UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rebney: We didn't alter a word

1/7/13 9:32 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In October, Eddie Alvarez completed his contracted fights with Bellator. In December, the UFC made him an offer:
•A $250,000 signing bonus;
•A $70,000 fight purse with a $70,000 win bonus for his first fight:
•Salaries escalating over the life of the deal;
•Ccontract was to cover a span of 40 months or eight fights, whichever occurred earlier.

However, Bellator exercised their option to match the offer.

Alvarez appeared recently on The MMA Hour recently and said contract negotiations with Bellator had gone off a cliff - he was being sued.

In an interview with MMAFIghting's Mike Chiapetta, Rebney explained his reasoning.

"I will tell you point blank, no questions asked, we matched it dollar for dollar, term for term and section for section," Rebney said. "To avoid any kind of ambiguity, let me make clear, we took the UFC contract, we took it out of the PDF format, we changed the name 'UFC' to 'Bellator' and we signed it. We didn't alter a word, we didn't alter a phrase, we didn't alter a section, we didn't alter a dollar figure."

Then how can it be that such a discrepancy between the two sides would arise? As far as Rebney can tell, Alvarez's issue comes from the projected dollar figures he could earn from the UFC's pay-per-view bonus structure.

"Could" is the operative word there, as according to Rebney, that pay-per-view money in the UFC offer to Alvarez is nothing more than a hypothetical.

"There is no guaranteed pay-per-view in the UFC offer to Eddie Alvarez," he says emphatically. "We as Bellator don't have to match projections. We don't have to match what could conceptually happen. We have to match guaranteed dollars and what the UFC contractually guaranteed would occur. That is what we are held to."

Despite that, Rebney said that Alvarez's pay-per-view stake was matched anyway, under the belief that Bellator could move into the pay-per-view market with the right fight, for example, a rematch of the notable 2011 bout between Alvarez and Michael Chandler.

"We have a quarter-of-a-million dollar check sitting and waiting to be sent to Ed and are ready to be scheduling bouts immediately," Rebney said.

"Ed and I have four years of a good working relationship and about 30 days of not a good relationship. When you weigh those factors out, there's a very high likelihood we could shake hands and get past it with a fair amount of ease. Ed's in business and as you can see from the numbers, it can be a very lucrative business. I know I can shove off and move forward, put things back in line in short order. I hope Ed can do the same. It may be a long, drawn out fight between the two or something that can be settled relatively quickly. We'll see."

Read entire article...

1/7/13 9:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Letibleu
1716 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

something is off...
1/7/13 9:35 PM
AllAmericanBoxing
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh lawdy dis gone get good. Phone Post
1/7/13 9:36 PM
Zomby
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator is being fair, so long as they give him fights.
1/7/13 9:37 PM
yellow wrkahlc

I don't buy it.

After the bullshit he pulled with Brookins and Tyson Nam, it's obvious he just wants to fuck Eddie's career up for a few months.

1/7/13 9:38 PM
Letibleu
1716 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh, I see what they did. since the PPV revenue is unknown, he choses to ignore it as ambiguous.

should read "we copied word for word 2/3rds of the contract"

So now they say they matched the offer but they didnt. Alvarez manager refused it on the terms that it is inferior and Bellator sues.
1/7/13 9:39 PM
shaqitup
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why would he ever agree to an 8 fight contract?
1/7/13 9:41 PM
Letibleu

again:

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd462/Letibleu/fucked.png
1/7/13 9:43 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

yellow wrkahlc - 

I don't buy it.

After the bullshit he pulled with Brookins and Tyson Nam, it's obvious he just wants to fuck Eddie's career up for a few months.

no. he clearly said they matched the ppv points as well

1/7/13 9:45 PM
JoeMimic
728 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku -
yellow wrkahlc - 

I don't buy it.

Wouldn't they... I don't know.... Need to actually be on pay per view first to offer to match that? Phone Post
1/7/13 9:45 PM
Chappie
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting, perhaps Zuffa should put Eddie in contact with Don Campbell. Phone Post
1/7/13 9:46 PM
da Vinci 81
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How long is the matching period? Couldn't Eddie just reject both offers and wait it out till he's a free agent and then sign with the UFC? He may take a hit in the second offer from them but he would at least avoid being tied up in litigation for months on end.
1/7/13 9:47 PM
Stu Cazzo
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matching the offer can't be done since they don't do ppv cards.

Zuffa lawyers will drain this guy's bank account in court.

Good luck with that -

1/7/13 9:48 PM

JoeMimic - 
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku -
yellow wrkahlc - 

I don't buy it.

Wouldn't they... I don't know.... Need to actually be on pay per view first to offer to match that? Phone Post

no. if all the contract requires is to match the terms thats what they did.  obviously u dont know what the ppvs will be in the future.

1/7/13 9:49 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
869 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
1/7/13 9:49 PM

Stu Cazzo - 

Matching the offer can't be done since they don't do ppv cards.

Zuffa lawyers will drain this guy's bank account in court.

Good luck with that -

sure it can.  theres no guarantee bellator will have ppvs but theres no guarantee if with the ufc eddie would be on a ppv card or how many ppvs he would get if on a ppv card

1/7/13 9:50 PM
UGCTT_AsimpleFan
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be fair Zuffa could never put him on a PPV with all the Fox and FX cards. So that really isn't guaranteed money. I think Eddie might be in for a long ride. Phone Post
1/7/13 9:50 PM
yellow wrkahlc

Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

I don't buy it.

Before that, he said:

"We as Bellator don't have to match projections. We don't have to match what could conceptually happen. We have to match guaranteed dollars and what the UFC contractually guaranteed would occur. That is what we are held to."

How can he match PPV points if they aren't even on PPV yet? He later states he's willing to match when they move to the PPV market, but since that isn't a sure thing at this point, Bjorn can't guarantee it.

Eddie's not gonna sign a contract on the basis of "Oh, you might get me PPV monies? Sweet, I'll sign with ya again."

1/7/13 9:52 PM
yellow wrkahlc

UGCTT_AsimpleFan -  To be fair Zuffa could never put him on a PPV with all the Fox and FX cards. So that really isn't guaranteed money. I think Eddie might be in for a long ride. Phone Post

They can, and most likely will, just like they did with Lombard.  

Bellator can't match Zuffa's offer when they lack one of the important keys of the contract: PPV.

1/7/13 9:53 PM

yellow wrkahlc - 
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

I don't buy it.

Before that, he said:

"We as Bellator don't have to match projections. We don't have to match what could conceptually happen. We have to match guaranteed dollars and what the UFC contractually guaranteed would occur. That is what we are held to."

How can he match PPV points if they aren't even on PPV yet? He later states he's willing to match when they move to the PPV market, but since that isn't a sure thing at this point, Bjorn can't guarantee it.

Eddie's not gonna sign a contract on the basis of "Oh, you might get me PPV monies? Sweet, I'll sign with ya again."

the problem is you dont know what the right of first refusal looks like.  it could very well say that bellator only needs to match guaranteed money.  think about it does bellator nave to match fight of the night or backroom bonuses?

1/7/13 9:54 PM
Delorian
337 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The bottom line Bjorn, is that Eddie wants that sexy UFC exposure.  He wants the Nike endorsements, the ESPN body issue magazine shoot (BEEP!!!), and the fucking ROUND 5 ACTION DOLL!

I'd also like to add that the man wants to be placed into a division where there are an OVER ABUNDANCE  of TOP LEVEL lightweights instead of ONE or TWO other TOP LEVEL lightweights that your organization currently posseses. No disrespect Bjorn, I like your shit and all (and your old mans RV commercial), but the man's not getting any younger, and last time I checked, the UFC is still considered the pinnacle of MMA - a place where Eddie wants, and rightfully deserves to be.  

I know it's a tough pill to swallow, and as a fierce, competitive businessman like youself, I know you don't want to settle as the guy in second -- however that is what you currenty are.  SECOND.

Eddie is a FIRST PLACE fighter who deserves to fight in the FIRST PLACE promotion (as do Michael Chandler, Pat Curran, Storm, and countless other Bellator fighters).  You've used his name and body to boost your promotion into prime time for long enough now, so how about you give a little back and send the man off to where HE wants to go for the remainder of his career?  I think you owe him that much.

Have you no humanity? Can't you just think of the children? 

1/7/13 9:55 PM

UGCTT_AsimpleFan -  To be fair Zuffa could never put him on a PPV with all the Fox and FX cards. So that really isn't guaranteed money. I think Eddie might be in for a long ride. Phone Post

exactly. ufc should have guaranteed alvarez would be on x number of ppvs per year.  then bellator wouldnt be able to match that.  the issue tho is ufc doesnt want to bind itself that way either

1/7/13 9:55 PM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

Viacom to Rebney: 'Listen Bjork, lets get your 150K viewers rating up before we start helping you fund lawsuits'

1/7/13 9:59 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bjorn to be wild.
1/7/13 9:59 PM
stonepony

Take the UFC contract, and swap out the name to Bellator, and you have slashed the value of that contract.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.