UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Can Benson Henderson be the GOAT?

1/9/13 10:07 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The MMA Encyclopedia author Jonathan Snowden profiled Benson Henderson, and asks, can he be the best of all time?

He begins by relating what Henderson did following his win over Nate Diaz in December. Never having had a cigarette or an alcoholic drink, he didn't go on a bender. He didn't go to the beach to heal.

What he did do says a lot about him, maybe everything.

UFC fans near Federal Way, Washington, at least those with a thirst for energy drinks or craving some chips, were potentially in for quite a surprise. At a small convenience store named Peter's Grocery, nestled in a typical American strip mall across the street from a Safeway Grocery store, the UFC champion worked a ten hour shift

Not once.

Five days in a row.

This wasn't a publicity stunt or reality television. This was plain old reality. As tired as Benson was from his months long training camp and 25-minute fight, he knew his mother, Korean immigrant Song Hwa Graves, was tireder still.

"That's what she does every day," Henderson's head trainer John Crouch said. "He worked his mom's shifts at her store so she could take the week off. And she works crazy hours. Even now, she owns this store and goes in and opens up at 6 AM and closes at 11 PM. And that's her shift. Ben gets his work ethic from his momma."

"With Benson it's not about the big splash. Ever. Benson's rise to success hasn't been dramatic. It's been slow and steady. Consistent. Like water pounding on the rock. His secret is that he's always chipping away at it. Always. And the rock is eventually going to break. And he's not too good to keep working."

--

There's the small matter of becoming the best fighter in the whole world, not just in the moment, but ever.

"To be the best fighter of all time I will need to continue to fight the best fighters in the world and win," Henderson said. "I keep saying that I just want to fight the best in the world. I don't care what order they come in, just line them up. In order to win those fights, I'll need to continue to adapt to the changes in MMA and improve each area of my game as each challenge becomes tougher."

Is Anderson Silva's record for title defenses out of the question? His winning streak? The kind of run Georges St-Pierre has enjoyed at welterweight? Henderson isn't the only one who doesn't think it's out of the question his name will be whispered among the best of the bests one day.

"He has a really great spirit and he loves what he does," Crouch said. "Now it's just a matter of doing it over the long term. He's looking to match Anderson Silva's records. so the challenge now is keeping up the quality over time. The way to do that is find joy in what you do every day. That will be the challenge—to be happy with what you're doing, enjoying the process, and continue getting better.

"Make every day as good as you can. And you're always going to get his best. That's a super admirable quality. If you can say that about somebody in your life, that they always give their best? That's a person to hang on to. Do everything with the best effort you can. Everything else takes care of itself. Ben will be there giving it his best every day he does this. That's why I think he has a chance."

Read entire article...

1/9/13 10:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
andyman011
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Right now no. He's not looking better than Aldo Jones Silva or even cain Phone Post
1/9/13 10:44 AM
mofomike
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/9/13 10:45 AM
Body Shots
463 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bendo is a good dude and good champion!!

Can't wait for his next fight!! Phone Post
1/9/13 11:02 AM
Paul_Blanka_Harris

if he really dominates the toughest division in the sport i dont see why not

1/9/13 11:03 AM
Just_Scrap
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe Phone Post
1/9/13 11:04 AM
DreamSTi

Not even close. Dancin Andy takes that title by a long shot.
1/9/13 11:06 AM
BubblesNS
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let the dude gave a goddamn career before we start bestowing GOAT status. BTW the goat is Anderson Silva as he has had enough of a career to show this. Phone Post
1/9/13 11:09 AM
ChaosOverkill
553 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/09/13 11:11 AM

C'mon, I like Benson and he's a beast but he's also guilty on his record for the 'atrocity' GSP is shit on for and often pushed to #3 GOAT.

Benson has more decisions since his last finish and has only had two title defenses in that time where after Serra all have been title defenses for GSP.

Whether you think Benson 'TRIES to finish' more than GSP is not the point. THere are plenty of fighters out there wrestlefucking and looking for easy wins and points decisions who get finishes because their opponent level is mid card and not top of the foodchain.

The GOAT is Silva

Let the downvotes commence.

1/9/13 11:15 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
297 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Henderson is half Clydesdale with those legs say the ladies at BWW.

Unsure of GOAT.

As for Snowden?

How can anyone read anything he churns out?

Snowden wrote the hater-aid articles on Belfort and Bonnar which drew so much heat he had to half-heartedly apologize and remove the posts.

If he would strictly write as a journalist, I'd gladly champion his work but he tries too hard to be a smug, controversial provocateur and that gets in the way and takes away from what he can do.

As a result of his trashing of various fighters under the guise of journalism, I can't say we should rush to read his effusive praise. Phone Post
1/9/13 11:41 AM
TX_432
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judging from comments above nobody read the article except that guy ^^ Phone Post
1/9/13 11:49 AM
kinson

No. Lack of finishes. See Anderson silva. Phone Post
1/9/13 11:49 AM
ChaosOverkill
553 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TX_432 -  Judging from comments above nobody read the article except that guy ^^ Phone Post

Yeah I re-read it after kneejerking. Typical Bleacher guy though, a misleading title to get people to pay attention but in this case it will backfire.

I stand by my extrapolated assesment in terms of people who think Bendo is somehow more of a killer than GSP when the record doesn't show it. They both don't finish lately.

1/9/13 11:51 AM
yellow's Overseer
387 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10 hours 5 days in a row while being a UFC champion? As much as I really REALLY dislike Benson, he has all of my respect. Phone Post
1/9/13 11:56 AM
Archer0545

You can never be considered a GOAT if you've been on the wrong end of a highlight reel off the cage ninja like kick delivered by anthony pettis! Phone Post
1/9/13 12:05 PM
Anthraxxx
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was just gonna bring the "showtime kick" up but then again Anderson did get caught in the crazy heel hook way back when.

Granted Bensons is worse, but they have both had some crazy stuff happen.

IMO Benson is extremely talented and will be champ for a while, however he has been in more close fights and had less insanely dominating performance highlights like Anderson. Not fair to compare the two at the moment.
1/9/13 12:11 PM
Dr Gonzo
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody could be GOAT if they win the title and defend it 15 or 20 times, you need to actually do it though.
1/9/13 12:16 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eh. Sure. I wish we would chill out and slow down on all of the goat talk in mma though. Phone Post
1/9/13 12:19 PM
Tomato Can
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't see it happening, but I guess it's possible. After all, Anderson Silva didn't start his massive undefeated streak until he was like 31.

Still, I don't see how he'll ever surpass Jon Jones, who is already at a higher level than him and is also like 4 years younger.

GOAT LW is more likely, but still not a lock. He's got a ways to go before he reaches BJ/Gomi levels of dominance.
1/9/13 12:22 PM
Obie1FaShobie
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He really loves his mom. That's nice. Phone Post
1/9/13 12:25 PM
gabemadrid
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbing for his hard working Mom I mean that's a good guy from a good family. I'm an instant fan. There are teens who wouldn't do that just because they'd feel embarrassed here you have a UFC champion just being a blue collar dude. Phone Post
1/9/13 12:31 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

Edited: 01/09/13 12:34 PM

i didnt think so when he was back in the wec but his rate of improvement is pretty amazing..he has the brain (half korean), body (half explosive and athletic), drive, intelligence, and ambition to be one of the all time greats...

1/9/13 12:36 PM
Tomato Can
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - 

i didnt think so when he was back in the wec but his rate of improvement is pretty amazing..he has the brain (half korean), body (half explosive and athletic), drive, intelligence, and ambition to be one of the all time greats...

Awesome, his greatness stems from his embodiment of racial stereotypes.
1/9/13 1:18 PM
HandyDarsh
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

id like to see him finish an opponent in the ufc before the talks of GOAT start.

But he is a hard working guy that we can all learn something from, and a dominant champion thus far as well.

1/9/13 1:47 PM
Just_Scrap
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gabemadrid - Subbing for his hard working Mom I mean that's a good guy from a good family. I'm an instant fan. There are teens who wouldn't do that just because they'd feel embarrassed here you have a UFC champion just being a blue collar dude. Phone Post
No shit man... Nothing but respect for this guy. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.