UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Your "Barely MMA Fan" Buddies

1/9/13 11:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sofa King Cool
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who else has these? I usually order the bigger fight PPVs and invite a few friends over. There are maybe two other guys who keep up with the sport as much as I do, while the rest just come over to watch the fights and generally have no idea what's going on.

I have a friend (who is 5'9", 190, in terrible conditioning) who is convinced that he could beat up Urijah Faber or any other small fighter in a fight. He is positive he could take them.

I have another friend who still believes many of the fights are fixed and that MMA is like a new breed of pro wrestling. He once claimed "It's real like ECW was back in the day, they really fight but know the outcome".

Early on, there were always the guys who would call the sport gay when it hit the ground. Even now the gay jokes come when awkward positions or North/South arise.

Who else has barely fan friends? The guys that think Chuck or Forrest could dominate Anderson Silva or Jon Jones? Phone Post
1/9/13 11:24 AM
RickStorm
1514 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/09/13 11:25 AM
Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

All my friends are on the UG and are pretty knowledgeable (serious and yes i know them irl)

The rest of my friends are race car drivers and have no interest in mma

1/9/13 11:31 AM
DeuceDroppin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nope..can't really say that I have any of these that I watch the fights with! I've had this randomly come up, but I refuse to watch fights with people like that, so it is not an issue. Phone Post
1/9/13 11:34 AM
Masakyst
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's up to you to educate those guys and make them better fans. I've turned more than one casual viewer into a hardcore just through my own passion.
1/9/13 11:34 AM
CLINT NJHC
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I avoid watching fights with those friends (which is most of them), too annoying. My girl knows more than 9/10 of them.
1/9/13 11:35 AM
TheCrow13
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a roomate who would spend the entire time on his computer instead of watching the fights then get mad when i wouldnt tell him what was happening. He tranes MMA but isnt the biggest fan of watching it.

I have a brother who will go with me to some of the bar ppvs and try his best to be informed, but doesnt really watch it unless i drag him

I have a girlfriend who knows almost 80% of the fighters and openly thanks me for not like a boring sport like football or basketball

I have a buddy who just got out of the airforce and has absolutly zero intrest in the sport, yet if i get him a six pack he will sit there with me the whole night and watch the fights

I bestfriend growing up is a diehard mma fan, we call eachother every week or so and talk about MMA. It really is the glue that holds our frenship together after all these years

And then theres me. MMA is my favorite sport on this earth. I follow any promotion i can watch. I love it and cant really say I met anyone that loves it as much as me. And you know what? Im thankfull to have all the "Barely MMA fan" buddies. They dont have to love it like I do, but it means a lot that they will atleast sit by you and try to make comments to impress you.

1/9/13 11:36 AM
KZTT_FawkingxD
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Friends thought Tito was undefeated lol

But I have a group of friends that go every fight with me but they have no idea whose who or whose fighting. Phone Post
1/9/13 11:36 AM
yellow's Overseer
263 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have them, and I hate being around them. "I don't know any of these guys in these fights so I won't watch them". "Black guy wins this one easy". "Dude that guy is so much more built than the other guy, he's gonna lose."

Just a bunch of shit Phone Post
1/9/13 11:38 AM
SHOGUN250
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a couple friends who specifically only like ONE certain fighter. Not only that, they don't even really watch that fighter, they'll just get updates through me about how they're doing. for instance I have one buddy who absolutely loves JBJ, but if I were to go up to him today and ask him how he thought his last fight was, he'd say something like "oh he absolutely beat the crap out of rampage/shogun/some non-relevant fight from 2 years ago, that was awesome!"
1/9/13 11:44 AM
yellow's Overseer
263 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joshua J King - " bro,Urjiah is gonna ragdoll this Brazilian kid..Aldo".

Most satisfying $30 I ever won. Phone Post
I enjoyed the same thing with Cruz and Faber Phone Post
1/9/13 11:45 AM
seabass rutten
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i've a friend who bases his favourite fighter depending who he's good with in the ufc video game

his favourite fighters are:
lyoto
jim miller
and......fitch Phone Post
1/9/13 11:47 AM
TX_432
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Was that guys name Wonderful Silver"?
*spits beer* Phone Post
1/9/13 11:48 AM
KZTT_FawkingxD
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RobinVanRooney -
SHOGUN250 - I have a couple friends who specifically only like ONE certain fighter. Not only that, they don't even really watch that fighter, they'll just get updates through me about how they're doing. for instance I have one buddy who absolutely loves JBJ, but if I were to go up to him today and ask him how he thought his last fight was, he'd say something like "oh he absolutely beat the crap out of rampage/shogun/some non-relevant fight from 2 years ago, that was awesome!"
Honestly this is EXACTLY the same as one of my friends who likes bones, creepy really. Phone Post
Friend told me bones has the best striking technique and its perfect kickboxing lol and that he was a multi year NCAA champ. Phone Post
1/9/13 12:09 PM
Anthraxxx
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have friends that think I am talking about Anderson Silva whenever they hear the last name Silva.
1/9/13 12:20 PM
SonnendbySilva
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who's that black bloke who kicked that other bloke in the face? Phone Post
1/9/13 12:26 PM
LittleJoeMama
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, all of my casual UFC fans say the same things.

"UFC is like pro wrestling now."

"LOL @ the nicknames!"

"This is gay!"

"This is boring."

"Lets watch something else."

"I've been pronouncing Vanderlai with a V but it's spelled with a W, I'm so stupid!"

1/9/13 12:29 PM
meth wizard
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The worst is when these types will argue with you and don't even know the names of the fighters he's arguing with you about. Perfect example, Anderson vs Forrest. I tried to hold my tongue when this guy kept telling me "this white guy is gonna smash him." The second the fight ended he was convinced it was fixed. Phone Post
1/9/13 12:32 PM
Golden Boy
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never understood how fans take pride in being a bigger fan than someone else.
1/9/13 12:41 PM
Captfireeyes
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I work with a guy who watches every ppv event with his friends and I still can't have an intelligent conversation about mma with him. He says him and his friends just buy the ppv's to see guys get knocked out. Phone Post
1/9/13 12:54 PM
RickStorm
1514 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
TX_432 -  "Was that guys name Wonderful Silver"?
*spits beer* Phone Post

LOL

*spits nicotine gum off monitor, hits the keybboard, bounces off picture of gf and lands on coffee cup*

1/9/13 12:55 PM
Golden Boy
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joshua J King - 
Golden Boy - I've never understood how fans take pride in being a bigger fan than someone else.
Ehh I agree but I dont unnastan people who act like experts but dot have a clue. Phone Post

That's 98% of this forum
1/9/13 1:01 PM
da Vinci 81
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most of my friends don't watch it or only occasionally if a big name is fighting. I have one who will watch most fights with me but thankfully doesn't act like he's an expert at all. Just asks who's fighting and if it's a good card or not.

Funny enough my dad is more interested and knowledgeable about the sport than any of my friends. Phone Post
1/9/13 1:13 PM
MrMead
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a friend who is a die hard fan. Both of us started watching MMA when another friend showed us some old videos and then watched the Pride Grand Prix on PPV. To this day he calls Vitor, Victor Belfast and he is being serious.
1/9/13 1:21 PM
TX_432
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStorm -
TX_432 -  "Was that guys name Wonderful Silver"?
*spits beer* Phone Post

LOL

*spits nicotine gum off monitor, hits the keybboard, bounces off picture of gf and lands on coffee cup*

Lol I like the John Madden break down Phone Post
1/9/13 1:22 PM
AllAmericanBoxing
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have had many WTF moments when talking to my buddies about mma lol. "I can't wait until Kimbo smashes Lesnar for the belt!" uhh neither of them have Bren in the ufc for awhile haha! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.