UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighters you try to emulate in traneing

1/8/13 10:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tank by gogoplata
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First thread I've created.

What fighters do you try to emulate in traneing and why?

I've been traneing for a short time and I started with a more traditional boxing stance similar to BJ Penn. I keep my right hand high to guard the chin and my left hand low for power and to protect the body.(thanks, Jack Slack) I parry fairly well with the left.

Lately, I've found myself with a more broad stance similar to Lyoto Machida. I keep the left hand high for parrying and blocking and the right hand loose and free for the straight. I switch from orthodox to southpaw frequently and I find myself able to land more kicks and disengage from my opponent more easily than in the more conventional boxing stance.

I switch between the two depending on if I want to stand and trade in the pocket or hit and disengage.

My favorite technique is the side kick. I don't know why.

What fighters do you try to emulate and why?
1/8/13 10:34 PM
BENDOver 209 Top Team #1
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

try the side check kick, I reckon this is a move you should add to your arsenal

1/8/13 10:35 PM
Jobe Watson the Bomber
421 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tank Abbott. Phone Post
1/8/13 10:39 PM
Tank by gogoplata
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BENDOver 209 Top Team #1 - 

try the side check kick, I reckon this is a move you should add to your arsenal

Only the great James Toney knows the intricacies of said maneuver.
1/9/13 9:00 PM
Tank by gogoplata

Rise

Let's do this!

Other NPD cliché TTTs!
1/9/13 9:03 PM
Twister Trent
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Genki Sudo on the ground, Koscheck in wrestling, Rory Mac in the stand-up. Phone Post
1/9/13 9:04 PM
BeatonHauff
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The diaz brothers boxing style sometimes Phone Post
1/9/13 9:04 PM
BeatonHauff
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sugar Dick -

Bones Jones

What happened to the grey name bro? Phone Post
1/9/13 9:10 PM
Tank by gogoplata

Twister Trent -  Genki Sudo on the ground, Koscheck in wrestling, Rory Mac in the stand-up. Phone Post

Nice. I prefer Greco throws as opposed to singles and double legs, but I've been working on chain wrestling.
1/9/13 9:11 PM
Tank by gogoplata

Sugar Dick - 

Bones Jones

I like the side kick to the knee as well :p
1/10/13 12:06 AM
Docholiday32
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a short guy at 5'5" tall and have a short reach so I figure a style like Fankie Edgar would help me get in close, but then I just end up fighting like hendo when I get tired. I still feel like its a good combo to be though! Phone Post
1/10/13 12:10 AM
yellow wrkahlc
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scott Smith. I like the way he falls.

1/10/13 12:20 AM
Tank by gogoplata

lol at above^^^

I have not had the pleasure of getting bingo'd yet, but I'm sure I'll do my best Rashad Evans stanky leg when I do.

DocHoliday: sounds like a good combo to me. I have decent cardio, but I switched to a more kickboxing style because I was having a hard time getting in and I can land easier with kicks than trying to come in with punches. I normally wait to counter to strike with the hands.
1/10/13 2:25 AM
camozzi
723 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Art jimmerson (in reverse) I wear one boxing glove so they think I'm only throwing the gloved hand, then I just throw elbows with the ungloved hand/win Phone Post
1/11/13 10:48 AM
Tank by gogoplata

higherprimate718 - im not expert but I think its kind of foolish to emulate anyones style, rather than just doing what feels natural, and what works in sparring. However, I will take ideas and tricks from anyone

I'm not saying I fight like BJ or Machida, brah. I'm saying that I try to take some of the things that work for them and apply to my game.. Not foolish, imo.

You can't reinvent the wheel.
1/11/13 10:54 AM
Tank by gogoplata

camozzi -  Art jimmerson (in reverse) I wear one boxing glove so they think I'm only throwing the gloved hand, then I just throw elbows with the ungloved hand/win Phone Post

No can defend that recipe for success.

Good luck against Ring btw.
1/11/13 11:08 AM
Tank by gogoplata

This forum should have more discussion of actual technique rather than stupid threads like "UFC fighters you could do well against in a fight." You get a bunch of stupid ass responses from overweight basement dwellers saying they would sit on Faber or crush Mega Megu. SO stupid.

I am simply a humble novice looking to talk about fighting techniques and intricacies of maneuvers that I've never even heard of, to paraphrase Frank Mir.

I like to fight, I like to discuss fighting and I love learning new techniques.
1/11/13 11:51 AM
TheThrill
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gil melendez in the obiya fight,josh thomson in the 1st gilbert melendez fight,dominick cruz vs brian bowles in the wec...when i had a fight coming up those are the 3 that i used to watch over and over-gil for just coming out and kicking the shit out of you,and thomson and cruz for not getting hit
1/11/13 12:10 PM
ausgepicht
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have the guys do a pretty fun drill to spice up sparring here. I call it the "Jar Drill", though ironically it's done out of  a paper bag now. We fill a bag/jar with slips of paper with various fighters names on it. Just fill it with as many names as possible, and NOT just your favorite fighters.

When it comes time to scrimmage or spar, each person pulls a slip out of the bag and has to emulate/mimic that fighter in sparring. Some really interesting combinations and match-ups happen that gets people having fun and a good time. You could get a Tank Abbot for a 140#er and Frankie Edgar for a 300#er and it makes for good fun. People also discover tactics they wouldn't normally try, so on top of having fun it expands their game.

1/11/13 12:13 PM
X_Rated
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Viacheslav Datsik

1/11/13 12:14 PM
ausgepicht

X_Rated - 

Viacheslav Datsik

I'd like to see footage of that! LOL....thanks, now I have a new name for the bag.

1/11/13 12:17 PM
X_Rated
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously though.. there's a guy at a gym I go to for open mats every now and then... he will not tap. Has gotten himself hurt a couple times... shakes it off and rolls the next round. Like i hear his shoulder go pop pop pop from not tapping and he will yell in pain then mutter to himself and pace around for a minute then jump in for the next roll.

Could be the Canadian Datsik

1/11/13 12:19 PM
ausgepicht

Edited: 01/11/13 12:19 PM
Billy Joe Rottoncrotch - You misspelled the word training.

Um....no he didn't 12er. Minus well waste your time on something else, moran.

1/11/13 12:23 PM
X_Rated

Billy Joe Rottoncrotch - 
ausgepicht - 

I have a Masters degree in English Lit. from Devry University.

I know how to spell properly.

And the correct spelling is traIning you morOn.

This guy.. this guy is a maroon or a masterful troll

1/11/13 12:24 PM
ausgepicht

Edited: 01/11/13 12:25 PM
Billy Joe Rottoncrotch - 
ausgepicht - 

I have a Masters degree in English Lit. from Devry University.

I know how to spell properly.

And the correct spelling is traIning you morOn.

Clearly, Devry University is a community collage with sub-par standards. For all intensive purposes, it could be said to be a center for lower learning. 

Potato.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.