UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> CRCA Darris Larsen

1/7/13 1:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
aries45
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was hoping someone on here could tell me a but about this group. He's a wing chun guy but also does crazy monkey boxing and looking at his website it look like he tries to functionalize his style. Any opinions would be valuable.

1/7/13 6:07 PM
aries45
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's part of randy Williams(?) group. I looked around more about randy Williams but its tough to gauge. Phone Post
1/8/13 8:15 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

aries45 Does he or his students compete in MMA?
if not, watch him or his students spar...
If they are hitting all the ranges and people are actually trying to win the matches.....you might be ok with this guy....
But if they are not testing their skills it might not be what you are looking for.
my 2 cents
1/8/13 9:28 PM
aries45

Thanks joe. My only background is Muay Thai and bjj/mma. I want to develop "my jkd" now that I'm getting older and don't really care about competing. The guy seems to be saying the right things but I may have real trouble if he has me doing any of the hokey pokey king fu stuff or some kind of Rex kwon do. Worth a look though. I'll update this after I train with him. Phone Post
1/9/13 10:08 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/09/13 10:09 AM
aries45....Thai,bjj,mma background? You are all set to create a JKD approach for yourself.
1.What's your goal?
2.What are the obstacles or limitationsyou will need to overcome?
3.What's the end game?

Customize your background training to fit your personal goals. Focus on your god given gifts, speed, balance etc. Use those gifts as the heart and soul of your JKD ideas and you are off.

IMHO you already have the tools, become your own teacher and create a unique concept for you. Try it, if you get stuck, give me a shout and maybe I can help with some direction.....Have fun.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.