UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Can Diaz actually use his BJJ on GSP?

1/8/13 11:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TuLegit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will we finally see someone good enough to have a normal grappling match with him? GSP is always so positionally strong we never see him in a closed guard or rubber guard or any bad spot. Can nick do it? I think it'll be like the shields fight. Phone Post
1/8/13 11:51 PM
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The short answer...I do not think so.
1/8/13 11:53 PM
TheGoldenRule
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No. Even if/though diax can/will gain positioning to attempt subs, GSP's bjj alone is good enough to counter most attempts... Add to that his superior strength, and diax stands little chance of subbing him.... Diax has the proverbial punchers chance in this fight. Nothing more... Though it would be most exciting to see he n georges rolling/scrambling for position Phone Post
1/8/13 11:54 PM
TheGoldenRule
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Obviously meant diaz... Not diax Phone Post
1/9/13 1:08 AM
knuckleballs

No.

Not a chance in hell Diaz will have anything on the ground for GSP.

GSP will have lots of elbows and fists for Diaz, though.
1/9/13 1:18 AM
Caught_clean
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think people forget that GSP and Fitch are also BJJ black belts, and thats why people cant do shit to them off their back. There is a lot more to BJJ then working off your back.
1/9/13 1:32 AM
ChaosOverkill
481 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Turkey bag boy -  Vaseline...so no.

Yeah I'm a BJ Penn fan. Phone Post

Wambulance is on the way

1/9/13 1:33 AM
alkysmurf
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I'm a huge Diaz fan boy, but I think the only way nick gets a sub is in a scramble, gsp is positionally to strong and his bjj is pretty solid.

Win or loose I think nick is the best fight for gsp we'll see. Then again I thought the same about nate/bendo.... Phone Post
1/9/13 1:46 AM
Farewell Brock

Turkey bag boy -
ChaosOverkill - 

Wambulance is on the way

Hasn't it been proven that GSP's corner man rubbed vaseline on his body in between rounds? I'm sure he is still trying to find some sort of advantage.

I'm just saying Nick probably won't be able to do much when GSP is slipping out of every sub attempt.
Ya it was proven, that's why it was ruled a NC Phone Post
1/9/13 2:12 AM
flowwiththego
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheGoldenRule - No. Even if/though diax can/will gain positioning to attempt subs, GSP's bjj alone is good enough to counter most attempts... Add to that his superior strength, and diax stands little chance of subbing him.... Diax has the proverbial punchers chance in this fight. Nothing more... Though it would be most exciting to see he n georges rolling/scrambling for position Phone Post
Ahh touché. I for one don't think it will be a punchers chance. It will be an accumulation of damage. Now the key in the fight is, how does GSP handle it. He handles pressure very very well. But his face when punched also shows damage everytime. It will come down to George's decision making after he gets punched and punched. Phone Post
1/9/13 2:24 AM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We just saw GSP have a tough battle on the ground in his last fight. A lotta of that was reverse GNP though and that isnt really Nick's game.

And to answer the thread title, anyone that uses their guard or does anything on the ground is usually using their BJJ.

If GSP attempts to pass but cannot, that's cuz Diaz is using his BJJ.

We saw Condit be the first to sweep GSP when on top but i think that was also due to the volume of Condit's reverse GNP. The thing is that GSP has had trouble getting off any serious offense on the ground of late and Diaz is one of the toughest guys to do anything against on the ground so it could be pretty stale there.
1/9/13 2:28 AM
Blunderhooks
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It will be a repeat of the BJ fight except with easier takedowns for GSP. Phone Post
1/9/13 3:40 AM
Letibleu
1663 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My honest unbiased *cough cough* prediction, TKO doctor stoppage due to cuts and blood in the eyes.

1/9/13 3:58 AM
orcus

"Probably not to get a submission tbh, but he can use it to constantly threaten submissions from weird angles to get the fight stood up."

That's not the way it works. Threatening submissions is not going to get the fight stood up; in fact it will ensure that it stays on the ground. If either guy is doing stuff, it's staying on the ground. If Nick wants to get stood up, he has to just hold on -- keep GSP from doing anything, and not do anything himself.

1/9/13 4:22 AM
Smellde Gluve
577 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure he'll use it but it won't give him the win.

1/9/13 11:00 AM
Mark Hunter
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Diaz' active guard is the one factor that has me most interested for the GSP/Diaz fight. I'm anxious to see how GSP navigates it.
1/9/13 12:08 PM
orcus

nick diaz nut hugger - 
orcus - 

"Probably not to get a submission tbh, but he can use it to constantly threaten submissions from weird angles to get the fight stood up."

That's not the way it works. Threatening submissions is not going to get the fight stood up; in fact it will ensure that it stays on the ground. If either guy is doing stuff, it's staying on the ground. If Nick wants to get stood up, he has to just hold on -- keep GSP from doing anything, and not do anything himself.

That's not what I was thinking in terms of getting the fight stood up. I was thinking in terms of GSP not wanting to engage too closely on the ground because it is too dngerous and too risky to get too close, causing GSP to voluntarily stand up and move back, getting the ref to stand the fight back up because GSP is sick of trying to engage on the ground.

Ah, gotcha. Honestly, I don't see anyone truly threatening GSP with a sub from the bottom. He's way too good a grappler and has way too big a speed/power advantage over his opponents.

1/9/13 12:27 PM
LittleC
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IIRC correctly there WAS a rule change about how vaseline is applied to the fighter. Ironically, its called the "BJ Penn" Rule.
1/9/13 12:40 PM
ortman166

Farewell Brock -
Turkey bag boy -
ChaosOverkill - 

Wambulance is on the way

Hasn't it been proven that GSP's corner man rubbed vaseline on his body in between rounds? I'm sure he is still trying to find some sort of advantage.

I'm just saying Nick probably won't be able to do much when GSP is slipping out of every sub attempt.
Dude.its a fact. Not that I think bj is better then gsp or could beat him. But it most definitely happened Phone Post
1/9/13 12:47 PM
rrg1

ortman166 - 
Farewell Brock -
Turkey bag boy -
ChaosOverkill - 

Wambulance is on the way

Dude.its a fact. Not that I think bj is better then gsp or could beat him. But it most definitely happened Phone Post

Here are some more facts that BJ fans conveniently leave out for some weird reason:

GSP cornerman rubbed some leftover vaseline on GSP. GSP did nothing but try to recupe between the rounds.

The NSAC, who actually know the rules, stepped in, toweled him off and decided that he was within the stated rules. The NSAC continued the fight....

Even IF it was intentional, it was within the NSAC rules at that point in time. If you can not read then that is on you.

1/9/13 1:00 PM
knuckleballs

I am a huge Diaz fan; he may be my favorite fighter today. Sadly, though, i feel he is about to take a life-altering beating by GSP. Let's be honest, he doesn't bring anything to the table to win this fight. Yes, he has great boxing, but he will need to hit GSP clean, say, 50 times, minimum, to stand a shot at winning this. GSP won't let Diaz get off punches like that. He comes in with great game plans, and has a clear advantage in wrestling over Diaz. Diaz is too tough and skilled to get KO'd or TKO'd, but will just be mauled like Fitch was for 5 rounds, but even more so, as GSP truly wants to hurt Nick. I feel like Nick will be changed forever for what happens to him, namely, getting his shit stuffed for 25 minutes in front of the world by the guy he called out.

I hope this doesn't happen.
1/9/13 1:35 PM
kingkoopa

orcus -
nick diaz nut hugger - 
orcus - 

That's not what I was thinking in terms of getting the fight stood up. I was thinking in terms of GSP not wanting to engage too closely on the ground because it is too dngerous and too risky to get too close, causing GSP to voluntarily stand up and move back, getting the ref to stand the fight back up because GSP is sick of trying to engage on the ground.

Ah, gotcha. Honestly, I don't see anyone truly threatening GSP with a sub from the bottom. He's way too good a grappler and has way too big a speed/power advantage over his opponents.

Yup gsp top control is too good.

Diaz out boxed penn but imo Penn's bjj and guard game is better than nicks

Bj had nothing for gsp on the ground Phone Post
1/9/13 4:26 PM
per
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nick diaz nut hugger - 
orcus - 

GSP is not the kind of fighter to stand up from the ground in this matchup. Diaz is a difficult opponent standing or on the ground and GSP is comfortable enough inside the guard of an excellent submission grappler to just do his thing. I see before me a usual GSP performance, crisp striking, shooting at the right time, getting every bloody takedown, hard but smart GnP.

I like Nick as a fighter but GSP is a beast. He is probably too strong and too smart to let Nick fool him into a nice gogoplata or something. Nick's chance is catching him with punches in exchanges, rocking him and making him uncomfortable, taking his fight mind away from him. That can happen, Diaz's grappling will not give him a victory here. But in all honesty, GSP is the complete package and I don't see Diaz beating him. Nick is game as always and brings cheers from the crowd with a couple of sub attempts but is beat down to a 50-45 decision.
1/9/13 4:47 PM
KimuraKing

GSP will dominate the first 3 rounds with takedowns. He will eat shots the whole time closing the distance.
He will slow down in the 4th and Diaz will tear him up on the feet.
Late 4th round/ mid-way 5th round TKO for Diaz.

The world is shocked, a hundred thousands UFC fans girlfriends never watch it again and this board blows up for the next 3 months until the rematch that GSP wins by a decision.
1/9/13 4:57 PM
joe canada
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aside from Hughes' successful armbar, the closest anyone's been to subbing GSP was Karo back at UFC 46.

Since then, the only guy (aside from Hughes) who's even looked like he was close to setting up a sub was Condit, who displayed some phenomenal guard work.

Everyone else -- every one else -- has been completely shut down off their backs by GSP's top game as far as sub attempts go.

What does Diaz bring to the guard game that Penn, Condit, Shields, etc didn't.

Diaz needs to stay off his back as thought it were covered with tacks. Otherwise, GSP's going to take him down and open his brows up with elbows and grinding ground and pound. Round after bloody round.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.