UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How will you remember Strikeforce?

1/8/13 8:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
caposa
1848 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of the best MMA promotions of the past decade is closing it's doors Saturday.

Between Shamrock/Gracie and Rousey/Kaufmann, Strikeforce has had 63 events and has been home to some of the greatest fighters in the history of the sport. So many epic moments and fights, it's hard to even start listing them. How will you will remember this great organization? What are you favorite moments, fights, and memories of Strikeforce?

1/8/13 8:13 PM
BRZ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good times

1/8/13 8:14 PM
genshi
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never once was Inot impressed by their performance...

The talk of their HW Grand Prix made me red raw

1/8/13 8:16 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

An organization that got close to lasting, but ultimately killed itself with overpaying. I'm happy they're guys are in the UFC now, as a fan. Phone Post
1/8/13 8:17 PM
HandyDarsh
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/8/13 8:19 PM
caposa
1848 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Old Thrashbarg -  No hate intended, but I will always remember it as the organization that was always 2nd to the UFC, and eventually got killed by DFW Phone Post

Well no offense, but that's a pretty close minded way of remembering a great organization. Did you just start watching MMA recently? The only reason I ask is because that would kind of explain your view. Any fan of MMA over even the past two years should have nothing but good memories about SF.

1/8/13 8:20 PM
MMALOGIC

The Varsity Jackets.

1/8/13 8:21 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
869 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fun fights Phone Post
1/8/13 8:21 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had great prospect based shows, and built some potential stars(Cormier,Rockhold,Rousey, OSP, etc)
The org where the great Fedor finally fell after a decade of dominance
Lots of big names and entertaining fights
That's the positive stuff I'll remember. Lots of negatives too, but no need to focus on them when remembering something that is gone Phone Post
1/8/13 8:22 PM
juicer
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cards always delivered. HW Grand Prix was an exciting time. Phone Post
1/8/13 8:29 PM
Immaculata
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was just grateful I could attend two Live shows.
1/8/13 8:34 PM
DubsAli
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The other guy getting his hand raised in a Fedor fight
1/8/13 8:45 PM
Jaybrone
532 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Entertaining fights although often extremely one sided fights. Also their champs often went LONG stretches with out fighting even more so than the UFC in some cases.

1/8/13 8:47 PM
D241

Strikeforce will be remembered as one of the main organizations. Not as big as Pride or UFC, but bigger than EliteXC and Affliction and IFL.

Great fights, great show, solid fighters. Had so much potential that UFC was legimitately threatened by them, and had to strong arm them out of business.  Unlike Pride and Affliction, UFC couldn't "wait" for SF to fold. UFC purchased them when they still had potential to be the #1 organization for mma, and ultimately sabatoged any chance of success.

Stephen Quadros informed me of a small contest. Winner got 2 free tickets to Strikeforce Nashville(the famous Mayhem/Diaz bros brawl), paid airplane and hotel stay. Told 1 friend about it, we both entered, if one of us won, we'd take the other. He won, we went.

I got front row seats at the weigh ins, sitting next to JZ, great seats to the event, backstage tour which was really fuckin awesome, and got to meet some great fighters.

Also was given an awesome Strikeforce Nashville shirt and a Strikeforce hat. Here I am at the airport getting my picture taken with Werdum, just 2 months before he'd shock the world and make Fedor tap.

1/8/13 8:51 PM
caposa

CREamed_by_DongJ - I will remember Frank Shamrock as a suit for Strikeforce also being able and willing to put events on his back and deliver classic performances.

Good post, and 100% true. Watching Shamrock/Le right now in fact. Frank stepped up and was involved with some of the biggest fights of the promotion. Shamrock/Gracie to kicked things off. The Baroni fight helped put Strikeforce into the MMA consciousness. The Le fight brought the house down in San Jose and get the SF name out on Showtime. He stepped in to face Diaz to help usher Nick into the Strikeforce fold. Frank did indeed carry Strikeforce on his back at times.

1/8/13 8:54 PM
TKOhYeah
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Diaz... That what got me addicted to SF and that's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of it. Phone Post
1/8/13 9:49 PM
caposa

Edited: 01/08/13 9:52 PM

When I think of Strikeforce I think of:

-Gilbert Melendez making a name for himself, losing the title, and then finally getting his revenge in one of the best fights of 2009

-Cung Le's path of destruction and then proving the doubters wrong against Frank Shamrock

-As previously mentioned, Frank Shamrock carrying the promotion on his back at times. Acting as a commentator, co-creator, and most importantly, fighter.

-When they acquired Elite XC's assets and became the most viable #2 promotion in MMA we had seen in a long time.

-Nick Diaz continuing his run and reasserting himself as one of the most exciting fighters in MMA

-The Brawl in Nashville

-Signing Fedor. Fedor/Rogers on CBS. The Werdum fight. Bigfoot. Hendo. Amazing fights

-The beginning of the Heavyweight GP and the buzz surrounding it. I attended the opening round in NJ in person and it was insane.

-The emergence of Ronda Rousey

-So many great fights and finishes

Gonna be a sad day, but the fighters deserve this move to the UFC. SF has always delivered and I'm expecting nothing different come Saturday night.

1/8/13 9:54 PM
gokudamus stole my name III

StrikeWho?

1/8/13 9:54 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank KOing Ceaser in front of 18k

Frank fighting with a blown out knee against Phil who also was fighting on pure heart, what a show those 2 put on

Diaz vs Daley in one of the best rounds ever

So many great shows they put on
1/8/13 11:05 PM
Aleck911
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Their shows from the playboy mansion Phone Post
1/8/13 11:08 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
869 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa -

When I think of Strikeforce I think of:

-Gilbert Melendez making a name for himself, losing the title, and then finally getting his revenge in one of the best fights of 2009

-Cung Le's path of destruction and then proving the doubters wrong against Frank Shamrock

-As previously mentioned, Frank Shamrock carrying the promotion on his back at times. Acting as a commentator, co-creator, and most importantly, fighter.

-When they acquired Elite XC's assets and became the most viable #2 promotion in MMA we had seen in a long time.

-Nick Diaz continuing his run and reasserting himself as one of the most exciting fighters in MMA

-The Brawl in Nashville

-Signing Fedor. Fedor/Rogers on CBS. The Werdum fight. Bigfoot. Hendo. Amazing fights

-The beginning of the Heavyweight GP and the buzz surrounding it. I attended the opening round in NJ in person and it was insane.

-The emergence of Ronda Rousey

-So many great fights and finishes

Gonna be a sad day, but the fighters deserve this move to the UFC. SF has always delivered and I'm expecting nothing different come Saturday night.

Well said. VTFU! Phone Post
1/8/13 11:32 PM
daddy N0
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course The fight cards always where exciting and it threaten The UFC with the Heavy Weights it gathered at the end it's life cycle. But what i'll remember the most is how Scott Coker always remained Positive and carrier him self with Respect and giving the Respect back to the fighters and Fans and MMA. Phone Post
1/8/13 11:36 PM
epwar
541 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/8/13 11:43 PM
Ligeia420
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Still better than UFC.
1/8/13 11:46 PM
TuLegit

The death of the last emperor Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.