UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Official Toronto Maple Leaf's Thread

1/9/13 6:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
heavyweightmma
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Thanks for the info, I'm going to learn a lot in the coming days.
1/9/13 7:02 PM
MediumRareMistake
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We prob still fuck up and miss the playoffs. Phone Post
1/9/13 9:13 PM
Lun8
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Firing Burke and hiring Nonis is a complete joke. Burke has been a mentor to Nonis for quite some time. They have basically the same outlook on the team and Nonis has been right with Burkie the past 4 years with Toronto. Nonis took over for Burke in Vancouver and did a worse job. The only reason burke was fired is because the new owners rogers&bell an their board of directors don't like his persona.
Why not do this in september? Burke either really pissed someone off in the recent days, or MLSE is retarted and the refusal to trade for Luongo made them do this. Either way , thanks for distracting the team, probably giving up way too much for Luongo in the upcoming days and ruining my Wednesday.
1/10/13 12:13 AM
yusul
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_BTown - 
Mexican Janitor - 
UGCTT_BTown -
Mexican Janitor - 
UGCTT_BTown - what i'm seeing is that Burke opposed the Luongo deal (10 years) and management wants to proceed on that front
I'm behind Burke 100%. Trading our (limited) assets for a goalie in his mid 30's to make a run at 9th. Typical MSLE bullshit Phone Post

Curtis Joseph and Ed Belfour came in, in thier twilight years and played well...i think Luongo could thrive here. Especially if he could backstop into the playoff.
We had a complete team when Cujo and Ed were between the pipes. This roster finished 5th worst in the league with a shit load of dead weight. Now trade our prospects for a goalie that will have a short lived run to make 9th. Rinse repeat and miss then playoffs for 8 straight years. Phone Post

I hear what you are saying...Kadri is no longer a prospect imo but a bust. He's on the 3rd line on the Marlies ...Luongo has at least 5 good years left easy. Good goaltending will take you a long way...especially in a 48 game season...now is the perfect time to add Luongo

are you a casucks fan or something? lol at wanting the luongo trade and calling kadri a bust. he's getting a point a game; i don't think he's on third line.
1/10/13 12:15 AM
yusul
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

burke deserved to be fired for not having a better record than john ferg jr. i.e. missing the playoffs for 4 years.

that being said, the timing is extremely weird. he should have been fired after the draft if they were going to fire him.
1/10/13 12:34 PM
hubris
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bring back Harold Ballard IMO
1/10/13 12:38 PM
Megatherium
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He can hire Punch Imlach to coach the team.
1/10/13 12:42 PM
hubris
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/10/13 12:56 PM
TheLumberjackLisi
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm glad I subscribed to this thread. Living in Columbus, Ohio makes it difficult to get inside info. Phone Post
1/10/13 1:10 PM
TeamRenzo

MrColdCock -  The Kessel trade wasn't that bad. It could have been a disaster, but Kessel has, and will continue to overachieve. Phone Post

You dont build your team around wingers. With this trade they lost a #1 center and a potential top 4 d-man.

The trade stunk.
1/10/13 2:14 PM
Megatherium
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hell, Dougie Hamilton is a potential top 2 d-man.
1/10/13 3:19 PM
PJ Benn Fan
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Regarding the Kessell trade, it was downright terrible for 2 reasons and not because Kessel hasnt delivered.

1. Burke completely over estimated the team even with Kessel to the point where those 2 picks both became top 10s

2. This one is even more important in that he didnt have to give up 2 first rounders and a second rounder.

He could have signed Kessel at the time to an offer sheet for the $5.4 a year over 5 years leaving the Bruins witth a decision to let Kessel walk and recieve 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders or match the offer.

Chances are at the time the Bruins wouldnt have matched which would have meant that although they would still have Seguin, the leafs would have kept the pick that turned into Dougie Hamilton.

And even if they did match so what considering they came second last in the league with Kessel. Theres was only one team worse than them so they would have held onto a top 2 pick.

Basically he CHOSE to overpay all because he doesnt believe in the offer sheet process.

Someone on the radio said it best that imagine your boss tells you to go get a company car and you can get it for $50K, but you choose to pay $80K because you dont like the way the sales guy wrote everything down.

Also peopple have to remember that Kessel is most likely gne in 2 years!

Just a stupid stupid decision. And one that like many previous in leaf history will bite them in the ass for years to come.

1/10/13 11:47 PM
yusul

^if he would have thrown an offer sheet to stamkos, i heard on good authority that he would have accepted. however, they would have been able to retaliate and throw an offer to.....luke schenn? bwahaha. burke. not bright.
1/14/13 1:59 AM
heavyweightmma

So the schedule has just been released. The first game is Vs The Canadiens this Saturday on the 19th!
1/14/13 2:13 AM
Lun8
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

when are tickets going to be for sale !!?
1/14/13 9:34 AM
PJ Benn Fan
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta say after that press conference on saturday I sure respect the hell out of brian burke.

He may not have always been right and i didnt always agree with him, but he never changed his course throughout his tenure here.

Also I loved when he basically told steve simmons to go fuck himself.

1/14/13 9:57 AM
yusul

^i have little respect for him; he acts like failing 4 years is fine and will be going somewhere where he's appreciated, etc.

he sticks to his guns even if he's stupid. yah, we appreciate you making the leafs lose and failing to deliver promises. you are not liked because of your strong irish personality, riiight.
1/14/13 10:03 AM
buckshot44
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the Leafs get Luongo, maybe, just maybe they make the playoffs. Especially with a short season, it's possible.

I'm hoping the Canucks can get something decent in return for Lou.

Time will tell.
1/14/13 10:24 AM
PJ Benn Fan

yusul - ^i have little respect for him; he acts like failing 4 years is fine and will be going somewhere where he's appreciated, etc.

he sticks to his guns even if he's stupid. yah, we appreciate you making the leafs lose and failing to deliver promises. you are not liked because of your strong irish personality, riiight.

I didnt get that he thought sucking for 4 straight year was fine and he even acknowledged that ownership always has the final say and he knows that and he accepts that with his chosen line of work!

He openly admitted that had they won more, he probably isnt standing there being unemployed which I tend to agree with.

I admitted above that I didnt agree with some of the things he did.

But he never deviated from the way he does things and he still didnt change to appease new ownership.

And for that I do respect him!

Burke aside for a moment, and I wont get into the leafs history but the absolutely bad timing of this decision proves that little has changed around here and I fully expect the leafs to suck ass for another 4 years.

Not to get off track but do you think its coincidence that MLSE controls 3 pro sports teams (Raptors, Leafs, Toronto FC) and all 3 are consistantly near the worst in their respective sports???

I mean consider for a moment that Toronto FC has a pretty good following within the community. Fans attend their games and are passionate.

Yet the team continues to suck and have been through 8 coaches since 2007.

Theres a certain culture within that corporation and until that changes I dont expect much to change in regards to the Leafs on ice performance!

1/14/13 12:23 PM
Hemlock
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sinceufc2 - I only care if Colton Orr makes the squad and plays most games.

...why
1/14/13 7:07 PM
Lun8

Colton Orr is a beast. Apparently hes skating is a lot better
1/14/13 8:03 PM
Megatherium

Colton Orr is truculent!
1/14/13 8:07 PM
Hemlock
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The leafs need a cement head rambling around out they like they need less experienced goaltending.
1/14/13 8:24 PM
yusul

PJ Benn Fan - 
yusul - ^i have little respect for him; he acts like failing 4 years is fine and will be going somewhere where he's appreciated, etc.

I didnt get that he thought sucking for 4 straight year was fine and he even acknowledged that ownership always has the final say and he knows that and he accepts that with his chosen line of work!

He openly admitted that had they won more, he probably isnt standing there being unemployed which I tend to agree with.

I admitted above that I didnt agree with some of the things he did.

But he never deviated from the way he does things and he still didnt change to appease new ownership.

And for that I do respect him!

Burke aside for a moment, and I wont get into the leafs history but the absolutely bad timing of this decision proves that little has changed around here and I fully expect the leafs to suck ass for another 4 years.

Not to get off track but do you think its coincidence that MLSE controls 3 pro sports teams (Raptors, Leafs, Toronto FC) and all 3 are consistantly near the worst in their respective sports???

I mean consider for a moment that Toronto FC has a pretty good following within the community. Fans attend their games and are passionate.

Yet the team continues to suck and have been through 8 coaches since 2007.

Theres a certain culture within that corporation and until that changes I dont expect much to change in regards to the Leafs on ice performance!

imo in a way it's a bad concidence. i know for a fact that they gave coangie a blank cheque, probably as well the tfc guys.

imo the idea was sound: they looked at the credentials, hired the best guy they could based on credentials (because mlse is ignorant) and hoped they win. however, they did pick bad top people.

mlse would make a lot more money and merchandise if any of the teams could make the playoffs, including their bars etc. don't forget, conangie's team made the playoffs the first year he was here then we lost bosh without compensation.

with burke, he was simply delusional. there was no way the team he had coming in was getting into the playoffs. i think you said why the kessel trade sucked and i agree totally. kessel is not going to be worth two top end first rounders. also, instead of giving kadri, et al a chance he was always signing useless players like connelly, komiserik, etc.

it's said in inner circles that richard peddie did interfere except when the brians got in.

anyways, i'm more optimistic because the process of hiring someone with good credentials and letting them loose will eventually pay off. it has to do more with management than the actual team.
1/17/13 11:00 AM
Lun8

Just got tickets to 3 games at the acc
GO LEAFS GOO!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.