UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How many fighters are athiest?

1/10/13 1:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
silversurfer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If god exists and he has a master plan and that plan includes the creation of this thread then god is a complete idiot.
1/10/13 2:40 AM
DanoAU

I'm an Athiest, would be interesting to see an Athiest project his views during a post-fight speech.

Would be hilariously hypocritical if the religious folks got offended.
1/10/13 6:44 AM
scaredy cat
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I'd like to thank 3 Billion years of evolution for this victory. Also to the generations of scientists and doctors that have improved the health of our species to the point that I can dominate my opponent. Coming into this fight I knew I was doing this in memory of Hitchens. THIS ONE'S FOR YOU HITCH!!"

Would be awesome!
1/10/13 7:05 AM
Possumwee

England is not religious at all, only 1 or 2 people my age I know goes/has gone to Church.

Because of how it is in the states I bet few people admit to it even if they are atheist/agnostic.

I hated it when Nogueira's dad started saying god made him recover not doctors. No it was the doctors who have trained years of their life and put their hard work and time into helping him that made him better...
1/10/13 7:23 AM
Rival School

Einstein most definitely did NOT believe in god. Especially not the old man in the sky theory.

He called the clockwork of the world god, the unexplainable god. Phone Post
1/10/13 7:51 AM
Olive Garden Table For One
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At lease baptise the kid. You don't want the
Stuck on friggin limbo if something happens like Phone Post
1/10/13 8:12 AM
Sequoyah Sandford
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I doubt there is a god. Phone Post
1/10/13 8:12 AM
dipsheet
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I imagine most are until they see Jake Shields staring them down from across the octagon.
1/10/13 8:32 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

How was God created? Magic? Just happened to be there? Lol. Phone Post
1/10/13 8:53 AM
6ULDV8
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/10/13 9:03 AM
Olive Garden Table For One
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht -
Jimmy Rustler - 
samcarr6 -
Jimmy Rustler -
ItBurnsWheniOG - 
Jimmy Rustler -
ItBurnsWheniOG - 
Jimmy Rustler -

Frank Mir is an atheist and he is teaching that crap to his kids too who are gonna grow up without God in their life... kinda sad situation

I'm all for parents who let their kids make up their own minds about religion... I personally don't believe any of it but I'll let my kids make up their own minds if they want to believe these fairytales. Phone Post

at least baptise them

Lol no.... I don't go to church why would I start now? Obviously I don't hold their same morals. Phone Post

go watch Passion of The Christ... Jesus Christ was the son of God... I do believe that he performed miracles. You should to.

You are probably one of those guys who believes Jesus Christ was a delusional maniac

If he thinks Jesus was a delusional maniac then he's giving the bible quite a lot of credit; that Jesus actually existed at all. Which is quite a concession given the bible's track record of telling the truth.... Phone Post
Jesus did exist... Hes written about in books not related to the bible and most scholars agree that he was a real person Phone Post

A common lie perpetuated. That is simply not true. Most RELIGIOUS scholars may BELIEVE that, but most scholars do NOT. Stop spreading lies.

IF......IF the specific Jesus mentioned in the bible did exist, it is NOT evidence of anything BUT a man named Jesus existed. It isn't evidence of miracles or any of the other magic that happens in the bible. 

This. There is not a single contemporary mention of Jesus of Nazareth from his time, and the Romans chronicled everything.

Josephus is the closest thing and its a known fugazi to scholars.

So zero evidence, just some books written generations after he aupposedly lived Phone Post
1/10/13 9:09 AM
Kostakio
387 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jimmy Rustler - 
UGSlapshot - 
Jimmy Rustler -

Frank Mir is an atheist and he is teaching that crap to his kids too who are gonna grow up without God in their life... kinda sad situation

At least he's not pumping them full of bullshit.

Fucking Christians might not be the most nutty of the fruitcakes but they are definitely in the running for most arrogant and least intellectual. Phone Post

Albert Einstein believed in God, so there goes your argument, retard.

haha

1/10/13 9:54 AM
Periodik

6ULDV8 - 

6 pages and no raptor jesus memes???

Good effort here though
1/10/13 9:54 AM
SirChadwick
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm next door neighbors with 100+ nuns and I have even seen a glow in the dark Jesus. I'm glad I lived to see the day I could share this on MMA.TV. It was a 4+ year investment always waiting and watching for the right time, but today is the day.
1/10/13 9:57 AM
Perfer Et Obdura
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are thousands of gods fighters who say they believe, don't believe in.

So all fighters are atheist IMO

1/10/13 10:04 AM
TheDarthKnight

Nihilist reporting in
1/10/13 11:28 AM
rustyshakleford
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing polarizes a room like religion! Awesome!
I remember growing up as a kid, there was this guy who was just off the hook. He was THAT neighbor, fixing cars for old people, helping roof the neighbors house, constantly helping people out. This guy would do anything. This guy kept the neighborhood running. Until they found out he was an Aetheist. Some busy body neighbor kept pressing and pressing him to go to church. He politely declined always having a valid reason. LIKE HELPING PEOPLE. Well, when asked straight up, he admitted, religion wasnt really his thing. When pressed on it, he admitted, that he did not believe in God. Pretty much the whole neighborhood turned on him. Blatantly. So as a young person this sent me an odd message. Be an awesome person, HELP EVERYONE, literally sacrifice for other people, but if you dont believe what they believe,,,prepare to be SHUNNED .
1/10/13 11:44 AM
chaplinshouse
650 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

reluctant to coin myself athiest as that group seems to care too much what other groups care about.  i don't believe in a god though but good for u if u do, it seems to really help some people so i wouldn't change their minds if i could

1/10/13 1:02 PM
PointyShinyBurn

Olive Garden Table For One -  At lease baptise the kid. You don't want the
Stuck on friggin limbo if something happens like Phone Post

That Vatican abolished Limbo in 2007. Which probably came as a great relief to Socrates, since it had been him and an unimaginable hoard of mewling infants for two millennia.
1/10/13 2:32 PM
drrilll
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chaplinshouse - 

reluctant to coin myself athiest as that group seems to care too much what other groups care about.  i don't believe in a god though but good for u if u do, it seems to really help some people so i wouldn't change their minds if i could

No kidding. Is it just me, or are athiests overtaking Christians as the pushiest religion? I didn't like it when Christians were pushing their beliefs down my throat, and I don't appreciate it when athiests do either. It doesn't matter what you believe, it only matters what you do.
1/10/13 2:52 PM
Carla Esparza #1 Fan
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jimmy Rustler - 

k so why are all the champions today Christians, but the atheists like Frank Mir get their face pummeled repeatedly by Christians

GSP is an atheist I'm pretty sure.  And honestly, why would I care what a bunch of athletes think.  They really don't have a ton of education.  I'd more likely believe any evidence that someone like Neil Degrasse Tyson or Stephen Hawking were to show me.   And I would imagine you see more Christians in MMA then other religions because they have a history of violence.  Shit, you sure don't see many Jews thats for sure, and it's probably because they have a history of violence performed against them.

1/10/13 3:02 PM
Carla Esparza #1 Fan
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DarrenMullen - 
Outlaw'd by Lytle - 
DarrenMullen -
Outlaw'd by Lytle - 

All of the highly intelligent ones are Atheist. Phone Post

Atheism - The belief there was absolutely NOTHING. Then nothing happened to the NOTHING until it magically exploded creating EVERYTHING everywhere. Then a bunch of the exploded EVERYTHING magically rearranged itself for no reason into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs.

Sounds intelligent to me!

Someone doesn't understand atheism. Lol.

Never mind son. Phone Post

Far enough...I really don't. I'm not religious but don't have any other answer to how the universe is here.

Just curious...prior to the big bang, there was no matter, time, space...nothing. What caused it all to come into existence?

Well, it's pretty tough to figure out perfectly what happened somewhere billions of light years away, and 13.9 billion years ago.  There are about 3 or 4 predominant theories on the subject.  One is the Big Crunch theory.  Where we aren't the first Universe here, that it's kind of ongoing, the universe expands, reaches critical mass, collapses in on itself to a single supermassive point, and then explodes again.

There is also the multiverse theory where there is an area outside of our universe that is viewed kind of like a room with a bunch of different bubbles running around.  One bumps into the other, bam, a universe is created.  In this theory there are millions of other universes all running with different laws of physics.

The actual formation theory itself is very very difficult to prove no matter how good the science gets.  But it's been well within their reach for a while now to nail down the time period of the Big Bang because it left a very faint radiation signal.  It even makes a sound, kind of like TV static.

1/10/13 3:57 PM
narsil x anduril
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jimmy Rustler - 
UGSlapshot - 
Jimmy Rustler -

Fucking Christians might not be the most nutty of the fruitcakes but they are definitely in the running for most arrogant and least intellectual. Phone Post

not that i'm trying to argue the point of christians being "the least intellectual", but einstein most certainly was not of the judeo-christian persuasion.

Taken from Wikipedia, this particular letter has been widely studied, and Einstein made plenty of other statements about religion that make it plain that he was not a believer in any kidn of Abrahamic or interventionist God.

"On 22 March 1954 Einstein received a letter from Joseph Dispentiere, an Italian immigrant who had worked as an experimental machinist in New Jersey. Dispentiere had declared himself an atheist and was disappointed by a news report which had cast Einstein as conventionally religious.

Einstein replied on 24 March 1954:
It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."
1/10/13 4:12 PM
BobD
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jimmy Rustler - 
UGSlapshot - 
Jimmy Rustler -

If anything Einstein was Jewish.. so.. ya know.. don't point fingers when the short bus drives by.  This is from the wiki page on Einstein's religeous views:

Albert Einstein's religious views have been studied extensively. He said he believed in the god of Baruch Spinoza, but not in a personal god, a belief he criticized. He also called himself an agnostic, and criticized atheism, preferring he said "an attitude of humility."

It's a smart man that knows the limits of his own knowlege.

Wikilink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Albert_Einstein

1/10/13 4:38 PM
AbbeyRoadMe
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/10/13 4:39 PM

I'm an atheist, and a firm believer in being true to yourself. I was raised in an Italian-American family with a lot of devoutRoman Catholics. Went through CCD, attended church, but for some reason, even as a kid I never really bought into any of it. So I'm an atheist. No big deal in my opinion.

When I see a guy like Benson Henderson get on the mic after a win and state that he can do all things through Christ it doesn't effect me. Clearly what he has been doing in his life has worked out well for him. He's a champion, and if that's part of how he got there then I don't see it as a bad thing, even if it's in contrast to my personal views.

There's annoying religous people out there and there's also annoying atheists. I had a condescending atheist professor in college I couldn't stand, despite sharing the same views. I have relgious friends and family and I think it's a good thing to associate with people with all different beliefs. I know I wouldn't talk down to someone who is different the same way I don't want to be looked down at for doing what works for me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.