UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> James Thompson to fight in UFC (sign here)

1/8/13 12:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Right Hand JO Power
989 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His fights are always fun to watch, especially if blood splatter hits the camera! Phone Post
1/8/13 12:44 PM
iTrane
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Signed
1/8/13 12:53 PM
The Mammoth
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

COLOSSAL COLLECTIVE! Phone Post
1/8/13 1:40 PM
Tomato Can
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DanCrase - 
Tomato Can - Good god no. I mean, congrats to the Colossus on putting together a little win streak, but lets not forget that before that he had lost 12 of 15 fights. Plus he's already in his mid-30s.

Yeah, and before that he went 12/2. You can't just select a rough patch in the middle of a man's career and use it as a measure to judge him. There are many reason's for a fighter having a rough patch and fighting ability is not necessarily the whole story.

I'll sign this all day; he's popular in many countries (UK, USA, Japan) which are places the UFC is focussed on and he never brings a boring fight.

I can't judge a fighter by a 3-12 stretch against very mixed competition, yet people are saying he's "turned the corner" based on 3 wins over Bob Sapp, Mariusz Pudzianowski, and Bobby Lashley? Come on.

I mean, if you just think he's a cool guy and want to see him on the big stage, that's fine, but you can't claim there aren't a few dozen more qualified HWs out there that the UFC could be bringing in.
1/8/13 1:42 PM
Big Pun
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/08/13 1:42 PM
Trying to argue he would sell ppvs? No way in hell anyone but his family is going to dish out cash to see Thompson at this stage in his career. That is the simple hard truth of it right now. There are some scenarios that may work though. The heavyweight division is pretty far from stacked right now when compared to the rosters of other divisions. It does have more wiggle room to get a guy like Thompson on a card, but the situation would need to be beneficial for both parties.

There are two scenarios that would come into play fr getting Thompson into the UFC right now. The most likely and least favorable to JT would be a short notice fight. Recently we had Mitrione try to fill Carwin's shoes, but why not JT in that spot. Neither fighter is overly marketable and you need someone to step up and fill a large card gap in a short amount of time. I would think JT would be near the top of the list for unsigned heavies in that category. The other would be as a feeder opponent on a UK card. You need higher level guy to knock of some ring rust, fill a fight obligation for a contract or you just need to showcase a guy who hasn't been seen in awhile. There's a spot for JT. The biggest problem is there is such a small window left to get the ideal situation to occur. Needless to say, JT MUST win any fight presented. If he can get his foot in the door and get a couple in the W column then he's back on his way. There are alot of things that need to go right for it to happen though. Luckily the heavy division has some wiggle room.
1/8/13 3:38 PM
ya
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane - 
sly fox - 

signed

^
1/8/13 3:40 PM
yellow wrkahlc
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's a UG representative, but I don't think he's ready for the UFC. 2-3 more fights outside and maybe they'll give him a shot.

1/8/13 4:12 PM
Deepy
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Signed, it would be nice to see him finish his career with the UFC. Phone Post
1/8/13 4:19 PM
And Wagners Cut

maq102192 - No Phone Post
Fuck you.

SIGNED! Phone Post
1/8/13 4:21 PM
And Wagners Cut

Mega Colossus -

How nice is that. Thanks I'd like 3 more decent fights and than I'm thinking Dana can't ignore the Colossus standing him right before him. I've got a lot of things plan from books,to podcast,random video, comedy sketches. But I'm a fighter and I untimely want to get in the UFC and finish my career there than I must be the fighter who's been fighting in the top orgs.  This is really nice to see and makes me want to stay on the right track and ride this positive wave. Just one thing the war wagon old its so 2000  ;)

it's all about the Colossal Collective

I like the sound of the colossal collective.

Needs to be on a t-shirt mate. Phone Post
1/8/13 4:26 PM
Mega Colossus
445 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JohnnyChrist - After going 1-8, Thompson has beat Pudz, Bob Sapp, and Bobby Lashley. Futhermore he did not look that great against Lashley and honestly I think any UFC HW would be able to beat Lashley quite thoroughly. While I really enjoy Thompson's posts on here I think he should get 2 or 3 solid wins before he's in the UFC, hopefully vs a former UFC hw too.

My stand up looked shit, to much bulk still and not expolsive enought. My take down defence and cardio were on point. That what i said while it good to get the W, it important not to get carry away. I reckon three soild wins and building up the different things i've got  going on lot of work to do inculding fighting but loving it.

1/8/13 4:27 PM
Mega Colossus
445 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gene Pitney - James would you consider trying out for the next TUF Heavyweight season?

If it's good enoght for Kimbo

1/8/13 4:28 PM
UGCTT_ATLien
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Signed.

Although I'd rather him fight McCorkle first.
1/8/13 4:39 PM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand

Edited: 01/08/13 4:40 PM

People saying "no" needa lighten up, he's a veteran of the sport and he deserves respect. And okay he doesn't have the greatest record, he still has a fan base and would put on exciting fights, so if he's committed and wins a few, what would be wrong with the UFC signing him for a couple fights to see how he does? 

I say bring on the 'Gong and Dash'!

1/8/13 4:44 PM
Mega Colossus

Tomato Can - Good god no. I mean, congrats to the Colossus on putting together a little win streak, but lets not forget that before that he had lost 12 of 15 fights. Plus he's already in his mid-30s.

Thank you for your patronising congrats, it mean so much. Yep and everyone took a little bit of my soul, as  like a lot of fighters do i they identify them self as a "CAGEFIGHTER" So a loss hits so hard because it's you, it's not just a loss. Plus i've just turn 34, that still early thirtys, mid thirtys 35-37 late thirtys 37-39 not that it bothers me or that i've give it much though. But i'm good for a bit.

1/8/13 4:46 PM
mixedmartialmike

Signed! Phone Post
1/8/13 4:47 PM
mixedmartialmike

Mega Colossus -

Thank you for your patronising congrats, it mean so much. Yep and everyone took a little bit of my soul, as  like a lot of fighters do i they identify them self as a "CAGEFIGHTER" So a loss hits so hard because it's you, it's not just a loss. Plus i've just turn 34, that still early thirtys, mid thirtys 35-37 late thirtys 37-39 not that it bothers me or that i've give it much though. But i'm good for a bit.

Only 34?? Damn I thought you were older lol Phone Post
1/8/13 4:48 PM
Mega Colossus

Cotton - Why would people here of all places not want to see him get a fight in the UFC? Talk about hating. Nobody is saying give him a title shot or a main event. How many cards does the UFC have this year? You fucks can't let him have a little shine? He may not be the most talented fighter, but he is really tough and always shows up to fight.

He is a good dude that is not only on here, but the Rogan Board as well. I can only imagine what he would say to Rogan if he won and got an interview. He might say something like "It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck your mother!" in a heavy British accent, which would be one of the most epic things ever to hear. That alone would be worth the fight.

Your an observational man, at the risk of sounding like staker fan, i have it all planned and yes it is life changing.

1/8/13 4:55 PM
Mega Colossus

Big Pun - Trying to argue he would sell ppvs? No way in hell anyone but his family is going to dish out cash to see Thompson at this stage in his career. That is the simple hard truth of it right now. There are some scenarios that may work though. The heavyweight division is pretty far from stacked right now when compared to the rosters of other divisions. It does have more wiggle room to get a guy like Thompson on a card, but the situation would need to be beneficial for both parties.

There are two scenarios that would come into play fr getting Thompson into the UFC right now. The most likely and least favorable to JT would be a short notice fight. Recently we had Mitrione try to fill Carwin's shoes, but why not JT in that spot. Neither fighter is overly marketable and you need someone to step up and fill a large card gap in a short amount of time. I would think JT would be near the top of the list for unsigned heavies in that category. The other would be as a feeder opponent on a UK card. You need higher level guy to knock of some ring rust, fill a fight obligation for a contract or you just need to showcase a guy who hasn't been seen in awhile. There's a spot for JT. The biggest problem is there is such a small window left to get the ideal situation to occur. Needless to say, JT MUST win any fight presented. If he can get his foot in the door and get a couple in the W column then he's back on his way. There are alot of things that need to go right for it to happen though. Luckily the heavy division has some wiggle room.

I think that a very well though out post i agree with you on the HW diverson being stack and i see why you would think those things. You can't know what i know good and bad you just have to wait and see (all this is just words) but i think when i turn out right. You will be good enoght to say you were wrong and vice verse if i'm wrong (i'm not)

1/8/13 4:56 PM
Mega Colossus

And Wagners Cut - 
Mega Colossus -

How nice is that. Thanks I'd like 3 more decent fights and than I'm thinking Dana can't ignore the Colossus standing him right before him. I've got a lot of things plan from books,to podcast,random video, comedy sketches. But I'm a fighter and I untimely want to get in the UFC and finish my career there than I must be the fighter who's been fighting in the top orgs.  This is really nice to see and makes me want to stay on the right track and ride this positive wave. Just one thing the war wagon old its so 2000  ;)

This is all in hand my friend, all in hand

1/8/13 4:56 PM
Mega Colossus

mixedmartialmike - 
Mega Colossus -

Only 34?? Damn I thought you were older lol Phone Post

OUCH

1/8/13 5:06 PM
Mega Colossus

This is what i sent Dana White a few hours ago on twitter, i just want him know i'm on my way. Follow us on twitter @JCOLOSSUS and give us a RT cheers (hand sign thing)

@danawhite STOP,Dana dont send a tweet asking me 2 be in the UFC i need a few more wins. But see u "fucking" soon.Colossal Collective PLS RT
1/8/13 5:09 PM
And Wagners Cut

Mega Colossus -
And Wagners Cut - 
Mega Colossus -

This is all in hand my friend, all in hand

Nice, send an XL my way. Phone Post
1/8/13 5:12 PM
DanCrase
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - 
DanCrase - 

Yeah, and before that he went 12/2. You can't just select a rough patch in the middle of a man's career and use it as a measure to judge him. There are many reason's for a fighter having a rough patch and fighting ability is not necessarily the whole story.

I'll sign this all day; he's popular in many countries (UK, USA, Japan) which are places the UFC is focussed on and he never brings a boring fight.

I can't judge a fighter by a 3-12 stretch against very mixed competition, yet people are saying he's "turned the corner" based on 3 wins over Bob Sapp, Mariusz Pudzianowski, and Bobby Lashley? Come on.

I mean, if you just think he's a cool guy and want to see him on the big stage, that's fine, but you can't claim there aren't a few dozen more qualified HWs out there that the UFC could be bringing in.

No, I'm not saying he's the NO.1 unsigned heavyweight right now, there are some guys who are no doubt higher on the list, but if Dana or anyone came up to me and said JT doesn't deserve a shot, I'd tell them straight up that I disagree.

Maybe James has a mixed record, and lost some that, looking at people he has beat, he should've won; but look at who he's been in there with. He's fought big names of the sport, and each time he's come to fight.

I'm not saying he's "turned the corner" based on his recent triple wins over these guys, but also because of the way he talks about the sport and competing again. During his rough patch, he seemed like a different person to who he was before and is now; look at the Overeem fight, for example, he looked like he didn't want to be there. But he's back in the game now, when James plays to his strengths he's a legitimately talented guy.

Say he puts together another 2 or 3 wins, which I fully believe he is capable of doing if he comes in playing to his strengths, will you still be saying he doesn't deserve a chance?
1/8/13 5:15 PM
Big Pun
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll eat my crow if I'm wrong. I still think you're going to need to open some eyes ver there at the Zuffa offfices and get a UK card to get started though. Like they stated, at 34 time is not on your side now. At 36 and a normal life things are starting to stiffen and pop. I can't imagine what a pro athlete must feel like at this age. With Strikeforce down how many name heavies are available to smaller organizations at this time? Assuming Barnett makes the UFC roster with Cormier, those two are off market. I'm not extremely familiar with the Bellator heavies, but they don't have many. Prindle maybe? The problem is the UFC has snagged up most of the top heavies that a guy can rebuild a name with. All speculation aside, I would like to know how you envision a return to the UFC roster and if it's even on your radar right now.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.