UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cormier - Enlighten Me On His Prowess

1/8/13 10:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Diazed And Confused
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Before you VD, this is a honest request of a bit of MMA enlightenment.

No, I am not some ignorant douche fuck on fighters, I know my shit (Well... Ironic to say that given the thread, but nonetheless).

What makes him so "good"? Why does he have the support he does?

Good wrestling pedigree? Cardio, KO power? I know these, but other than the Bigfoot silva KO I'm unaware of other fights that showcase his warrant of this reputation

If someone could point me to a great highlight reel, and take the time to give me an insightful post, I'll give you a VU.

He just seems higher mid-level to me, and I would love some information as to why I need to hold him up there with Cain.

Thanks in advance, UG <3 Phone Post
1/8/13 11:40 PM
wiggum
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watch the Josh Barnett fight.
1/9/13 12:07 AM
TheGoldenRule
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree w OP... And did see the josh fight... Phone Post
1/9/13 12:36 AM
Stan Dan Wang
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

best wrestler in the division.
1/9/13 12:47 AM
TheGoldenRule
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best wrestler in WHAT div?

and lol at discussing the striking he put together vs Jeff Phone Post
1/9/13 12:57 AM
PrettyBoy
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheGoldenRule - Best wrestler in WHAT div?

and lol at discussing the striking he put together vs Jeff Phone Post
Best wrestler in HW or 205 IMO. And he has come together as one of the best strikers at HW for sure. The fact that he mixes it up so well puts him squarely in the top 4 in the world at HW IMO.

Only Cain, Overeem, and JDS have anything for him right now. Phone Post
1/9/13 4:13 AM
SinCityHustler

Watch how relaxed he's in there.  It allows him to work efficiently and effectively to put together his stand up and wrestling transitions.  He just doesn't get rattled and calmly goes out there and executes his technical and athletic prowess.  A thing of beauty.  

1/9/13 4:17 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Superb wrestling, constant improvement and high level athletic qualities.
1/9/13 4:56 AM
kickasspoolparty
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First time I saw him fight was in KOTC and I was pretty sure he was going to be a force in the heavyweight division. Now he's at the top of the food chain. He's a beast bottom line. No one bullies Josh Barnett and that's what he effectively did. I mean come on, Barnett is the man, always a tough fight and his record proves it. DC is going to be around for a long time as far as I'm concerned!! Phone Post
1/9/13 5:24 AM
slamming

Anderson Emelianenko GOAT - Cormier is a better version of Cain

He doesnt fight like Cain at all really.

And id wager than Cain has a better gastank than him. Cain's cardio is arguably top 3 in MMA. Factor in the weight he has to push around and it might be the best.
1/9/13 5:27 AM
slamming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzF-rBIiPbE
1/9/13 5:35 AM
Octogod
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he might even coach cain at aka not totally sure on that! Hes like Fedor with sik wrestling.to the best of my knowledge Phone Post
1/9/13 5:42 AM
LAE

SinCityHustler - 

Watch how relaxed he's in there.  It allows him to work efficiently and effectively to put together his stand up and wrestling transitions.  He just doesn't get rattled and calmly goes out there and executes his technical and athletic prowess.  A thing of beauty.  

This. He looks like he's been fighting for 10 years. Its the reason Cain is so successful.

He has confidence in the skills he's learning in the gym and executes them in a fight situation, something a lot of fighter promise but few deliver on. Look at the Silva fight, he dropped him hard early and didn't get over exited at the prospect of a finish. He took his time and put Bigfoot away brutally. His exceptional wrestling base gives him a huge advantage, he can commit to strikes due to the fact he's confident he wont get put on his back and the fact that his opponents wont commit to there strikes as they are afraid they're going to get taken down. It's why GSP is so succesful.

As always though, we need to see how he reacts when things aren't going his way. The ability to come back from adversity is the difference between good fighters and great fighters. Anderson showed it vs Chael and Lutter. Fedor showed it multiple times. GSP has shown it against BJ and Condit, Frankie vs Maynard II and III.

Its time he fights some of the big guns and really see if he can hang with the likes of Reem, JDS and Werdum. His performance against Barnett showed his potential, now its time to prove himself.
1/9/13 4:13 PM
imontoya

It does not take much for a few fanatics on TUF to get all excited and named anybody the next big thing. I always wondered the same, yes I watched most of his fights, people here are quick to jump on any bandwagon. Daniel is only 1.80 DO YOU GUYS KNOW THAT? He will be a real dwarf at HW'S,
but again, most of you are 'experts' here.....haha
1/9/13 4:15 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

CREamed_by_DongJ - 

The way he picked Bigfoot apart was real eye opening, the win over Barnett established his spot in the top 5.

A good way for me to describe him to you is that he's mostly substance with bits of flash. He's a natural on the feet and very comfortable in the pocket, he shows strengths in most areas where new to MMA wrestlers may suffer their biggest weaknesses.

what is this? a reasoned, logical and correct analysis from cre? what have you done with the real cre that presents arguments in the form of rap videos?

1/9/13 4:58 PM
Michael Kn1ght

wiggum - Watch the Josh Barnett fight.
. Phone Post
1/9/13 6:20 PM
JLTECH

This man is a world class athlete

I never understand y people on the U G doubt these great competitors.

Like the one yesterday who in the ufc could you throw down with and not get destroyed come on now Phone Post
1/9/13 7:38 PM
Moist Gracie
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best wrestler in MMA. Period. Starting to really get good striking. Has tremendous potential. PED free.

and no, fanboys, the best wrestler IS NOT GSP. GSP the best double leg. He is not the best all around wrestler.
1/9/13 10:14 PM
slamming

Sal Penis -

So let me get this straight. Because DC is not in the UFC, he sucks right? That is what OP is alluding to?

Before ZUFFA pillaged Strikeforce; The strikeforce HW division was the best there was. Currently about half of the UFC HW division is made up of low level fighters who would have gotten destroyed in Strikeforce last year. Guys like Moorecraft, Mitrione, Browne, Schaub, Herman, De Fries all would have gotten mauled by the likes of DC, Barnett, Kharitonov, Arlovski etc.

No that wasn't what he was alluding to. Angry? Phone Post
1/10/13 3:53 AM
Diazed And Confused
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slamming -
Sal Penis -

So let me get this straight. Because DC is not in the UFC, he sucks right? That is what OP is alluding to?

Before ZUFFA pillaged Strikeforce; The strikeforce HW division was the best there was. Currently about half of the UFC HW division is made up of low level fighters who would have gotten destroyed in Strikeforce last year. Guys like Moorecraft, Mitrione, Browne, Schaub, Herman, De Fries all would have gotten mauled by the likes of DC, Barnett, Kharitonov, Arlovski etc.

I was extremely neutral in my post to avoid that stance being taken. Come on son.

And how on earth did this thread warrant VD? Am I not allowed to want to 1. Enlightmen myself on a talented prospect to the UFC 2. Cause a discussion on said prospects abilities?

Sometimes this Karma system is more of a hindrance to quality posts/threads than an encouragement

I watched the Bigfoot and Barnett fights, and I was impressed, but not to the point I think other people are. The guy is good and talented, but he needs a better test before I throw my full support behind him. Phone Post
1/10/13 4:44 AM
Diazed And Confused

Anderson Emelianenko GOAT -
Diazed And Confused - 
slamming -
Sal Penis -

I was extremely neutral in my post to avoid that stance being taken. Come on son.

And how on earth did this thread warrant VD? Am I not allowed to want to 1. Enlightmen myself on a talented prospect to the UFC 2. Cause a discussion on said prospects abilities?

Sometimes this Karma system is more of a hindrance to quality posts/threads than an encouragement

I watched the Bigfoot and Barnett fights, and I was impressed, but not to the point I think other people are. The guy is good and talented, but he needs a better test before I throw my full support behind him. Phone Post

a better test? like who?

Cain got a title shot after beating Cheick Kongo and Big Nog.

Cormier also ran through Bigfoot in much more impressive fashion than Cain.

are you impressed with Cain? if not, who exactly are you impressed with and have thrown your "full support" behind?
The Barnett fight is iffy to me because of his injury.

The Bigfoot fight was good, but he still got tagged a couple times by him and stumbled from it.

I'm just saying where people hold him now seems a bit flaky, his TDD and balance are incredible and I will not deny that one.

Like "The Black Fedor"? After beating Bigfoot and Barnett? No. Phone Post
1/10/13 5:28 AM
Diazed And Confused

BendosBaptisedBitch - OP cites bigfoot win and doesnt mention Barnett. gtfoh. Josh Barnett.
I just referenced it in the post above yours Phone Post
1/13/13 3:50 PM
Moist Gracie
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/13/13 4:45 PM
Diazed And Confused

I missed the card yesterday and am trying to find a copy/stream of it so I can see how it all played out.

Anyone got anything more to add after this latest fight? Phone Post
1/13/13 4:57 PM
Shinsplint
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Calm cool and collected. I'm not going to call him the black fedor but the guys comfort level in the cage reminds me of him. Watching him work his top game and body surfing I can't imagine how shitty it would be to stuck under that guy.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.