UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Marcelo Garcia Academy

1/9/13 11:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
delicious bass
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The new academy is up an running and we have even added more classes. We're located at 250 W 26th street (3rd floor). If anyone has any questions I will try my beat to answer them on this thread. Thanks,
Paul Phone Post
1/9/13 11:07 AM
delicious bass
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

best. iPhone. Phone Post
1/9/13 11:27 AM
Hugh Jaynus
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fucking iPhone!

But seriously, I can't wait to visit again. I was up there in late September for a couple days when you were still at the Chelsea Piers and it was great.
1/9/13 12:33 PM
chickenscratch
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paul, is it "delicious bass" as in sweet deep thumping sounds or "delicious bass" as in a tasty fish?
1/9/13 1:25 PM
Muffinho
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are drop in fees the same as they used to be for Alliance members (at the old facility)?
1/9/13 2:32 PM
delicious bass

Delicious bass as in the fish as in Napoleon dynamite.

Yes Phone Post
1/9/13 10:49 PM
PayItForward
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.marcelogarciajj.com/nyc/
1/10/13 1:07 PM
Jweinberg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/10/13 1:09 PM
Photobucket

TTT!

http://www.marcelogarciajj.com/schedule.html

1/10/13 1:41 PM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dammit that's an awesome schedule. 

1/10/13 3:20 PM
SBJJSean
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How do you get a private scheduled to roll with Marcelo? I have called and left messages 2 or 3 times over the past year but no one got back to me. Amazing that for 300 bucks for an hour I can't even get a call back. Not saying that sarcastically just guess he must be real busy to be ignoring cash like that knocking at the door. I am willing to wait and schedule as far in advance as need be. Let me know.
1/10/13 3:35 PM
mrgoodarmbar
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice.. What's the requirements for the "expert" class. Did you have to win the mundials?
1/10/13 3:54 PM
chickenscratch
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would also like to know if "executive" is a euphemism for "old fogeys."
1/10/13 4:00 PM
kying418
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/10/13 4:00 PM

Expert class = Mutiple Black Belt Mundial winner.

Usually, it's just Marcelo shadow rolling with himself.

1/10/13 4:02 PM
kying418
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dont let the old guys fool you. Even the old white belts at Marcelo roll with high intensity.

Everytime I visit, I get "culture" shock for my first few days, as I'm not used to rolling at the intensity of 90% of Marcelo's students.
1/10/13 4:24 PM
mrgoodarmbar
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol... I think he should rename the "expert" class to something Spaceballsy like "ludicrous level"!
1/10/13 4:38 PM
delicious bass

Marcelo actually isn't really doing private lessons anymore - his focus is 100% on the school. If you come take a class though, more than likely you will get to roll with him. Phone Post
1/10/13 9:28 PM
Marcelo'sChoke
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/10/13 9:30 PM
1/11/13 1:09 AM
Jweinberg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SBJJSean - How do you get a private scheduled to roll with Marcelo? I have called and left messages 2 or 3 times over the past year but no one got back to me. Amazing that for 300 bucks for an hour I can't even get a call back. Not saying that sarcastically just guess he must be real busy to be ignoring cash like that knocking at the door. I am willing to wait and schedule as far in advance as need be. Let me know.

just come down and roll.  So many great guys to learn from, and you will get a chance to roll with Marcelo regardless.

1/11/13 9:10 AM
onyx2002

Not that Delicious Bass would admit to it but I have heard that a private with him is incredible. Having a native English speaker breakdown Marcelo's concepts and techniques is very enlightening. If you are a MGinaction member and see some of the really great discussion he and Marcelo have over very small portions of technique you know he is trying to understand the game at a molecular level.
1/11/13 9:23 AM
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good for him

1/11/13 10:44 AM
djsolar36
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a student of Paul's, I can attest that everything Onyx says is true and more. Paul is one of the most technical and intelligent guys I've ever met and has a way of explaining things that goes beyond the simple "put your one hand here and your foot here." Instead, he breaks down the technique to the conceptual level, giving you an insight that you can carry through and apply to many other techniques.

Any time I've asked him for advice or feedback on a position, his criticism and explanations have helped me to actually understand the position. He's great at explaining WHY you should be doing something rather than just how you should be doing something. For me, that's helped my game immensely, as I've began to understand jiujitsu beyond just simple muscle memorization. Paul opened my eyes to how techniques relate and how the same idea behind say a butterfly sweep can be applied to a dozen other seemingly unrelated positions. Maybe I'm just a half an idiot (which I probably am), but the notion of leverage and how it applies to everything you do in jiujitsu was always such a difficult concept for me to wrap my head around before Paul's explanations.

Training with Marcelo is great and truly is a unique experience, but I wouldn't sleep on Paul. If he is available for privates and you've got the time, take the chance to pick the brain of one of the most analytical guys in BJJ.
1/11/13 11:12 AM
Mister Crabs
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not a student of Paul's (though if given the opportunity, I would be). I have, however, taken a couple of privates with him as well as a seminar. I'm a brown belt and have done multiple privates and seminars with big names. I am also a huge fan of MG in Action.

In my opinion, Paul teaches better than just about anyone I can think of, including, dare I say it, Marcelo himself. If you are out there and interested in privates and you don't take one with Paul, you are missing the boat.
1/11/13 11:29 AM
SBJJSean
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like I need to PM Paul.
1/11/13 12:05 PM
shermbe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and to make the best schedule even better:
-Morning classes being added 5 days a week.
-5pm drilling class mon/wed also being added.

no excuse not to train!
1/11/13 1:25 PM
JCASHDAKID
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paul how can I get my swag to your levels? Like I wake up in the morning and I turn my swag on but I don't think it's enough I need to get my swag on some next level swagdon. Nope but MGANYC is the best group of training partners, family and friends a dude can ask for. Paul,MG,Tati,Henrique all great people def come down and train. WOOOP YOLO

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.