UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How many fighters are athiest?

1/10/13 5:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jive Turkey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/10/13 5:35 PM
I only read up to the post, so hopefully someone else already responded, but if not:<br /><br />Einstein DID NOT BELIEVE IN GOD

Besides, citing people who believed/didn't believe is pointless and proves nothing.
1/10/13 5:34 PM
Jive Turkey

Somewhat caught up. You guys have it covered. May the Spaghetti Monster bless you with his noodly appendages
1/10/13 6:15 PM
Olive Garden Table For One
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PointyShinyBurn -
Olive Garden Table For One -  At lease baptise the kid. You don't want the
Stuck on friggin limbo if something happens like Phone Post

That Vatican abolished Limbo in 2007. Which probably came as a great relief to Socrates, since it had been him and an unimaginable hoard of mewling infants for two millennia.
When we finally get a real paisan pope agin, this disgrazia will be fix back to the old way Phone Post
1/10/13 6:53 PM
Zaph
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jimmy Rustler -
UGSlapshot - 
Jimmy Rustler -

Frank Mir is an atheist and he is teaching that crap to his kids too who are gonna grow up without God in their life... kinda sad situation

At least he's not pumping them full of bullshit.

Fucking Christians might not be the most nutty of the fruitcakes but they are definitely in the running for most arrogant and least intellectual. Phone Post

Albert Einstein believed in God, so there goes your argument, retard.

No he didn't. Some letters he wrote were recently published and they debunk that myth. Will cite later from a pc. Phone Post
1/10/13 6:54 PM
Zaph
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zaph -
Jimmy Rustler -
UGSlapshot - 
Jimmy Rustler -

Frank Mir is an atheist and he is teaching that crap to his kids too who are gonna grow up without God in their life... kinda sad situation

Fucking Christians might not be the most nutty of the fruitcakes but they are definitely in the running for most arrogant and least intellectual. Phone Post

No he didn't. Some letters he wrote were recently published and they debunk that myth. Will cite later from a pc. Phone Post
I note it was already cited. I should have read further before replying. Phone Post
1/10/13 6:59 PM
chupecabre
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MdGeist - 

"You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being"

- Einstein

Word
1/10/13 9:26 PM
wisdomseeker76

rustyshakleford - Nothing polarizes a room like religion! Awesome!
I remember growing up as a kid, there was this guy who was just off the hook. He was THAT neighbor, fixing cars for old people, helping roof the neighbors house, constantly helping people out. This guy would do anything. This guy kept the neighborhood running. Until they found out he was an Aetheist. Some busy body neighbor kept pressing and pressing him to go to church. He politely declined always having a valid reason. LIKE HELPING PEOPLE. Well, when asked straight up, he admitted, religion wasnt really his thing. When pressed on it, he admitted, that he did not believe in God. Pretty much the whole neighborhood turned on him. Blatantly. So as a young person this sent me an odd message. Be an awesome person, HELP EVERYONE, literally sacrifice for other people, but if you dont believe what they believe,,,prepare to be SHUNNED .
Wow. That's a crime. Those people must not follow their scripture.
I'm not defending or attacking religious folks.
But, that's is so hypocritical if those people train some Jesus Christ.
They must not be training very good.
Maybe they were white belts in J.C.?
;-) Phone Post
1/10/13 9:41 PM
Zaph

Edited: 01/10/13 9:43 PM
chaplinshouse - 

reluctant to coin myself athiest as that group seems to care too much what other groups care about.  i don't believe in a god though but good for u if u do, it seems to really help some people so i wouldn't change their minds if i could

Atheists aren't a group.  The only thing that they all have in common is that they don't believe in a deity.  A small minority may be the way you describe, but the vast majority of them aren't. I've noticed that many American atheists are more aggressive than their counterparts from most other countries, but when one considers the ubiquity of religion and the power that religious groups wield in the US, it's not overly surprising.

I'm an atheist. I won't call myself anything else, because nothing else adequately describes my stance on the existence of a deity. It doesn't make me a part of any group. I don't care what anyone else believes. I know where I stand, and that's all that matters. As long as people don't attack me for my beliefs, I will not attack them for their own.

1/10/13 9:59 PM
scaredy cat
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is an argument for not even using the term atheist. It's kinda silly defining yourself in terms of what you are not. I'm not an aunicornist, an athoothfairyist or an asantaist. Why label oneself an atheist unless on is a) trying to create a religion out of non-belief, or b) deliberately setting out to troll Theists?
1/10/13 10:01 PM
wisdomseeker76

AbbeyRoadMe -

I'm an atheist, and a firm believer in being true to yourself. I was raised in an Italian-American family with a lot of devoutRoman Catholics. Went through CCD, attended church, but for some reason, even as a kid I never really bought into any of it. So I'm an atheist. No big deal in my opinion.

When I see a guy like Benson Henderson get on the mic after a win and state that he can do all things through Christ it doesn't effect me. Clearly what he has been doing in his life has worked out well for him. He's a champion, and if that's part of how he got there then I don't see it as a bad thing, even if it's in contrast to my personal views.

There's annoying religous people out there and there's also annoying atheists. I had a condescending atheist professor in college I couldn't stand, despite sharing the same views. I have relgious friends and family and I think it's a good thing to associate with people with all different beliefs. I know I wouldn't talk down to someone who is different the same way I don't want to be looked down at for doing what works for me.

I respect and enjoy your thoughts.
I do disagree with atheism tho. I do believe more in Agnostic beliefs.
I admit to being a white belt in this subject. I have not read every book that exists on religion, philosophy, etc.
I agree 100%, religion is the path for some people. It can make bad people into good people.
Outcasting that man from the community is not obeying the teachings of J.C.

They must be whit belts in J.C.???? Phone Post
1/10/13 10:06 PM
Porkchop

Jimmy Rustler - 
UGSlapshot - 
Jimmy Rustler -

LMAO he was a deist at the very most.

Your knowledge of Einstein phales.
1/10/13 10:07 PM
Porkchop

GSP is also atheist.

Well, he says he doesn't believe in god. He might believe in something but I think he's too smart for that shit.
1/10/13 10:09 PM
Zaph

scaredy cat - There is an argument for not even using the term atheist. It's kinda silly defining yourself in terms of what you are not. I'm not an aunicornist, an athoothfairyist or an asantaist. Why label oneself an atheist unless on is a) trying to create a religion out of non-belief, or b) deliberately setting out to troll Theists?

There's a difference between defining yourself as something, and using a word as shorthand for "don't believe in a god or gods."

1/10/13 10:11 PM
wisdomseeker76

Outlaw'd by Lytle -
DarrenMullen -
Outlaw'd by Lytle - 
DarrenMullen -
Outlaw'd by Lytle - 

All of the highly intelligent ones are Atheist. Phone Post

Atheism - The belief there was absolutely NOTHING. Then nothing happened to the NOTHING until it magically exploded creating EVERYTHING everywhere. Then a bunch of the exploded EVERYTHING magically rearranged itself for no reason into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs.

Sounds intelligent to me!

Someone doesn't understand atheism. Lol.

Never mind son. Phone Post

Far enough...I really don't. I'm not religious but don't have any other answer to how the universe is here.

Just curious...prior to the big bang, there was no matter, time, space...nothing. What caused it all to come into existence?
No idea but I certainly don't believe in a supernatural being for which this is zero evidence to support its existence.

Same as fairies, ghosts, werewolves etc...

The religious argument is that things can't 'just be here' something HAD to create it. This is fine until you question them on where God came from?

The answer being "he was just there".

Can you see the hypocrisy?

Now if people want to believe, that's fine by me, just don't preach it as fact.

I also oppose the brainwashing of children to any kind of belief. Whether it be atheism, Christianity, Islam etc.

Expose them to all beliefs and let them make their own choice.

There is no such thing as a Christian child, they are only Christian because of their parents. Same as any religion.

I think that's bad. Phone Post
Well, Sir. You are a danger to the establishment.
Unfortunately for you. I am sending the "team" over to help you to stop thinking and start watching your TV. OBEY?
We just can't have free thinkers like you running a muck on the inter webs.
You are interfering with freedom!
God bless America!
Can I get an amen?
;-) Phone Post
1/10/13 10:19 PM
wisdomseeker76

Attila -
Jimmy Rustler - 
UGSlapshot - 
Jimmy Rustler -

Oh really?  Then please explain this letter Einstein wrote, which recently aucitoned on eBay for $3 million:

The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. These subtilised interpretations are highly manifold according to their nature and have almost nothing to do with the original text. For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them.

Or how about this one:

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

You can also find several quotes where Einstein mentions God, such as:

• I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details.
  • Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods.
  • God does not play dice with the universe.
  • God is subtle but he is not malicious
Here he's unambiguously invoking the word "God" only in a pantheist (essentially poetic) sense.  He could not possibly have been any more clear of this in his writings.
Thanks for the knowledge. Phone Post
1/10/13 10:20 PM
Porkchop

Zaph - 
chaplinshouse - 

reluctant to coin myself athiest as that group seems to care too much what other groups care about.  i don't believe in a god though but good for u if u do, it seems to really help some people so i wouldn't change their minds if i could

Atheists aren't a group.  The only thing that they all have in common is that they don't believe in a deity.  A small minority may be the way you describe, but the vast majority of them aren't. I've noticed that many American atheists are more aggressive than their counterparts from most other countries, but when one considers the ubiquity of religion and the power that religious groups wield in the US, it's not overly surprising.

I'm an atheist. I won't call myself anything else, because nothing else adequately describes my stance on the existence of a deity. It doesn't make me a part of any group. I don't care what anyone else believes. I know where I stand, and that's all that matters. As long as people don't attack me for my beliefs, I will not attack them for their own.

This.

The culture around religion in the US right now is to try to push it into every public arena that they can.

There is an atheist counter movement trying to protect the separation of church and state.

Atheists in America are trying to keep it from turning everything into a church service and I don't blame them. It's getting ridiculous.
1/10/13 10:21 PM
wisdomseeker76

crumbs -
Jimmy Rustler - 

k so why are all the champions today Christians, but the atheists like Frank Mir get their face pummeled repeatedly by Christians

how do you explain Tim Tebow? this man of god should be a champion by now

your logic is flawed.

two biggest religions in the world, one cant stop young children from being molested, the other treats women like lesser beings. and hide behind books written by people with 1% of knowledge of a teenager of present.

why would anyone in there right mind, still be part of these two religions? if im on a certain TEAM, and even one of my teammates abuse's a child or women,i would KICK them off the team,and if i was told, no, we are going keep him around on the team, i would immediately quit that team, stop representing this team, stop associating with this team, have nothing to do with this team.

religion, your drunk, come back when you stop abusing people.
Yep. 100% Phone Post
1/10/13 10:24 PM
wisdomseeker76

FatLoser -
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - mods delete this thread, it does not belong on the UG. This was an obvious attempt by OP to start a long religious/atheist thread on the UG and the only way he could do this was to ask which fighters are atheist. The answer is nobody knows and OP knew that when he made this thread

I see those words but all i hear is

WAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAaaaH I GOT sand IN my VaGINA
You are silly and rude.
I agree about the thread. TROLL.
Unfortunately for me, I can't stop posting. Phone Post
1/10/13 10:24 PM
AbbeyRoadMe
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the kind words wisdomseeker76. You seem to keep an open mind and I really respect that. As an atheist, it's clear what my beliefs are. However, you won't catch me trying to convert anyone, because I know that beliefs should come from within.

I'm certainly well versed in the teachings of Jesus himself. I was raised to be religious. As a philosopher Jesus spoke of kindness, charity, and selflessness. Great philosophy to embrace whether you're a man of faith or not. Phone Post
1/10/13 10:26 PM
Porkchop

Jimmy Rustler - 
samcarr6 -
Jimmy Rustler -
ItBurnsWheniOG - 
Jimmy Rustler -
ItBurnsWheniOG - 
Jimmy Rustler -

I'm all for parents who let their kids make up their own minds about religion... I personally don't believe any of it but I'll let my kids make up their own minds if they want to believe these fairytales. Phone Post

at least baptise them

Lol no.... I don't go to church why would I start now? Obviously I don't hold their same morals. Phone Post

go watch Passion of The Christ... Jesus Christ was the son of God... I do believe that he performed miracles. You should to.

You are probably one of those guys who believes Jesus Christ was a delusional maniac

If he thinks Jesus was a delusional maniac then he's giving the bible quite a lot of credit; that Jesus actually existed at all. Which is quite a concession given the bible's track record of telling the truth.... Phone Post
Jesus did exist... Hes written about in books not related to the bible and most scholars agree that he was a real person Phone Post

Santa Claus is in a lot of books too.

Stop trying to "win" the argument and just use your fucking head dude.
1/10/13 10:27 PM
Porkchop

Attila - 
Jimmy Rustler - 
UGSlapshot - 
Jimmy Rustler -

Oh really?  Then please explain this letter Einstein wrote, which recently aucitoned on eBay for $3 million:

The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. These subtilised interpretations are highly manifold according to their nature and have almost nothing to do with the original text. For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them.

Or how about this one:

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

You can also find several quotes where Einstein mentions God, such as:

• I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details.
  • Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods.
  • God does not play dice with the universe.
  • God is subtle but he is not malicious
Here he's unambiguously invoking the word "God" only in a pantheist (essentially poetic) sense.  He could not possibly have been any more clear of this in his writings.

This.
1/10/13 10:27 PM
wisdomseeker76

mmavixen -

Since you asked about UG'ers : I believe in God and Jesus Christ.  I was raised Catholic, but I don't go to church.  I pray at home because I found that a good percentage of people who attend church don't practice what they preach and are generally full of shit (not all of them, but a good percentage).

I don't mean to start any debate.  If you believe in God, if you're a fundamentalist, if you're an Athiest, if you're agnostic...whatever.  Just be a good positive person, your beliefs are your own and I don't judge anyone based upon their religion, or lack thereof.

You are rare. Phone Post
1/10/13 10:28 PM
Porkchop

Bjjudo - 
Johan Von Brügermëister -
Jimmy Rustler -
UGSlapshot - 
Jimmy Rustler -

Albert Einstein was autistic and couldn't speak till he was like 3. Sure he was smart but to pretend like he's the greatest mind the world has ever known is just ignorant. To think that just his belief in god validates your argument is shockingly dumb Phone Post
Laughable and the fact that he is wrong

Einstein rejected labels but did not believe in the Christian god, and was somewhere between atheism and agnostic

''About God, I cannot accept any concept based on the authority of the Church. As long as I can remember, I have resented mass indoctrination. I do not believe in the fear of life, in the fear of death, in blind faith. I cannot prove to you that there is no personal God, but if I were to speak of him, I would be a liar. I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil. My God created laws that take care of that. His universe is not ruled by wishful thinking, but by immutable laws''.

- Albert Einstein Phone Post

again, this.
1/10/13 10:40 PM
wisdomseeker76

AbbeyRoadMe - Thanks for the kind words wisdomseeker76. You seem to keep an open mind and I really respect that. As an atheist, it's clear what my beliefs are. However, you won't catch me trying to convert anyone, because I know that beliefs should come from within.

I'm certainly well versed in the teachings of Jesus himself. I was raised to be religious. As a philosopher Jesus spoke of kindness, charity, and selflessness. Great philosophy to embrace whether you're a man of faith or not. Phone Post
Thank you Abby.
I try the best I can to be a good human being.
I guess the best we can do is continue to question everything and treat our fellow man as a brother. The hard part is
"believing" you are correct, and how you act on that "belief".
Stay classy San Diego. Phone Post
1/10/13 10:56 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

wisdomseeker76 - 
mmavixen -

Since you asked about UG'ers : I believe in God and Jesus Christ.  I was raised Catholic, but I don't go to church.  I pray at home because I found that a good percentage of people who attend church don't practice what they preach and are generally full of shit (not all of them, but a good percentage).

I don't mean to start any debate.  If you believe in God, if you're a fundamentalist, if you're an Athiest, if you're agnostic...whatever.  Just be a good positive person, your beliefs are your own and I don't judge anyone based upon their religion, or lack thereof.

You are rare. Phone Post

Very rare indeed, especially for a Papist in my experience. I get the 'dead works' BS so often when people find out about my volunteer work.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.