UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How many fighters are athiest?

1/11/13 1:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Nate 'Rock' Quarry
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm an agnostic. Just for fun I really enjoy googling proof that the Bible was true and proof that the Bible was false. It's entertaining.
1/11/13 3:20 AM
TheBoognish
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nate 'Rock' Quarry - I'm an agnostic. Just for fun I really enjoy googling proof that the Bible was true and proof that the Bible was false. It's entertaining.
No more green name? Should still have it even tho you're retired IMO.

As for the thread, we won't know who's atheist because they're not gonna shove their beliefs down your throat every chance they get. We know you believe in god Benson, anything else you'd like to talk about sometime? Phone Post
1/11/13 10:01 AM
Fight! UK Online
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

scaredy cat - "I'd like to thank 3 Billion years of evolution for this victory. Also to the generations of scientists and doctors that have improved the health of our species to the point that I can dominate my opponent. Coming into this fight I knew I was doing this in memory of Hitchens. THIS ONE'S FOR YOU HITCH!!"

Would be awesome!

If I ever get in the UFC I'm doing this.

1/11/13 10:29 AM
scaredy cat
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fight! UK Online - 
scaredy cat - "I'd like to thank 3 Billion years of evolution for this victory. Also to the generations of scientists and doctors that have improved the health of our species to the point that I can dominate my opponent. Coming into this fight I knew I was doing this in memory of Hitchens. THIS ONE'S FOR YOU HITCH!!"

Would be awesome!

I would immediately become your #1 fan if you did.
1/11/13 11:40 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

scaredy cat -
Fight! UK Online - 

Would be awesome!

Agreed. Phone Post
1/11/13 4:45 PM
Carla Esparza #1 Fan
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

scaredy cat - 
Fight! UK Online - 

Would be awesome!

Your fight banner would also have to have the Neil Degrasse Tyson "We've got a badass over here" Meme on it.

1/11/13 4:54 PM
scaredy cat
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carla Esparza #1 Fan - 
scaredy cat - 
Fight! UK Online - 

Would be awesome!

Your fight banner would also have to have the Neil Degrasse Tyson "We've got a badass over here" Meme on it.

Oh hell yeah. This needs to happen.
1/11/13 5:46 PM
samcarr6

Carla Esparza #1 Fan -
scaredy cat - 
Fight! UK Online - 

Would be awesome!

Got to happen Phone Post
1/11/13 6:02 PM
Petey B
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jimmy Rustler -

Frank Mir is an atheist and he is teaching that crap to his kids too who are gonna grow up without God in their life... kinda sad situation

You don't have to teach atheism, you have to teach religion. Everyone is born an atheist until someone tells them their version of God...of which there are millions of different viewpoints even within the same religion. Phone Post
1/13/13 12:18 AM
Porkchop

Edited: 01/15/13 3:14 PM
TheBoognish - 
Nate 'Rock' Quarry - I'm an agnostic. Just for fun I really enjoy googling proof that the Bible was true and proof that the Bible was false. It's entertaining.

As for the thread, we won't know who's atheist because they're not gonna shove their beliefs down your throat every chance they get. We know you believe in god Benson, anything else you'd like to talk about sometime? Phone Post

That's not Nate Quarry. Nate Quarry is actually very religious.

Edit - I posted this but I did some research and corrected myself. This is actually Nate's account.
1/14/13 4:48 PM
DiscipleDojo
612 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disciple Dojo, L3C, Founder
Petey B - 
Jimmy Rustler -

Frank Mir is an atheist and he is teaching that crap to his kids too who are gonna grow up without God in their life... kinda sad situation

You don't have to teach atheism, you have to teach religion. Everyone is born an atheist until someone tells them their version of God...of which there are millions of different viewpoints even within the same religion. Phone Post

This is a statement that can't be confirmed in any objective way. (It could also be argued that it goes against the near-universal concept of the existence of the divine within every culture in human history, if anything.)

There are smart atheists. There are smart Christians. There are smart agnostics. There are smart Hindus. etc. etc. Anyone who argues that religious beliefs are merely a matter of logic or intelligence reveals their own ignorance in a very telling manner.

1/14/13 5:18 PM
samcarr6

DiscipleDojo -
Petey B - 
Jimmy Rustler -

This is a statement that can't be confirmed in any objective way. (It could also be argued that it goes against the near-universal concept of the existence of the divine within every culture in human history, if anything.)

There are smart atheists. There are smart Christians. There are smart agnostics. There are smart Hindus. etc. etc. Anyone who argues that religious beliefs are merely a matter of logic or intelligence reveals their own ignorance in a very telling manner.

Petey B is basing this on the definition of atheism that it is "a lack of belief in god etc". On that definition, don't you agree that he's right? That no baby is born with a belief in any god Phone Post
1/14/13 10:55 PM
DiscipleDojo
612 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would agree that no baby is born with belief in any particular God/gods. But I believe everyone is born with an innate sense of the concept of the divine and/or supernatural. There's a near-universal longing on the part of humanity for connection with a higher power.

The skeptic of course attributes this to either an evolutionary phenomenon (such as Dawkins' concept of "Memes"), or primeval cultural/anthropological influences that originated in fear or attempt to control and have remained throughout human development over time.

Religious believers attribute it to various asepcts of God/god/gods interaction with humanity on a deeper spiritual level (for instance, the Judeo-Christian traditions see it as the natural and expected effect of the concept of humanity bearing the Imago Dei--the "image of God" as taught throughout the Old and New Testaments).

Both groups can make rational and, to various degrees, plausible arguments to support their position. Anyone who glibly dismisses either approach out of hand or for a rhetorical "score" in debates or for sound-bytes to sell books is showing they are either disingenuous or ignorant of the opposing view/s, IMO.

1/15/13 12:39 AM
Porkchop

samcarr6 - 
Carla Esparza #1 Fan -
scaredy cat - 
Fight! UK Online - 

Would be awesome!

Got to happen Phone Post

holy fuck that would be awesome!
1/15/13 12:43 AM
Porkchop

DiscipleDojo - 

I would agree that no baby is born with belief in any particular God/gods. But I believe everyone is born with an innate sense of the concept of the divine and/or supernatural. There's a near-universal longing on the part of humanity for connection with a higher power.

The skeptic of course attributes this to either an evolutionary phenomenon (such as Dawkins' concept of "Memes"), or primeval cultural/anthropological influences that originated in fear or attempt to control and have remained throughout human development over time.

Religious believers attribute it to various asepcts of God/god/gods interaction with humanity on a deeper spiritual level (for instance, the Judeo-Christian traditions see it as the natural and expected effect of the concept of humanity bearing the Imago Dei--the "image of God" as taught throughout the Old and New Testaments).

Both groups can make rational and, to various degrees, plausible arguments to support their position. Anyone who glibly dismisses either approach out of hand or for a rhetorical "score" in debates or for sound-bytes to sell books is showing they are either disingenuous or ignorant of the opposing view/s, IMO.

yeah but we all know there is no evidence for any gods so why would you want to believe in it?

And people aren't born wanting to believe in any of that stuff. Babies would much rather not have their heads filled with scriptures. Math and science and other academic pursuits are a much better use of one's time.

Religion is more like a hobby for people who want to believe they are special.
1/15/13 12:38 PM
DiscipleDojo

Porkchop - 
DiscipleDojo - 

yeah but we all know there is no evidence for any gods so why would you want to believe in it?

And people aren't born wanting to believe in any of that stuff. Babies would much rather not have their heads filled with scriptures. Math and science and other academic pursuits are a much better use of one's time.

^ I couldn't have written a better example of what I'm referring to than this.

1/15/13 2:46 PM
Auron Heidenrach

Porkchop - 
TheBoognish - 

It is Nate. I remember on Nate's old Myspace page, it said he's Agnostic. It's him.
1/15/13 2:48 PM
donkypunch55
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Porkchop with the home run.
Well said. Phone Post
1/15/13 3:06 PM
Porkchop

Edited: 01/15/13 3:16 PM
Auron Heidenrach - 
Porkchop - 
TheBoognish - 

It is Nate. I remember on Nate's old Myspace page, it said he's Agnostic. It's him.

I'm very confident in this.

I haven't asked him personally but on facebook he talks about god quite a bit.

I don't know any agnostics that talk about any gods the way I've seen him talk about it.

I can't speak for him though. I can just say what I've seen. Apparently you have seen the opposite so I guess we cancel each other out.

Edit - I'm wrong on this. I looked up Nate's account on the UG and found a thread where his name is still green and it has the same join date and a few less posts.

My bad Nate. I honestly thought I heard you talking about religion and how you were religious. My memory failed me. I didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/378779/Nate-Quarry-thanks-UG-for-new-MMA-talk-show-role/

^ Proof that this is Nate's account.
1/15/13 3:09 PM
Porkchop

DiscipleDojo - 
Porkchop - 
DiscipleDojo - 

^ I couldn't have written a better example of what I'm referring to than this.

There's nothing ignorant about not taking the stories in scriptures as reality.

Evidence is the only way to make up one's mind about something. Anything else is actually where ignorance lies.

But to each their own. Believe what you want. Just know that rational people have no obligation to take you seriously or respect your belief.

If you want to believe it doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't effect me.
1/15/13 3:10 PM
DiscipleDojo

I belive Nate has said that while he was raised in a strict Jehovah's Witness family, he rejects those beliefs and has become somewhat agnostic since.  I know many people who use "agnostic" to mean less than the technical definition of the term. Usually something like "I think there's probably a God, or higher supreme power, but I don't believe any religions are correct in defining him/her/it" etc.

I could be wrong, but I feel like I read something along these lines in an interview he did a few years back.

1/15/13 3:13 PM
DiscipleDojo

Porkchop, you keep using the term "rational"...

1/15/13 3:22 PM
Brian Rule
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just going to leave this here. I actually don't think it speaks specifically to EVERY sort of notion of "god" (e.g. 'Spinoza's god', as Einstein referenced, doesn't apply here) but it does apply to all absurd claims of the major religions today. The Bible, The Koran, etc date themselves horribly, and thus their subsequent religions are nothing more than ancient mythologies. The laws of nature, however, are eternal

1/15/13 3:23 PM
Porkchop

DiscipleDojo - 

Porkchop, you keep using the term "rational"...

lol is that the guy from the princess bride movie? I'm not sure why you posted that because I remember basically nothing from that movie since I saw it when I was like 7. I did google "rational princess bride" though because I recognized him and found this....

Rational is a subjective word.... fair enough.... To a murderer it can seem rational to kill people who they are facinated with. It can seem rational to rape if you are a rapist....

Maybe I could have chosen a more specific word. Fair point. For my purposes it meant someone who thinks logically by taking evidence and fact into consideration first and foremost.

Totally subjective word though... fair point.

1/15/13 3:25 PM
Porkchop

Brian Rule - Just going to leave this here. I actually don't think it speaks specifically to EVERY sort of notion of "god" (e.g. 'Spinoza's god', as Einstein referenced, doesn't apply here) but it does apply to all absurd claims of the major religions today. The Bible, The Koran, etc date themselves horribly, and thus their subsequent religions are nothing more than ancient mythologies. The laws of nature, however, are eternal

excellent point. thanks for posting.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.