UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White: UFC safer than the NFL

1/8/13 10:34 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1062 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"Concussion is a huge dilemma right now for the NFL. Here's the difference between the UFC and the NFL as far as concussions are concerned.

First of all, if you get a concussion, if you get knocked out or you get hurt whatsoever in the UFC, three months suspension. You are on suspension for three months and you cannot come back until you are cleared by a doctor. You can't have any contact whatsoever. In the NFL, you're not going to lose Tom Brady for three months, man. You lose Tom Brady for three months and your whole season is wiped out.

So, the UFC, listen, we don't hide from it, it's a contact sport and that's what these guys do, (is) much safer. In the 20-year history of the UFC, it will be 20-years in November, there has never been a death or a serious injury. Never been a death or serious injury in 20 years because we go above and beyond when it comes to the safety of these guys.

When you know you have two healthy athletes getting ready to compete, they get the proper medical attention before and after, it's the safest sport in the world, fact."

read entire article...

1/8/13 10:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
warrendale
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed with dfw Phone Post
1/8/13 10:38 PM
yellow wrkahlc
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's crazy, but true, really.

You would figure MMA to be the more dangerous of the two, and I bet 80% of people on the street would choose MMA if asked between the two.

1/8/13 10:41 PM
BJ bashed into McDs mincemeat
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yup, more repeated head trauma in nfl Phone Post
1/8/13 10:53 PM
BrattMamley
1007 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have to argue against people all the time about this. Happy that Dana came out and said it. NFL is fucking nuts. Phone Post
1/8/13 10:53 PM
BrattMamley
1007 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for Gifs of the most vicious knockouts ever, though. Phone Post
1/8/13 10:56 PM
HandyDarsh
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/8/13 11:01 PM
Haulport

I am no fan of Dana, but he is 100% correct here. The NFL is INCREDIBLY dangerous and that doesn't even have to do with the concussion situation. You can run full speed and plant your helmet in the SPINE of another player and he doesn't even know you are coming. That traumatic force is UNEQUALED in MMA.

Period............

1/8/13 11:03 PM
Tap In
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They both will cause you long term brain damage, but yes football is quite a bit more dangerous. The helmet is a weapon
1/8/13 11:08 PM
Brian J DSouza

Is MMA the "safest sport in the world," though?

1/8/13 11:08 PM
part_time_lurker
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport - 

I am no fan of Dana, but he is 100% correct here. The NFL is INCREDIBLY dangerous and that doesn't even have to do with the concussion situation. You can run full speed and plant your helmet in the SPINE of another player and he doesn't even know you are coming. That traumatic force is UNEQUALED in MMA.

Period............

True, you CAN do that, but leading with the helmet is an illegal hit and will net you a penalty and most likely a hefty fine.
1/8/13 11:14 PM
WoodenPupa
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/08/13 11:15 PM
Preaching to the choir; we all know MMA is safer.<

What I don't like is the article's minimizing the importance of one cause of pugilistic dementia, that of cumulative blows. It says that PD is:

"a neurodegenerative disease that affects fighters and athletes who suffer from multiple concussions and/or blows to the head."

The "or" part being crucial. OR "blows to the head." The fact is, not all fighters who get PD have been diagnosed with concussions in their careers. Some doubtless go undiagnosed because not intensely symptomatic directly following a fight. Others might have never, or only rarely, suffered from a medically recognizable concussion.

The effect of cumulative blows to the head (entailed through fights AND training) has weaker short-term correlation with PD than with indisputable concussions, but no one doubts the general correlation. Length of career, perhaps fighting style are factors as well.

I didn't watch Dana's New Media Expo interview, so for all I know he did talk about this stuff, but the article referred to in the OP does not. It's an important kind of risk that distinguishes combat sports which allow frequent head contact from Football.

It's been argued that better education (say, seminars for fighters) would help, but I'm not sure how much). MMA is risky on a long term basis, perhaps less so than boxing and football, but still risky. The future is just what athletes are willing to risk though. Even tough and well conditioned bodies fall prey to injury and time. It's just a shame that brains have to be a part of the risk.

What needs to happen is frequent interactive testing, as opposed to mere MRI and various passive scanning techniques. PD has behavioral signs, and athletic commissions and promoters need to work together to track and ward off PD before it completely overtakes a fighter.

It would be idealistic to assume that all cases could be prevented, of course, or cognition always preserved unaltered. But a better process is in order---unless I'm mistaken, and those measures are already underway.
1/8/13 11:19 PM
Matrixkick
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WoodenPupa - Preaching to the choir; we all know MMA is safer.<

What I don't like is the article's minimizing the importance of one cause of pugilistic dementia, that of cumulative blows. It says that PD is:

"a neurodegenerative disease that affects fighters and athletes who suffer from multiple concussions and/or blows to the head."

The "or" part being crucial. OR "blows to the head." The fact is, not all fighters who get PD have been diagnosed with concussions in their careers. Some doubtless go undiagnosed because not intensely symptomatic directly following a fight. Others might have never, or only rarely, suffered from a medically recognizable concussion.

The effect of cumulative blows to the head (entailed through fights AND training) has weaker short-term correlation with PD than with indisputable concussions, but no one doubts the general correlation. Length of career, perhaps fighting style are factors as well.

I didn't watch Dana's New Media Expo interview, so for all I know he did talk about this stuff, but the article referred to in the OP does not. It's an important kind of risk that distinguishes combat sports which allow frequent head contact from Football.

It's been argued that better education (say, seminars for fighters) would help, but I'm not sure how much). MMA is risky on a long term basis, perhaps less so than boxing and football, but still risky. The future is just what athletes are willing to risk though. Even tough and well conditioned bodies fall prey to injury and time. It's just a shame that brains have to be a part of the risk.

What needs to happen is frequent interactive testing, as opposed to mere MRI and various passive scanning techniques. PD has behavioral signs, and athletic commissions and promoters need to work together to track and ward off PD before it completely overtakes a fighter.

It would be idealistic to assume that all cases could be prevented, of course, or cognition always preserved unaltered. But a better process is in order---unless I'm mistaken, and those measures are already underway.
This. But yes overall safer Phone Post
1/8/13 11:42 PM
THP

What's the point of releasing this kind of statement? The UFC doesn't have a competition with the NFL. The NFL doesn't need to be kicked in the dick when they're already down.
1/8/13 11:59 PM
TzTinkle
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't buy it...look at goodridge, crocop, ninja, chuck, and Jens. What shape will these guys be in after 20 years?
1/9/13 12:02 AM
Brian J DSouza

Edited: 01/09/13 12:03 AM

The other thing is, what about the concussions NFL players get in college and high school? Does the NFL call football "football" or "NFL"?

MMA is more than fights in the UFC. Its the amateur fights, smokers and kickboxing bouts that happen before a pro career, the unregulated sparring in gyms, and the bouts in small organizations both before and (more importantly) AFTER a UFC/PRIDE career that can cause a lot of brain damage.

How many UFC veterans from the SEG and early Zuffa era are still fighting, taking losses in small promotions against no-name guys?

Not saying Zuffa has to compensate the fighters it contracts out for life, but there's still a lot of issues with the sport that aren't fully understood definitively,  the health of the brain being one of them.

1/9/13 12:39 AM
zebers3
407 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THP - What's the point of releasing this kind of statement? The UFC doesn't have a competition with the NFL. The NFL doesn't need to be kicked in the dick when they're already down.

I think some people are just taking this statement the wrong way. My guess is that this statement is simply a response to critics who are still claiming that the sport is dangerous and barbaric, etc.

Dana is simply pointing out that something as mainstream and accepted as NFL is much more dangerous than MMA, so the argument of safety should not be a hindrance.
1/9/13 12:58 AM
hogh20

Include all of MMA, don't limit it to UFC. At least 3 people have died I can remember. Several have broken their own neck with that rear naked choke defense of spiking. Countless broken bones. And yes, older vets showing signs of head trauma. Then compare the number of serious injury per capita, there is no comparison. There have been 10s if not 100s of thousands of people that have played football. How many have done MMA? MMA is VERY dangerous, despite of all the precautions that are taken.
1/9/13 1:24 AM
Gordo1581
462 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, the UFC, listen, we don't hide from it, it's a contact sport and that's what these guys do, (is) much safer.

You don't? Then why do you never show the doctors working on a ko'd fighter?

Every other sport shows the medical staff working on a seriously injured athlete except for you.
1/9/13 1:33 AM
XxLiveBaitxX
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just about every sport is safer than the NFL, was that not common knowledge? Did Dana hire a team of experts to confirm this?

Does he think an army of elite athletes will be knocking on the UFC door because they wish to take a 1000% paycut?

Fact of the matter is the NFL PAYS. The league minimum is better than 99% of UFC fighters salaries.

1/9/13 1:55 AM
WoodenPupa
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Certain positions are more dangerous than others in Football I would say, though it's just a flat out dangerous game.

The QB position, even with the rules in place, you'd have to be nuts to play that. Getting assaulted from a 300 lb projectile, often from behind, and in the most vulnerable pose possible (arm extended in the air, legs planted not to stabilize the body, but optimized to launch the ball) just can't be fun. And you know it's going to happen over, and over, and over in your career, regardless of how good your line protection is.

Of course there are idiots stuck with the cockfighting MMA paradigm, and Dana does those fools an educational service (to the extent they can even process the idea that MMA is safer than other sports; some people require repeated exposure to the bare argument, others statistical evidence, while others will never get it).

In terms of the home base, the hard core fans and the actual community of fighters, pugilistic dementia and its minimization/prevention is what needs to be addressed.
1/9/13 2:03 AM
WoodenPupa

Almost all athletes can expect aggravating injuries beyond the otherwise normal part of an aging process, especially shot knees (and what prevents many from having pro-careers in the first place---how often we see the hobbling disgruntled, singing songs of the high school glory days, and what whores and gold were down the road if it hadn't been for the blown out back.

Bodies just get fucked up by sports, period. But the brain is where our identities lie (or at least, what are required to form an identity, whatever further metaphysical commitments we have) and a badly injured brain is a kind of living death.
1/9/13 2:04 AM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

true Phone Post
1/9/13 2:04 AM
simonpe

Anderson Emelianenko GOAT - no shit
. Phone Post
1/9/13 4:17 AM
Y2JB

I was with Dana right up until, " it's the safest sport in the world, fact". Yeah netball deaths are tearing family's apart across the world, i'd ban it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.