 10:24 AM
ufc98newb

Lazer MMA - 
epic hero - 
ufc98newb - 

When was the last time you saw Hendo straight taken down from the clinch position?

"Hendo can be taken down if he is too focused on striking and gets shot in on though (that is when he is most vulnerable).

Good points... I'll admit I've probably only seen maybe 5 complete Hendo fights, so my comments were a little uninformed and over generalized. While I have seen Hendo taken down often enough, by guys who I would say have equal or less takedown ability than Machida, it has not often been from the clinch or when he's fresh.

Machida is gonna need to be careful in the first rd, beginning of 2nd, while making hendo work, so he can own the 2nd half of the fight.

1/8/13 10:34 AM
ortman166

Yeah let's use a losing gameplan and hope the judges fuck up again... Derp Phone Post
1/8/13 10:41 AM
Lazer MMA

ortman166 -  Yeah let's use a losing gameplan and hope the judges fuck up again... Derp Phone Post

it's debatable as to if it lost in a 10 point must for Page. I explained why Hendo should do better at it!

DERP
1/8/13 10:54 AM
Lazer MMA

ufc98newb - 
Lazer MMA - 
epic hero - 
ufc98newb - 

Good points... I'll admit I've probably only seen maybe 5 complete Hendo fights, so my comments were a little uninformed and over generalized. While I have seen Hendo taken down often enough, by guys who I would say have equal or less takedown ability than Machida, it has not often been from the clinch or when he's fresh.

Machida is gonna need to be careful in the first rd, beginning of 2nd, while making hendo work, so he can own the 2nd half of the fight.

Yea I think I remember the last time Hendo was straight taken down from a clinch and that was a LONG time ago and by MUCH bigger fighter than him too. The funny thing is he ended up on top in a quick scramble.

Now Machida is very good in the clinch too and has taken guys down from there (Page BTW) but no way will he take Hendo down from there though IMO. Also like Dan he is not a guy you see shoot a lot from a standing position. It looks good for Dan to be able to execute this plan (thread) IMO.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.