UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> MMA Guide to the Joe Rogan Experience, Volume II

1/8/13 11:31 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Underground Blogger Jack Brown is "The Part-Time Martial Artist," offering a full-time fan's perspective on UFC and major MMA news, developments, and hypotheticals.

In his lastest Underground Blog, he covers the Joe Rogan Experiece, again.

Six months ago, I gave you volume one, but there have been many more episodes of the JRE podcast since then.  At the beginning of July, Joe, and producer and co-host Brian Redban, were up to episode 236.  Six months later, they’re on episode 306.  Over the course of those seventy episodes there have been multiple appearances by the comics that JRE fans have come to know and love (Andrew Dice Clay, Ari Shaffir, Bert Kreischer, Joey Diaz, Bryan Callen, Duncan Trussell, Tom Segura, Doug Stanhope, Dom Irrera, Dave Attell, and many more).  There have also been some mind-blowing guest appearances (Dr. Peter Duesberg – episode 282, John McAfee – episode 290, Dennis McKenna – episode 298, just to name a few).  But don’t worry, UG, there have also been a bunch of MMA-related episodes for you to enjoy.  I’ve listened to every minute of every episode and pulled out the best for you.  So once again, consider me your humble shaman as I guide you through everything MMA that has occurred on the JRE since mid-summer.

MMA-related guests and episodes

Tito Ortiz – episode 247
Tito was a guest that many MMA fans had hoped would one day appear on the JRE, and they got their wish with this episode.  Not everybody loves Tito, but most wanted to hear what he had to say.  The recently retired, UFC Hall-of-Famer, came on the show as a way of making up for missing that final post-fight chat with Joe (Forrest must still wince when he thinks of that).  They talked about many things including Tito’s time in the cage.  Of course, some of Tito’s famous exploits outside of the cage were discussed as well.  It’s a must-listen for an MMA fan. 

Mac Danzig – episode 267
Danzig, the TUF 6 champion and renowned vegan, was a natural fit for the JRE.  Opinionated, artistic, and intellectual, as well as a gritty and talented veteran of the UFC, Danzig’s episode did not disappoint.  Listeners learned all about Danzig’s past and his current mindset when it comes to health and fighting.  Danzig’s reflections on training and head injuries were particularly compelling.  After his appearance, Danzig also began a podcast of his own.  Now, a few episodes in, Danzig has begun to hit his stride with an episode featuring guests Dan Hardy and Forrest Griffin (Forrest is everywhere).

Tait Fletcher – episode 269
Fletcher, a retired MMA fighter who was on Ken Shamrock’s team on TUF 3, had been mentioned several times before on previous episodes of the JRE.  That’s because Fletcher is one of Joe’s good friends and his former bodyguard.  In the past, however, it was Fletcher’s protein-powered flatulence that Joe was discussing.  In this episode, Fletcher demonstrated that he has a lot more going for him than deadly gas.  The rapport was solid, and the conversation was wide-ranging, making for another great podcast.

Brian Rose and Nic Gabriel – episode 271

Not many would have expected this episode to appear on this list.  However, if an MMA fan skipped over this one, he or she would be missing out on one of the best discussions about BJJ and training that Joe has ever had on the JRE.  Rose and Gabriel have a weekly internet show, “London Real.” The show, situated in London, is similar to the JRE in terms of the range of guests and discussions.  Rose and Gabriel met at the Roger Gracie Academy a number of years ago, and both are skilled in BJJ.  Rose has his purple belt and Gabriel is a Roger Gracie black belt and instructor.  The conversation did touch on more serious subjects, but the best stuff came when Joe and his guests were comparing BJJ to other martial arts. 

Victor Conte – episode 277
This is another episode that does not immediately make someone think of MMA.  Conte is best known for his infamous connection to Barry Bonds and his founding of BALCO.  However, Conte is now working with MMA fighters like AKA’s Kyle Kingsbury.  This episode made headlines for some of Conte’s salacious descriptions about his time in prison (including hookers), but there was enough PED and MMA discussions to make it of interest for an MMA fan.

Eddie Bravo – episode 292
It had been a while, but the veteran guest of the JRE (nearly 20 episodes) returned after a few months in between visits.  The recent birth of his first child might have had something to do with that, but it was good to have one of Joe’s closest friends back on again.  As I explained in volume one, Bravo is one of the most accomplished and influential figures in modern BJJ.  The advanced Jean-Jacques Machado black belt, creator of 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, and successful musician, is a 21st century renaissance man.  He’s usually at his best when he’s discussing his other, more obtuse, obsessions (chemtrails and other government conspiracies), but he’s always interesting.  Hopefully, there will continue to be more Eddie Bravo, and maybe even some Renato Laranja (it didn’t work out so well that one time, but…).

Josh Barnett – episode 302
This was Barnett’s second appearance on the JRE, and maybe a sign of things to come.  He and Joe seem to have a great chemistry.  Their conversations, mostly about cars and MMA and all things dangerous, never lag.  Barnett, a legend in the sport, is still very relevant.  He’s likely to be making his long-awaited return to the UFC this year after he fights on the Strikeforce finale.  It would be great promoting to have him on again once his first UFC opponent is announced. 

Matt Vengrin – episode 303
This recent episode was a bit of a departure from the “average” JRE guest, but it definitely resulted in a compelling listen that was relevant for an MMA fan.  Vengrin is a poker pro who makes his money down in Mexico.  Poker and MMA have intersected before, and the game is a lucrative interest for guys like Bruce Buffer and Mike Swick.  But Vengrin’s connection to MMA is that he has been a “mental” coach for veteran UFC fighters, Martin Kampmann and Cung Le.  The nature of such an endeavor made it difficult for Vengrin to provide many specifics, but it was still remarkable to know that fighters would utilize him in this capacity.  It’s worth a listen, especially if you also like poker.

Updated wish-list for future MMA-related guests

In Volume one, my wish-list for future guests included Dana White, Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar, the Diaz brothers, Chris Leben, War Machine, and Steven Seagal.  Not one has yet appeared on the JRE, but I still look forward to the possibility that they will one day join Joe and Redban.  In the meanwhile, here are some more individuals that I’d like to see/hear on the JRE:

Rener and Ryron Gracie
If you don’t know these two yet, you’ve been missing out.  They’ll definitely be the subject of a future blog.  I know that you recognize the name Gracie, but these two brothers are the sons of Rorion Gracie.  Rorion is the second oldest son of Helio Gracie, the creator of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.  Rorion is also one of the original founders of the UFC.  Rener and Ryron created Gracie University, the world’s largest online Jiu-Jitsu training program.  But it’s the numerous “Gracie Breakdowns” that these two have been posting on YouTube that have shown the world the infectious enthusiasm that these Gracie brothers bring.  I think that Joe, along with the audience, would love to hear all about the Gracie clan.  You really couldn’t go wrong having a number of the Gracies on the JRE (Rose, Renzo, Royce, Rickson, Rorion, Cesar, just to name a few).  So let’s start with these two and take it from there. 

Dan Hardy
I was convinced that I had already heard Hardy on the JRE, but I double-checked and I couldn’t find it.  The colorful Brit, veteran UFC fighter, seeker (of things like Ayahuasca ), tattoo aficionado, and good friend of Joe’s, would be a natural fit for several hours of far-ranging discussions.  As a father of two young sons who’s Legos have taken over our home, I’d also like to hear more about Hardy’s obsession with the classic building toys.   

Kenny Florian
The retired UFC veteran, who was a contender at both lightweight and featherweight, is currently the Joe Rogan of the UFC’s B-team broadcasts.  Along with Jon Anik, who does the play-by-play, Florian has been providing color commentary on the UFC’s FUEL TV events.  Like Rogan, he is knowledgeable and entertaining.  But it’s Florian’s Twitter account that shows his wit as well as his wide range of interests.  I believe he’s now living in southern California (or he is at least bicoastal – not that there’s anything wrong with that).  So I don’t know what’s stopping these two from getting together and giving us a podcast.

BJ Penn
Who doesn’t love BJ?  The Prodigy has a million stories to tell, and I want to hear them all.  Before I die, I want to visit BJ in Hawaii and train at his gym for a few hours.  But for now, I’ll settle for a few hours of listening to that accent and all that wisdom as he opens up with Joe.

Quinton Jackson
Rampage, the Pride and UFC legend and former champ, had a beef with Joe a while back.  But I believed they “squashed” that.  Rampage has proven in his interviews with Ariel Helwani that he can talk for days and never bore us.  However, I’d love to hear Joe take the conversation into the territories that respectable journalists like Helwani just can’t dare to go.  Rampage is the real deal, has done it all on several continents, and I want to hear him let loose on the JRE.

Who do you want to hear on the JRE?

Please follow me on Twitter to let me know where in the world you are. 

Thanks for reading,
@jackjohnbrown

1/9/13 12:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
slamming
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/09/13 12:36 AM
nvm
1/9/13 12:36 AM
slamming

nvm.
1/9/13 12:47 AM
McGruff The Crime Hog
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
1/9/13 12:49 AM
angryguy
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This will come in handy later Phone Post
1/9/13 12:57 AM
32Hunter

#1 on the wishlist?

Nick Diaz.
1/9/13 1:37 AM
JimmersonzGlove
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joey Odessa is the best interview in MMA. He and Rogan could bullshit for hours and it would be more entertaining that the majority of fighters.

1/9/13 1:38 AM
Team GDP
419 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the london real episode was great. those guys have a solid podcast and have episodes with eddie bravo and roger gracie. apparently the episode today with adam hunter had some mma discussion and they also talked about the ug. 

can't wait for the dana episode of the JRE as well as uncle creepy.

1/9/13 1:39 AM
Team GDP
419 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JimmersonzGlove - 

Joey Odessa is the best interview in MMA. He and Rogan could bullshit for hours and it would be more entertaining that the majority of fighters.

agreed would love the see joey bagels do an episode. would be unlikely as bagels lives in costa rica and joe doesn't often do phone call/skype shows

1/9/13 1:56 AM
MikeHunt36
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - Dana would be nice or the Fertittas but we know that won't happen.
This Phone Post
1/9/13 2:02 AM
intact
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bas Rutten
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/12874240

Mayhem has been on at least 3 times
Here is one http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17563606
1/9/13 2:47 AM
Barbalos

listening to the Barnett episode atm, thanks
1/9/13 2:48 AM
kano350chevy
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
1/9/13 3:06 AM
Tap In
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool, listened to all of those except "london real", will give it a go
1/9/13 3:32 AM
brahmabull81
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subd Phone Post
1/9/13 4:03 AM
Joe Rogan
1179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the suggestions, they're awesome! It looks like I've got Neil DeGrasse Tyson tomorrow!

I'm pretty psyched for that.  Jimmy Smith from Bellator is on next tuesday, and that should be a great one for MMA fans.  I really like that guy, and I have nothing but respect and appreciation for his commentary and MMA knowledge. I would love to get Kenny on sometime soon, and James Thompson and I have talked about doing one when he gets stateside.  I'm still trying to figure out if we could make one work time wise while Enson is in town this month as well.  Great stuff coming! 

1/9/13 4:08 AM
Tap In
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

/\ Good to hear it
1/9/13 4:32 AM
Cojendo
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Rogan -

Thanks for the suggestions, they're awesome! It looks like I've got Neil DeGrasse Tyson tomorrow!

I'm pretty psyched for that.  Jimmy Smith from Bellator is on next tuesday, and that should be a great one for MMA fans.  I really like that guy, and I have nothing but respect and appreciation for his commentary and MMA knowledge. I would love to get Kenny on sometime soon, and James Thompson and I have talked about doing one when he gets stateside.  I'm still trying to figure out if we could make one work time wise while Enson is in town this month as well.  Great stuff coming! 

Awesome about NDT! Keep it up and thanks for making the commercials a bit shorter :) Phone Post
1/9/13 4:50 AM
in_different
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its been great lately Joe. Loving the variety, your publicist seems to be doing a good job. Excited for all the upcoming podcasts.

It'd be nice to get another musician on there. Maybe someone like Eric Rachmany of Rebelution. That would satisfy me for life. You should check out the music and see if its something you would be into. I'd like to throw out Jacob hemphill of SOJA too. I feel like you two have a lot in common and the man has a lot to talk about.

Anyway, thanks. Keep doing what your doing.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vdLIB935tQc
1/9/13 5:23 AM
Karl Olsson
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man this is so good, ive actually been thinking "i wish somone made a list with all the good JRE since i cant be arsed too look through them all".

Many hours at work will go faster. Thanks man.
1/9/13 5:36 AM
Karl Olsson
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And where is Part 1 please?
1/9/13 5:51 AM
Iskalainen
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Karl Olsson - And where is Part 1 please?

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/411179/MMA-Guide-to-the-Joe-Rogan-Experience/

There was a link in OP.
1/9/13 5:54 AM
Jump Kick
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Rogan -

Psyched for ndt, keep up the fantastic work. Phone Post
1/9/13 7:59 AM
Karl Olsson

Iskalainen - 
Karl Olsson - And where is Part 1 please?

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/411179/MMA-Guide-to-the-Joe-Rogan-Experience/

There was a link in OP.

Oh yeah i see that now, a little bit ashamed..

Cheers man.
1/9/13 9:00 AM
QuadAces
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Psyched to hear about NDT and Enson Inoue. I also think Shonie Carter would be a good guest. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.