UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Anderson's Couture and Barnett(Fedor)

1/8/13 7:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
D241
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor never proved he could beat Randy or Josh Barnett in the ring/cage. We know the circumstances as to why, but in hindsight, on paper I'd give Fedor the edge, but I still have some doubt that he could beat them.

What about Anderson? 

What guys outside(or inside for that matter) would you have liked to seen Anderson face b/c you feel their strengths could give Anderson problems.

I'd have to say 2 guys.

Anderson's early UFC days, I would've liked to see Anderson vs Matt Lindland. Lindland towards the end of his career, seemed to really have a strong gameplan and skillset to get him victories. He was great at clinching up, getting takedowns, and ground and pound. Very similar to his teammate Chael. Anderson's wrestling and grappling isn't nearly as good back then as it is now. My money would be on Anderson, but I wouldn't count out Lindland doing to Anderson what Chael did in the first fight, minus the triangle.

Melvin Manhoef.

What makes sense is why he's not in the UFC. He has a weakness than can be exploited, and has. However his strength, is Anderson's strength. The only times we've seen Anderson use his wrestling, is only AFTER wrestling has tried to be used on Anderson. Anderson doesn't use wrestling offensively, he doesn't need to.It'd be very interesting to see if Anderson could outstrike Manhoef, and if he couldn't, it'd be interesting to see how Anderson gets the fight to the ground. Does Anderson pull guard? Try a takedown? Does he not need to b/c he beats Melvin on the feet?

Fedor proved himself against Coleman, so it's safe to assume he'd be able to beat Couture. 

Anderson beat Vitor, so it's safe to assume he'd be able to beat Melvin. But a fights a fight, anything can happen, and it sucks the window for these 2 fights with Anderson is closed.

1/8/13 7:58 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Couture didn't have the chin to handle Fedor's striking.

1/8/13 8:05 PM
D241
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - 

At anytime, then or now, if I had to pick, I'd pick Fedor. But 2007 Randy Couture still had some chin left, and 2007 Randy vs Fedor would've been epic. Randy was the master strategist and who knows, maybe Randy could've boxed his way into the clinch, then taken Fedor down mutiple times, while scoring some gnp.

But anyways, this isn't about Fedor, this is about Anderson. Who are guys you would've liked to have seen him fight against, and what time period?

1/8/13 8:08 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Manhoef, Mousasi, Jacare, Linland, FIlho...

1/8/13 8:09 PM
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All is good if he fights JBJ!

This is all
1/8/13 8:11 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

I wish the Hughes fight would have materialized back at 170. Phone Post
1/8/13 8:24 PM
D241

BarryBondsMVP and LayNPray-What timeframes?

1/9/13 8:53 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Hughes was set to fight Anderson after Anderson beat samurai iirc. There was chute box politics that stopped the fight... Phone Post
1/9/13 8:54 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Damn autocorrect. Sakurai* Phone Post
1/9/13 10:08 AM
Chupacabro
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the thing that separates Anderson from other great strikers is mental, not physical. And, of course , his chin. He would brutally KO Manhoef. Phone Post
1/9/13 10:11 AM
Chupacabro
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"why? he fought sluggers like rizzo,vitor,and chuck. i seriously doubt fedor hits any harder than any of the 3..."

Chuck? Really? His power was cumulative, not really one shot "put you to sleep" power. Rampage would have been a better example, though he's so slow, he hasn't put anyone to sleep in half a decade.

Fedor hit harder than all 3. Phone Post
1/9/13 10:14 AM
cantuna4u
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson is a good striker. I think its a little magnified when you match up his striking vs chael, forrest, bonnar, okami... We are talking about some serious striking w/ power from melvin and mousasi and those K-1 level dudes. Its way above even the better strikers Ando has faced in UFC. Those guys were mainly punchers (leben,sandman and even Vitor.) Because of this i think those true power/speed striker match ups might not be so good for Ando. IMO Phone Post
1/9/13 10:17 AM
Lazer MMA

cantuna4u -  Anderson is a good striker. I think its a little magnified when you match up his striking vs chael, forrest, bonnar, okami... We are talking about some serious striking w/ power from melvin and mousasi and those K-1 level dudes. Its way above even the better strikers Ando has faced in UFC. Those guys were mainly punchers (leben,sandman and even Vitor.) Because of this i think those true power/speed striker match ups might not be so good for Ando. IMO Phone Post

Interesting, who do you recommend now if anyone? Maybe Lombard or Carmont?
1/9/13 10:22 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

cantuna4u -  Anderson is a good striker. I think its a little magnified when you match up his striking vs chael, forrest, bonnar, okami... We are talking about some serious striking w/ power from melvin and mousasi and those K-1 level dudes. Its way above even the better strikers Ando has faced in UFC. Those guys were mainly punchers (leben,sandman and even Vitor.) Because of this i think those true power/speed striker match ups might not be so good for Ando. IMO Phone Post

James Irvin was not primarily a puncher.

Lee Murray was a very dangerous striker, as was Jorge back in the day. He let them both tee off on him and laughed about it. :)

Manhoef would need to land in the first round and have it be a flush perfect strike to even KO Andy. Mousassi would be picked apart. Andy is too smart to get caught by Melvin. He would strike from range for a round or two and wait for Melvin to gas, which he would. Mousassi has a better chance but I cannot see him finishing Anderson, nor being able to hang for 5 rounds on the feet or the ground.

1/9/13 10:25 AM
cantuna4u
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lombard would be cool cause of the Judo aspect. Ando loves the clinch. Judo dudes are good in the clinch. Might lead to some good open striking. Not interested in the Carmont match up. Melvin would be fun til Ando takes him down or he falls throwing some crazy shit and Silva taps his ass. Phone Post
1/9/13 10:27 AM
sparkuri

Fedor in a ring > anyone, anytime Phone Post
1/9/13 10:27 AM
cantuna4u

To lay and pray ninja: Your right about Lee Murray. Phone Post
1/9/13 11:12 AM
I AM A MOFO
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Randy would get fucking Zulu'd.

Barnett should have happened.

There aren't really MWs I still need to see Silva fight. His only interesting matchs left to me are at 205.
1/9/13 11:18 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Ryann Von Doom - 
D241 -
Barry_BondsMVP - 

At anytime, then or now, if I had to pick, I'd pick Fedor. But 2007 Randy Couture still had some chin left, and 2007 Randy vs Fedor would've been epic. Randy was the master strategist and who knows, maybe Randy could've boxed his way into the clinch, then taken Fedor down mutiple times, while scoring some gnp.

But anyways, this isn't about Fedor, this is about Anderson. Who are guys you would've liked to have seen him fight against, and what time period?

Not really. Randy was overmatched and he saw that soon as fedor subbed timmah. Randy ran back to zuffa with his tail tucked Phone Post

1/9/13 11:18 AM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

James Irvin was not primarily a puncher.

Lee Murray was a very dangerous striker, as was Jorge back in the day. He let them both tee off on him and laughed about it. :)

Manhoef would need to land in the first round and have it be a flush perfect strike to even KO Andy. Mousassi would be picked apart. Andy is too smart to get caught by Melvin. He would strike from range for a round or two and wait for Melvin to gas, which he would. Mousassi has a better chance but I cannot see him finishing Anderson, nor being able to hang for 5 rounds on the feet or the ground.

Allll this Phone Post
1/9/13 11:50 AM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 - 
Barry_BondsMVP - 

Still and always will be a bummer that we didn't get to enjoy a Couture/Fedor fight in that 2006-2007 time frame.  What a great fight it could have been.  Both guys, besides being great fighters were in that area of being smaller heayvweights in the 225-235 range.  Couture obviously dipped down and laid his mark at 205 as well as heavyweight and I would have loved to have seen Fedor do the same later in his career (mid to later).  

1/9/13 11:52 AM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Besides Andy/Couture/Barnett, is there another fighter that would have been an epic matchup for Fedor that never happened?  

1/9/13 12:03 PM
orcus

"The only times we've seen Anderson use his wrestling, is only AFTER wrestling has tried to be used on Anderson. Anderson doesn't use wrestling offensively, he doesn't need to"

Anderson vs Stout and Anderson vs Lee Murray. Anderson doesn't hesitate to take guys down. Remember that regardless of his skill and his confidence in his skill, he has made it clear that he is not interested in risking his health or career unnecessarily.

This was right after the opening bell in the Stout fight:

1/9/13 12:33 PM
I AM A MOFO
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, I think Randy knew at a certain point it was to his benefit that he didn't fight Fedor. Dude left the UFC to make it happen. At some point during thhat time, e grappled Fedor and was handled according to the pictures (Yea I know, wasn't a real fight, blah blah). Shortly after that, he's back in the UFC fighting Brock, lol.

Then after losing to Brock, when asked about how Fedor would do said "Fedor would tear Brock up".

I think even Randy knows it wouldn't have gone his way with Fedor.
1/9/13 1:33 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Sal Penis - 

I think we can all agree Manhoef is fucking dangerous.

For about 2 minutes, if you're not an expert striker in MMA terms....

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.