UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> What's the least worst bread to eat?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/8/13 2:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Toby Lerone
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been dieting since ny. Trying to minimize carbs and specifically wheat so minimal bread and pasta but when i occasionally do eat bread what are some options for minimum wheat, carbs or both?

Cheers Phone Post
1/8/13 2:59 PM
Ham and Egger
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ezekiel unless you want to sprout/grind your own flour.
1/8/13 4:18 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ezekiel bread tastes like cardboard that had a hose turned on it and was then baked. It is healthy though, as are most sprouted whole grain breads you'll find in the hippy section at the grocery store. With that said, if you're only eating a couple slices a week just get whatever wheat bread you like that tasted good and is minimally processed. I like Dave's Killer Bread lite.
1/8/13 5:34 PM
U4EA
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get wheat-free flour and make you own. Pretty easy to do.
1/8/13 6:55 PM
turducken
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the normal orange label ezekiel bread has soy in it. you have to buy the red label 7-sprouted grains one to get it without soy. sprouted bread usually tastes like crap out of the fridge, but gets a much nicer/fluffier texture when toasted.

sprouted manna bread is also good, but its really sweet and more like a cake. http://www.mannaorganicbakery.com/
1/8/13 7:30 PM
BALLSDEEP
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pumpernickel
1/8/13 10:28 PM
The Gunslinger

It's usually a good idea to find gluten free versions whenever possible. But, yeah, basically what others have said above.
1/9/13 1:41 AM
Mihow
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.amazon.com/Mestemacher-Bread-Whole-17-6-Ounce-Pack/dp/B00472672C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357713615&sr=8-1&keywords=german+rye

Mestemacher Bread Whole Rye

fucking love this bread

Ingredients
Whole Kernel Rye, Water, Wholemeal Rye Flour, Salt, Oat Fiber, Yeast
1/9/13 1:41 AM
Mihow
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the sunflower seed one is good too
1/9/13 4:21 AM
Toby Lerone
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looked into Ezekiel but its near on impossible to get here in the uk.

Think ill have a look for just a whole grain loaf from the supermarket as wont be eating a great deal of it.

Cheers for the replies. Phone Post
1/9/13 5:21 AM
U4EA

If you are in the UK, Sainsburys do a nice gluten-free seeded loaf. I don't think it's exactly health food, but it's free of most of the nasty stuff.

Sainsbury's Freefrom Soft Brown Seeded Bread 400g

Ingredients:
Water, Tapioca Starch, Rice Flour: Rice Flour; Potato Starch, Sunflower Oil, Sunflower Seeds (4%), Linseed (3%), Yeast, Psyllium Husk Powder, Millet Grain (2%), Humectant: Glycerine; Black Treacle, Stabiliser: Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose; Dried Egg White, Poppy Seed (1.5%), Maize Flour, Salt, Maize Starch, Rice Starch, Caramelised Sugar Syrup, Preservative: Calcium Propionate.
1/9/13 5:57 AM
Toby Lerone

U4EA - If you are in the UK, Sainsburys do a nice gluten-free seeded loaf. I don't think it's exactly health food, but it's free of most of the nasty stuff.

Ingredients:
Water, Tapioca Starch, Rice Flour: Rice Flour; Potato Starch, Sunflower Oil, Sunflower Seeds (4%), Linseed (3%), Yeast, Psyllium Husk Powder, Millet Grain (2%), Humectant: Glycerine; Black Treacle, Stabiliser: Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose; Dried Egg White, Poppy Seed (1.5%), Maize Flour, Salt, Maize Starch, Rice Starch, Caramelised Sugar Syrup, Preservative: Calcium Propionate.
Cool thanks. How's it taste? Only time I had gluten free was a pizza base and it wasn't great. Phone Post
1/9/13 11:40 AM
rrg1

big_slacker - Ezekiel bread tastes like cardboard that had a hose turned on it and was then baked. It is healthy though, as are most sprouted whole grain breads you'll find in the hippy section at the grocery store. With that said, if you're only eating a couple slices a week just get whatever wheat bread you like that tasted good and is minimally processed. I like Dave's Killer Bread lite.

I second Dave's. Good stuff.
1/9/13 1:05 PM
U4EA

Toby Lerone - 
U4EA - If you are in the UK, Sainsburys do a nice gluten-free seeded loaf. I don't think it's exactly health food, but it's free of most of the nasty stuff.

Ingredients:
Cool thanks. How's it taste? Only time I had gluten free was a pizza base and it wasn't great. Phone Post

I am badly gluten allergic and dairy can get to me too if I eat a lot of it.

I personally used to go anywhere near substitute foods because I thought they would be pretty rank. Sometime in the first half of last year, I was in Sainsburys and decided I would give the gluten free white bread a shot, not expecting much. It's actually really good stuff - white, brown, seeded etc and Sainsburys brand as well as the 'Genius' brand stuff. Sainsburys white rolls are fucking awesome too, I think they are better than the normal stuff. Their spaghetti is also really, really good... it's made from corn and rice and you wont even notice a difference. I have found ASDA's wheat-free pasta to become very flakey/floury when cooked but Sainsburys' spaghetti - which is the only wheat-free pasta stuff I have tried from them - is awesome.

This is a recipe page I started trying a few things off of recently...

http://www.glutenfreestudentcookbook.co.uk/recipes/

Not really what you are looking for by the sounds of your post, but the banana bread is fucking awesome. I usually substitute half the butter and all the vegetable oil with coconut butter and I am thinking about switching over from normal sugar to fructose.

Might be an idea to follow the pizza base recipe from that site and just add a tonne of healthy ingredients over it. I did that, and it's excellent.
1/9/13 3:56 PM
Toby Lerone

U4EA - 
Toby Lerone - 

Ingredients:

I am badly gluten allergic and dairy can get to me too if I eat a lot of it.

I personally used to go anywhere near substitute foods because I thought they would be pretty rank. Sometime in the first half of last year, I was in Sainsburys and decided I would give the gluten free white bread a shot, not expecting much. It's actually really good stuff - white, brown, seeded etc and Sainsburys brand as well as the 'Genius' brand stuff. Sainsburys white rolls are fucking awesome too, I think they are better than the normal stuff. Their spaghetti is also really, really good... it's made from corn and rice and you wont even notice a difference. I have found ASDA's wheat-free pasta to become very flakey/floury when cooked but Sainsburys' spaghetti - which is the only wheat-free pasta stuff I have tried from them - is awesome.

This is a recipe page I started trying a few things off of recently...

http://www.glutenfreestudentcookbook.co.uk/recipes/

Not really what you are looking for by the sounds of your post, but the banana bread is fucking awesome. I usually substitute half the butter and all the vegetable oil with coconut butter and I am thinking about switching over from normal sugar to fructose.

Might be an idea to follow the pizza base recipe from that site and just add a tonne of healthy ingredients over it. I did that, and it's excellent.

Great. Thanks for the tips.

1/9/13 9:32 PM
tristar
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

turducken - the normal orange label ezekiel bread has soy in it. you have to buy the red label 7-sprouted grains one to get it without soy. sprouted bread usually tastes like crap out of the fridge, but gets a much nicer/fluffier texture when toasted.

sprouted manna bread is also good, but its really sweet and more like a cake. http://www.mannaorganicbakery.com/

shit. had no idea it had soy in it. Been buying it for years, never bothered to check. thanks
1/9/13 10:44 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What does it matter if it has soy in it, are you allergic?
1/9/13 10:54 PM
turducken

big_slacker - What does it matter if it has soy in it, are you allergic?

some people dont want to consume phytoestrogen rich foods.

normal orange label ingredients:

Organic Sprouted Wheat, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Lentils, Organic Sprouted Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Spelt, Filtered Water, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt.

red label 7 sprouted grain ingredients:

Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Rye, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Oats, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Sprouted Corn, Organic Sprouted Brown Rice, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt.
1/10/13 9:55 AM
big_slacker

Some people don't want to consume wheat gluten even though they're not allergic to it because they read some alarmist article in men's health too. I mean, do what you want but if you think a few slices of bread with a small amount of soy in is the reason for your man boobs and small wang.... ;)

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.