UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> MMA/BJJ in Toronto

1/8/13 5:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
J_Wierzbowski
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Living downtown for the moment, would like to get some training in but from what I've experienced so far, everybody wants annual commitments at high rates. Is this the reality of living downtown? I would like to get some casual training in at a reasonable rate.
1/8/13 11:26 PM
k1levelstriking
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're missing out if you're living in Toronto and don't train at Toronto BJJ, and I say this as someone whose never been there and trains at an Alliance school in a different city, top notch students and incredible instructors, Jorge Britto is the man! Phone Post
1/9/13 2:20 AM
Dougie
840 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This BJJ thing is a fad. Go find some kung foo or karrote. You'll be fine!

1/9/13 8:30 AM
PKF
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.sbgtoronto.com
1/9/13 3:52 PM
J_Wierzbowski

Going with Toronto BJJ starting tomorrow, thanks.
1/9/13 4:08 PM
falkofire
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Jesse u won't be disappointed in the school, it's awesome fun and high level Phone Post
1/10/13 12:25 AM
J_Wierzbowski

falkofire -  Hey Jesse u won't be disappointed in the school, it's awesome fun and high level Phone Post

Thanks man, sounds like you're still missed around there! They said you recommended someone else go there? Anyone I know?
1/10/13 12:28 AM
J_Wierzbowski

Redraven - uh...doesnt torontobjj have like a 2 year contract now to train there...hint that is to stop members from leaving. No one can stay at that club because josh(Kashk on this site) is such a stupid fat bitch. You should hear the stories he told about the last instructor. Iam gonna get attacked for this but ohwell i hate this fake lying shit, most of the people who will attack me are Paid employees and last time i checked even most of them had been replaced. I have never met someone so hated and deservedly so. I dont think they do mma there anymore either that was always kind of a lie to get more members

I was recommended a six month one with limited classes for a cheaper rate...pretty much fits like a charm. Can't speak for anything else you're upset about... hopefully my experience will go better!
1/10/13 8:29 AM
robert bentley
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have trained with many different great people in the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu community in Toronto and ended up at Toronto BJJ by chance sometime in 2008. I have found Toronto BJJ to be an absolutely great, positive, and supportive training environment. With two well established and highly experienced black belts as the full time instructors (they teach most of the classes), and a number of very experienced and tournament tested Brown belts as assistant instructors - you always have access to great instruction.

You could say that I'm obviously biased, but I have nothing bad to say about the other great gyms we have in Toronto either - as a city we're truly spoiled to have access to so many good choices. Toronto BJJ won't be a perfect fit for everyone, but we're a welcoming and supportive club that has a great love for Jiu Jitsu. If Toronto BJJ doesn't work out for you - there are also places like Open Mat, Ascension, Lin Martial arts and numerous others.

Even though I've been there since 2008 I've never known anyone to get a 2 year contract, so I'm unsure where that individual is getting their information from. They're usually 6 months or a year.

1/10/13 5:46 PM
falkofire
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

robert bentley - I have trained with many different great people in the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu community in Toronto and ended up at Toronto BJJ by chance sometime in 2008. I have found Toronto BJJ to be an absolutely great, positive, and supportive training environment. With two well established and highly experienced black belts as the full time instructors (they teach most of the classes), and a number of very experienced and tournament tested Brown belts as assistant instructors - you always have access to great instruction.

You could say that I'm obviously biased, but I have nothing bad to say about the other great gyms we have in Toronto either - as a city we're truly spoiled to have access to so many good choices. Toronto BJJ won't be a perfect fit for everyone, but we're a welcoming and supportive club that has a great love for Jiu Jitsu. If Toronto BJJ doesn't work out for you - there are also places like Open Mat, Ascension, Lin Martial arts and numerous others.

Even though I've been there since 2008 I've never known anyone to get a 2 year contract, so I'm unsure where that individual is getting their information from. They're usually 6 months or a year.

This is accurate - Toronto Bjj is legit !

The 'vibe' is a lot of members very passionate about training Jiu Jitsu - with so many people working so hard to achieve their goals, endless hours on the mat together because of the vast class schedule, I could understand why they have such a sense of comradery Phone Post
1/17/13 10:51 PM
1armedScissor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been there for 6-7 years and couldn't be happier. Phone Post
1/18/13 2:38 PM
J_Wierzbowski

Josh has been friendly and welcoming =)
1/24/13 1:08 PM
falkofire

Loved josh when I was there, he really took me under his wing and went out f his way to make me feel welcome Phone Post
1/31/13 3:54 PM
uberpinscher
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

falkofire - 
robert bentley - I have trained with many different great people in the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu community in Toronto and ended up at Toronto BJJ by chance sometime in 2008. I have found Toronto BJJ to be an absolutely great, positive, and supportive training environment. With two well established and highly experienced black belts as the full time instructors (they teach most of the classes), and a number of very experienced and tournament tested Brown belts as assistant instructors - you always have access to great instruction.

This is accurate - Toronto Bjj is legit !

The 'vibe' is a lot of members very passionate about training Jiu Jitsu - with so many people working so hard to achieve their goals, endless hours on the mat together because of the vast class schedule, I could understand why they have such a sense of comradery Phone Post

I second this. I have no interest in the politics but from my experience TBJJ is an amazing place. Legit, world class instructors, massive group of super skilled students, a supportive but as competitive as you can handle atmosphere and a huge schedule.

If you want proper BJJ I can't imagine going anywhere else if you are close by to the downtown location.

I am a current member and will have 2 years under my belt come mid march.

2/4/13 11:05 PM
Eh_J
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been injured (shoulder surgery) for over a year, but can't wait to get back to Toronto BJJ. Josh is a good guy, and Jorge is awesome. You made a good choice. Phone Post
2/6/13 9:35 PM
joe canada
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dropped in on Toronto BJJ a few years back. Class group of guys.

Also check out Claude Patrick in Missasauga -- guy's got a great attitude and is a solid, solid BB technician.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.