UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> I want to start training mma were to start?

1/9/13 8:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bigbrockfanuk
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to get into it for a hobby not to compete or any thing. But I have confidence issues and can't bring myself to just go on my own. I use to do bjj for about 9 months with a friend but he lost interest so I just stopped going.

Should I just go for it. What happens to new people when they turn up do they get schooled or what? I hate the thought of people laughing at me if I'm doing something wrong.

I just want it to be my thing that I do and not rely on a friend to go. I want to do it before I get to old what do use think? Phone Post
1/9/13 8:36 AM
DMCN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just show up. Be humble. Learn from the schooling. And don't forget to enjoy yourself. Phone Post
1/9/13 9:00 AM
Bigbrockfanuk
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sweatygooch - Where's abouts in the UK are you? Phone Post
I'm from north east near middlesbrough Phone Post
1/9/13 9:03 AM
Bigbrockfanuk

DMCN - Just show up. Be humble. Learn from the schooling. And don't forget to enjoy yourself. Phone Post
I loved bjj when I done if before. I just need to man up an go lol Phone Post
1/9/13 9:13 AM
Bigbrockfanuk

What would use suggest doing if I can't find a mma gym? Muay thy, boxing or kickboxing. The gym that I have in mind is mainly bjj and does wrestling a couple of nites a week. Phone Post
1/9/13 9:29 AM
Bigbrockfanuk

fat referee -
Bigbrockfanuk -  What would use suggest doing if I can't find a mma gym? Muay thy, boxing or kickboxing. The gym that I have in mind is mainly bjj and does wrestling a couple of nites a week. Phone Post

Depends on what you're interested in. It may be tough to find a gym that offers everything at a good price. Some people only like bjj...if you are one of those people maybe the gym you speak of is good for you. If you are more interested in boxing/kickboxing then look into striking gyms.

But the main thing is to look and don't be afraid to walk in the door. Sounds like you are a little nervous checking out a gym on your own which is understandable. A good gym will be very welcoming and will want to make you feel at home, given that you are respectful and want to learn. 

Do your research and don't be afraid to ask questions. If I were you I would check as many places that you would be willing to go as possible so you can compare how the classes are and the gym enviornment (friendly vs arrogant & everyone trying to take each other's head off)

General tip once you pick a place: If you ever feel that you are in a situation in the gym where you are uncomfortable i.e. a sparring partner is going HAM on you, don't be afraid and speak up and say to take it easy, and if he doesn't listen, respectfully stop and don't partner with him. Good sparring partners will only go as hard as you go against them.

Also accept that you will get schooled for the first 6 months to a year at least. The good people will probably school me until eternity :)

Hope this helps.

Yeah that's the main thing going on my own. I use to love rolling at the end of bjj class Evan if I did get schooled because your learning, but my friend couldent take tapping to some 1 all the time he wanted to know what to do straight away. I mainly wanna do bjj but would also like to be able to learn how to strike properly if u no what I mean. Phone Post
1/9/13 9:49 AM
Bigbrockfanuk

Cheers for u help! Phone Post
1/9/13 9:53 AM
Devlin
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ian freeman has a gym in stanley durham which is anout an hour from middlesbourgh, but you could be close and his training is high quality. Phone Post
1/9/13 9:54 AM
Devlin
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

closer* Phone Post
1/9/13 10:08 AM
AyyAnt
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as long as you go in with no ego you should have no problem. Phone Post
1/9/13 10:10 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Whereabouts is Mega Colossus from? Maybe has some contacts...... Phone Post
1/9/13 10:21 AM
A_Butler
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're training at a gym that's worth a shit you won't have to worrying getting schooled until you've shown that you can protect yourself during sparring and have expressed interest in doing so.

If you just want to train and get in shape and learn about the techniques with no competition that shouldn't be a problem. In most gyms the bills are payed by hobbyist that train for physical fitness purposes and just enjoy it. Professionals and competitors are usually in classes separate from the every day guy.

Don't think that all gyms are full of top level MMA competitors just waiting to take someone's head off..... Most are filled with hobbyists and a handful of amateurs and pros. You'll be fine. Just walk in and sign up. Phone Post
1/9/13 11:49 AM
Bigbrockfanuk

Devlin - ian freeman has a gym in stanley durham which is anout an hour from middlesbourgh, but you could be close and his training is high quality. Phone Post
It's about 40 mins I think. Cheers Phone Post
1/9/13 11:54 AM
Bigbrockfanuk

A_Butler - If you're training at a gym that's worth a shit you won't have to worrying getting schooled until you've shown that you can protect yourself during sparring and have expressed interest in doing so.

If you just want to train and get in shape and learn about the techniques with no competition that shouldn't be a problem. In most gyms the bills are payed by hobbyist that train for physical fitness purposes and just enjoy it. Professionals and competitors are usually in classes separate from the every day guy.

Don't think that all gyms are full of top level MMA competitors just waiting to take someone's head off..... Most are filled with hobbyists and a handful of amateurs and pros. You'll be fine. Just walk in and sign up. Phone Post
It's just around my way there is a lot of a holes who think because they have done a few months training they are hard as fuck. a lot of them go to the gyms round here.

I just wanna do it for fun and fitness really not to walk round the streets and ko drunk people on nites out. Phone Post
1/9/13 1:29 PM
FreightTrain

I would recommend you start with your hands ie boxing.

Then develop your sprawl ie take down defense.

Then basic ground off your back: your guard.

1/9/13 2:04 PM
jasonhightower
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are obviously many things to look for in a new gym, one key one would be finding one that has a true "beginner" MMA class so you can create a solid foundation before being tossed to the wolves.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.