UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC buys LA Boxing chain

1/7/13 5:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
lifeaftrprison
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Curios what will change for the franchise owner ? Who will foot the bill for the changes in marketing , signage , equipment etc Phone Post
1/7/13 5:17 PM
vaginal tear
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lifeaftrprison - Curios what will change for the franchise owner ? Who will foot the bill for the changes in marketing , signage , equipment etc Phone Post
I was told that it's just the corporate gyms that will change over. Personal franchises will stay as is. That doesn't make any sense to me though. Who will design new shirts, will both gyms have the same holiday specials? Seems like it would be a headache. Phone Post
1/7/13 5:26 PM
lifeaftrprison
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vaginal tear -
lifeaftrprison - Curios what will change for the franchise owner ? Who will foot the bill for the changes in marketing , signage , equipment etc Phone Post
I was told that it's just the corporate gyms that will change over. Personal franchises will stay as is. That doesn't make any sense to me though. Who will design new shirts, will both gyms have the same holiday specials? Seems like it would be a headache. Phone Post
That does not bode well for those franchise owners who invested into those ventures. Will they have to change their names since the UFC bought LA Boxing? Who will they pay the fees too if not? So many questions and issues Possible. Hopefully this sell will not hurt local franchise owners. Phone Post
1/7/13 5:29 PM
Slapsymaxi
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went to college with the guy Anthony that started LA Boxing...

I guess he's way more successful than me now...

Max Phone Post
1/7/13 6:38 PM
XxLiveBaitxX
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/07/13 6:42 PM
With Dana's boxercise credentials, this was a no brainer.
This will summount to a battle between a "corporate" combat franchise and the "mom and pop" MMA gyms owned/run by battle tested BB's (no disrespect to legit LA Boxing instructors).

I will open a business next to these locations called Round 4 (because only champions shop there) and sell dragon shirts/jeans, anything that says TapOut, Affliction, hair-dye, etc.
1/7/13 6:41 PM
jasonhightower
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStorm -

Cool... Got one of those about a mile from me. I probably wont switch though.. Im a night owl and like my 24 hour fitness

Can you do rear naked chokes at 24 hour? Phone Post
1/7/13 6:44 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dana comes full circle...hes probably gonna fire all those managers that were mean to him!

1/7/13 8:49 PM
Filo_Beto

I dont' understand how owning 5 gyms has been huge for the ufc as dana said.
1/7/13 9:30 PM
patches

bad news= for legit schools....now mcdojo era is officially here
1/7/13 10:05 PM
Prepare2Die

For later Phone Post
1/7/13 10:36 PM
yellow's Overseer
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post
1/7/13 10:49 PM
GladiatorGannon
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/07/13 10:58 PM
blueheron20816 - I teach a few classes at LA Boxing on the weekend for extra money, I guess this means I am finally a UFC employee lol. Wonder if Dana will sign my paycheck.

You heard it here first - Bluheron is a UFC fighter! He works for the UFC, and is in fact a fighter = no can defend.

Blueheron is a legit guy, but I smell a giant wave of posers hitting the scene. Every towelboy with 2 ammy fights will be telling people they're a UFC fighter.
1/7/13 10:54 PM
GladiatorGannon
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Filo_Beto - I dont' understand how owning 5 gyms has been huge for the ufc as dana said.

I assume that means they're profitable, and their business model has been validated. This is a whole other revenue stream the UFC has created, which is big. And now it's 24 gyms.

Nobody thought it was a big deal when the NFL managed to sell a few jerseys. This became a major revenue stream later.
1/7/13 11:16 PM
Kings21
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - 

wtf..i just looked it up...how come la boxing doesnt have any gyms in la?

I dunno but I just wanna put this out there...The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
1/8/13 12:04 AM
Greg Soto

I'm currently head instructor of la boxing Hoboken, NJ. I heard this was in the works over the last few months now it's official. Staff meeting tomorrow with the owners, will be interesting too see what will come of this. Phone Post
1/8/13 12:12 AM
patches

keep us posted...i gotta know who is getting it in the butt on this one
1/8/13 12:19 AM
MickColins
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wonder how many LA Boxerscise instructors will get to add "MMA instructor" to their resume. 

1/8/13 10:07 AM
blueheron20816
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GladiatorGannon - 
blueheron20816 - I teach a few classes at LA Boxing on the weekend for extra money, I guess this means I am finally a UFC employee lol. Wonder if Dana will sign my paycheck.

You heard it here first - Bluheron is a UFC fighter! He works for the UFC, and is in fact a fighter = no can defend.

Blueheron is a legit guy, but I smell a giant wave of posers hitting the scene. Every towelboy with 2 ammy fights will be telling people they're a UFC fighter.

Thats some black belt level logic right there!

And I do think your right, the level of posers out there is already too high for my liking. Put a UFC shirt on some of these guys and it will be all over.
1/8/13 10:09 AM
blueheron20816
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eagleswhat1 - 
vaginal tear - 
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - I doubt LA Boxing by itself was that successful but they have the locations already and staff. Plus they have existing member database which allows the UFC to come in and grow faster. I assume the UFC will have two sized gyms, the smaller ones like LA Boxing and the larger ones which the UFC has now.
Depends on the location and management. East coast gyms charge more and therefore have a higher gross. Some west coast gyms had better management and location and did better than others. Phone Post

I worked at two, Arlington, VA and Alexandria, VA. Easiest membership to sell. They brought me in via my MMA knowledge because they were starting a fight team, and wanted to have someone in the gym able to talk shop with the fighters and sell a lot of memberships. Great program for chicks...really shapes them up.
Our fight team was run by Jerome Wilson and Mark Delucca....Delucca is a monster. Our boxing trainer coached two European cats to the Golden Gloves in Washington DC/MD area and also to the regionals where they both won.
Thinking about going back to work there now that ZUFFA bought them out. Bet the perks are decent.

When did you work there? Im currently working out of the Tysons Corner, VA location, manager is a douche but overall not a bad gig for a little extra money.
1/8/13 10:36 AM
nyhcloyalty
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been training at an LA Boxing for 3 years, we've known for a bit but it's great news to everyone. Phone Post
1/8/13 11:04 AM
DiamondRyan5150

I am an Assitant GM at the Hillsboro Oregon location and it looks like some bad info is floating around.

Every LA Boxing is switching over to UFC gyms and the transition will begin this year starting with the coporate clubs.  After the coporate clubs are switched over then the franchises will begin the transition.

LA Boxing is a fitness gym that appeals to the average person looking to get in shape not someone training to fight.  The model has always been to employ active fighters to teach the classes but it is not a gym to train for fights.  I work at LA Boxing and I train at SportsLab with other professional fighters like Mike Pierce, Pat Healy, Ian Loveland, Dave Jansen etc.  We run jiu-jitsu classes at LA Boxing and some amature fighters represent the gym but we as empoyees have always been told to make money at the gym and find another place to train.

My opinions:

The LA Boxing model is the first successful model I have seen since beginning my fight career over 10 years ago.  The fact is that fighting is hard and a gym that just focuses on training people for fights will never appeal to the average person.  Fighters are broke and once the average person gets punched in the face they realize trying to be a fighter is not so fun. 

Working at LA Boxing is the best possible job for someone trying to make it as a professional fighter also IMO.  If you can not fully support yourself off fighting alone what better way to make a living then teaching basic boxing and kickboxing technique.

I think things will blow up for the UFC gyms now.  The model gives people a chance to train and learn basic boxing and kickboxing without getting beat up everyday.  You get in great shape and members who committ themselves see results.  It would be a smart time to invest if you have the opportunity because in a couple years the gyms will be too expensive to buy.   

1/8/13 12:16 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I shudder at the thought the of the knuckle-draggers
that would enter American UFC gyms.

I'm sure if we had them elsewhere it would be the same story,
but until then, our trogs just stay under their rocks.
1/8/13 12:18 PM
ShaqNoob
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let me trane bro.
1/9/13 12:31 AM
vaginal tear
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Greg Soto -  I'm currently head instructor of la boxing Hoboken, NJ. I heard this was in the works over the last few months now it's official. Staff meeting tomorrow with the owners, will be interesting too see what will come of this. Phone Post

whats the word?

1/9/13 3:03 PM
blueheron20816

dlong949 - I can't wait to "trane" at LA Boxing and tell everyone I'm a UFC expert!

Isn't this everything we stand against? Undisciplined and uneducated to the Martial Arts, soccer moms who think they can defend themselves with little to no sloppy technique, and throwing punches with their hands down? Posers that wear Tapout shirts and don't even train, telling everyone they do MMA when they took 2 classes?

This is an embarassment to anyone that trains hard and puts their heart and soul into it 100% thank you Dana White for ruining the sport of MMA. You've done as much damage to it as you have helped it, if not more.

Now, I can shave Tapout in my head and it will match the bumper sticker on my pikup truck. yeehawww, thugs and ghetto loser wannabes need not apply.

Why does it seem like all the people of questionable charactesr training MMA today were the ones getting beat up AND BAD GUYS in the 1990's Martial Arts Hollywood movies? The same dumb "thugs" stabbing and robbing people are now training "trane MMA". Pathetic.

blueheron20816 - I guess hard work does pay off you $20 for classes on the weekends = gas money + dollar menu

Well, I only work on saturday and I teach 2 classes then I usually have a PT session either before of after, so for 3 hours of work I walk away with around $90. I would say its worth it.

And I would go check one out before passing judgement like that, its not at all like you are describing, at least not yet. The people who are in the classes, at least most of them, are there purely to get in shape. I think most people understand what it is, and dont leave the gym thinking they are now badasses who can take on any would-be attacker. Its marketed as an exercise class, so they arent trying to reel in a bunch of MMA wannabes.

The only thing that bugs me is the "sparring class" that is run once or twice a week. Its run by some kung fu guy, who spars with each person one by one, never letting the people in the class spar with one another. They go super light (even though they have headgear and shinpads on), that way he can dance around and throw a lot of spinning garbage and whatnot to look good and sell his PT time. Everything thats taught is totally impractical.

Other than that its a pretty decent place, we'll see if the "trane UFC" crowd starts showing up now that the UFC name will be on the door. I personally wont put up with any of that shit, but thats because Im only there for a little extra money, its not my livelihood; the other instructors however may feed off it to sell their time.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.