UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Official Toronto Maple Leaf's Thread

1/8/13 11:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheLumberjackLisi
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrColdCock - Although the truth is, if the Leafs could ever turn it around, the bandwagon would be welcome to stop by my house and I would gladly hop on wearing my 93 Gilmour jersey. Phone Post
Just got a new one for Xmas Phone Post
1/8/13 11:31 PM
yusul
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the luongo deal isn't worth it if we have to give up reilly, gardner, kadri or frattin, or rynnas. i probably wouldn't give up finn or connor either.

they need cap space to chase players; we could give them reimer or scrivens, the ahl goalie of the year who is better than their goalie prospect as well as a few draft picks or prospects.

however, gillis will do everything to reem the leafs.
1/8/13 11:36 PM
Hemlock
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a Leaf fan.

I am very fucking angry about this last stoppage though. I will TRY to stay away from hockey as much as I can.

Haven't heard about any Luongo deal. If they trade Gardiner for anybody I will nit be happy.

Kadri I think they have ruined enough to safely trade away.
1/8/13 11:54 PM
heavyweightmma
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LETMEBANGBRO - LMAO

I don't understand how ANYONE can be a fan of the Leafs. And I'm from Toronto.

I like their style of play and their atmosphere when they play.

Two reasons there.
1/8/13 11:54 PM
Stache
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

heavyweightmma - 
hubris - you people never learn

Why are people so convinced the Leaf's will never ake a turnaround?

These turnarounds happen all the time in other sports.

About 35 years of disappointment will do that to you.
1/8/13 11:59 PM
heavyweightmma

They made the playoffs about 8 years ago though.

Not a great stretch at all, but this team was obviously on the right track last year until near the end for some reason.

Now they've Got JVR, who may or may not make things better in Toronto.

1/9/13 12:01 AM
GROUNDnLB
425 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

heavyweightmma - I'm also excited for our addition of James Van Reimsdyk.

Yeah we traded defense for offense, but I think that's what we needed anyways.
Yeah, because we need more shots on our net. Phone Post
1/9/13 12:05 AM
heavyweightmma

GROUNDnLB - 
heavyweightmma - I'm also excited for our addition of James Van Reimsdyk.

Yeah we traded defense for offense, but I think that's what we needed anyways.
Yeah, because we need more shots on our net. Phone Post

I just meant that he helps out a lot near the net, which when I payed attention last year is where some of our shots could've gone but didn't.
1/9/13 12:06 AM
Lun8
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VOTED UP! Great thread.
I hope Grabovski plays with Lupul an Kessel this season.
Also I hope Komisarek can redeem himself..but if not its good they can buy him out in the summer
1/9/13 12:06 AM
nhb1
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Favorite Leaf Borje Salming Phone Post
1/9/13 12:14 AM
Stache
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

heavyweightmma - They made the playoffs about 8 years ago though.

Not a great stretch at all, but this team was obviously on the right track last year until near the end for some reason.

And they stacked that team with old, big price tag players in order to do it. MLSE blew their load just to make the playoffs.

It's always been that way. Give the fans a carrot or two and watch them sellout the next 3 seasons. You're a new fan. Give it time, you'll see. Business as usual.

1/9/13 12:19 AM
heavyweightmma

Stache - 

And they stacked that team with old, big price tag players in order to do it. MLSE blew their load just to make the playoffs.

It's always been that way. Give the fans a carrot or two and watch them sellout the next 3 seasons. You're a new fan. Give it time, you'll see. Business as usual.

Maybe so . . . but this franchise hasn't always been a failure like you guys are saying so there's no way they can't turn it around. I enjoy watching them play and the team showed hope last season, so I'll stand by . . .
1/9/13 12:23 AM
Stache

Make you a deal... you cheer them into the playoffs and I'll hop on your bandwagon. Just save me a spot. :-)
1/9/13 12:25 AM
heavyweightmma

Stache - Make you a deal... you cheer them into the playoffs and I'll hop on your bandwagon. Just save me a spot. :-)

Alright then.

:)
1/9/13 12:29 AM
GROUNDnLB
425 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

heavyweightmma -
Stache - 

Maybe so . . . but this franchise hasn't always been a failure like you guys are saying so there's no way they can't turn it around. I enjoy watching them play and the team showed hope last season, so I'll stand by . . .
The franchise is one of the most, if not the most, profitable in the NHL. That's the issue - with ravenous hockey fans in the Golden Horseshoe, and thousands upon thousands of corporate tickets, there is not as much incentive to plop down mega bucks on a superstar. Phone Post
1/9/13 12:30 AM
Trombles
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here comes Louie! Phone Post
1/9/13 12:36 AM
NORESPECT

I"m from Toronto and haven't been a fan for a long time. The Leafs are a superpower team with the highest profits and the most dedicated fans in the league, and yet they can't even make the playoff. Ottawa with a population of only 500k consistently makes it. You've got teams in cities where no one gives a shit about hockey and they do well.

The reason is greed. As long as money is made management doesn't care if they win or lose. Toronto fans need to actually stop going to the games and demand a better team. Phone Post
1/9/13 12:38 AM
yusul
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

drafting overall is better. if at least 3-4 make it out of the current group, that would be great.

d is stacked in prospects:

reilly has been compared to leetch by one of his coaches, but if production is as good as kaberle's that's still great (50pt range).

matt finn has a lot of potential, a leader and well rounded. i saw stuart percy play; he was actually just a step behind gardiner, a very quick thinker.

blacker is smooth and has good offensive instincts to join the rush.

the czech guy jirus milkus, or whatever his name is, didn't look out of place in the leaf game he played and is 6'5. holzer looked better than schenn last year.

forwards are less likely to make it but also have some potential

leivo is a lanky winger with a lot of smarts; if he could improve his skating, he could do well. he has the brains to be on the first line if he could put it together, but would most likely be a 2nd liner.

connor is another guy doing very well in the ohl; top 20 all season.

biggs has been doing a point a game and will be at least a 3rd line physical player with some scoring ability. his upside is that he could be a power forward and he does crash the net and use his size.

the 2 italians dom and toni in ushl are having comparable seasons to patrick sharp at this point and were the fastest skaters in their draft. scoring touch and speed at centre.

2 pests in ross and komorov.

at the ahl level, kadri and frattin should make the big team and are around 2nd line level players. i think d'amigo also has a lot of potential, but could fill the void of colby armstrong. he's a bull in the corners with speed and can drive to the net. he was the leading scorer or #2 for the us team at the worlds and the goto guy in the marlies playoffs.
1/9/13 12:39 AM
Dr Gonzo
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the first season in a long time that the leafs are in playoff contention in mid January.
1/9/13 12:42 AM
yusul

i think kadri has better tools than bozak, like maneuverability, stick handling, finishing plays and creativity, but bozak is just as fast a skater, doesn't do as many stupid plays and has better overall vision to be a centre. i getting around 50 points in your second season bouncing from first to third line isn't too bad.
1/9/13 12:44 AM
Stache

NORESPECT -  I"m from Toronto and haven't been a fan for a long time. The Leafs are a superpower team with the highest profits and the most dedicated fans in the league, and yet they can't even make the playoff. Ottawa with a population of only 500k consistently makes it. You've got teams in cities where no one gives a shit about hockey and they do well.

The reason is greed. As long as money is made management doesn't care if they win or lose. Toronto fans need to actually stop going to the games and demand a better team. Phone Post

It's true. Everyone here remembers what happened to Jays attendance after their two World Series rings...it tanked...people wouldn't support a losing team anymore. MLSE remembers it too. We haven't seen a real contender since then.

Either they're not committed to winning for fear of unnecessarily raising expectations or the Leafs have the worst scouting staff in the league.
1/9/13 12:46 AM
RML
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It will be another rough year for the Leafs, but I'll be there cheering.  Thank god the Jays should be a decent team.

1/9/13 12:47 AM
Bman15
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn right. Go leafs. Have a Kessel jersey signed by a couple different leafs. They had practice in Trenton and I got to get them to sign it. Phone Post
1/9/13 12:48 AM
heavyweightmma

Bman15 -  Damn right. Go leafs. Have a Kessel jersey signed by a couple different leafs. They had practice in Trenton and I got to get them to sign it. Phone Post

Lucky man.

Would love to have a Leaf's Jersey.

How much do they usually sell for? $100 like the NBA?

I only have 1 jersey and it's an NBA one.
1/9/13 12:51 AM
Bman15
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The legit replica is 175$ I believe. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.