UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rebney: 'Key misunderstanding' with Alvarez

1/9/13 1:35 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"The reality of the situation is Eddie and I had a really good working relationship for four years. I would hazard to even say we had a good friendship going for a lot of years. The last couple weeks have not been the highlight, the high water mark of that relationship. We entered into a contract with Eddie. In that contract, just like in the UFC deal, there's what's called a matching provision and what that means is when the contract comes to an end, you've got the right as the promoter that had the contract with the fighter to match it. What that requires is that you match all the material terms of the deal.

If Eddie had been presented with a Hector Lombard type of deal, I told Eddie after his fight with us where he knocked out Patricky Pitbull, he and I sat and had a drink, spent some time together after the fight. I said, 'Look, dude. If you get a Hector deal, I'm just gonna wish you the best of luck, I'm gonna be your big fan and I'm gonna root for ya and I'll just let you go. I'm not gonna match that deal because I don't think we can monetize that deal.'

I didn't anticipate that the UFC would come in where they came in. They came in at a dollar figure in terms of the $250,000 signing bonus and the $70,000 plus $70,000 and some of the terms that we felt very comfortable matching. To avoid any questioning, to avoid any conflict, we literally took the UFC contract, took it out of a PDF format and we changed the UFC name to Bellator and we signed it and we sent it back to Ed.

Our anticipation was that would be the end of it, we would move forward and we would start looking to schedule Eddie in some great fights and start rocking and rolling from there. As you know, there's been some disagreement on it and Ed's a very smart guy and a good guy. I remain extremely hopeful that we're gonna work it out, remain extremely hopeful that we're gonna be able to put the argument aside and make it work and promote the heck out of it on Spike Network, do huge events with him and conceptually even get a Michael Chandler-Eddie Alvarez rematch. We'll see where it goes."

read entire article...

1/9/13 1:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BOMDC
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In before said ugliness.
1/9/13 1:39 PM
Matrixkick
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is Lombard making?! Phone Post
1/9/13 1:41 PM
DWTF
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow. way to shoot yourself in the foot dude
1/9/13 1:41 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

Edited: 01/09/13 1:41 PM

this is the important part of the piece..the primary dispute among the parties

"The way that it would work is this: When you look at these contracts, what we are obligated to do, as per our matching rights just like what the UFC is obligated to do with their matching rights is you have to match any element of the contract that is guaranteed. So if the UFC says they're gonna give Eddie Alvarez a $250,000 signing bonus and they say, 'This is when the signing bonus will be paid,' we have to do the same. If the UFC says, 'We're gonna pay you $70,000 to show and $70,000 to win, provided you are declared the winner of the bout by the applicable athletic commission blah, blah, blah,' we have to provide that exact same opportunity for Ed.

So that's the essence of what the matching is. There is no guarantee of pay-per-view in any way, shape or form in the agreement that was sent by the UFC. We're held to the level of having to match a guarantee. We're not held to a level of having to guarantee or having to match what was projected or what might happen. I think that's the key misunderstanding. It's not a matter of what could or might happen, it's a matter of what's guaranteed under the contract and that's clearly understood and clearly the way it's written."

1/9/13 1:44 PM
PartsGuy
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"They came in at a dollar figure in terms of the $250,000 signing bonus and the $70,000 plus $70,000 and some of the terms that we felt very comfortable matching."

What does he mean by some of the terms? Just parts of it?
1/9/13 1:45 PM

PartsGuy - "They came in at a dollar figure in terms of the $250,000 signing bonus and the $70,000 plus $70,000 and some of the terms that we felt very comfortable matching."

What does he mean by some of the terms? Just parts of it?

maybe they werent so comfortable with other terms, but sounds like they matched everything word for word anyways

1/9/13 1:46 PM
da Vinci 81
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So it sounds like since they matched the ufc's offer Eddie is legally (according to rebney) obligated to sign it? Or can he reject both offers and simply wait out the matching period and sign with whoever he wants after that? Phone Post
1/9/13 1:46 PM
herwil10
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matrixkick -  What is Lombard making?! Phone Post

Lombard got a $400,000 signing bonus,$300,000 purse per fight and pay-per-view points...
1/9/13 1:50 PM
Matrixkick
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

herwil10 -

Lombard got a $400,000 signing bonus,$300,000 purse per fight and pay-per-view points...
Got damn! Hector's making it rain! Phone Post
1/9/13 1:51 PM
ocdacc
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in Phone Post
1/9/13 1:51 PM
Chris27

It seems like the UFC fucked up by not guaranteeing PPV spots, seems like he can make PPV money if he headlines a PPV but its not guaranteed.

Bellator says they can do the same, if we do a PPV you can get points, they dont have to though just like the UFC doesnt have to put Eddie on PPV main events.

If the UFC said you will get guaranteed PPV slots and points Bellator couldnt match that but since it seems the UFC didnt do that Bellator might win this.

1/9/13 1:54 PM
Letibleu
1716 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rebney still dancing around the intangibles

1/9/13 2:05 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 01/09/13 2:05 PM

he's essnetially saying that they matched the down side of the deal but not the upside.

1/9/13 2:11 PM

Edited: 01/09/13 2:12 PM
MMALOGIC - 

he's essnetially saying that they matched the down side of the deal but not the upside.

no, hes saying they matched the terms of the deal they were required to match

1/9/13 2:12 PM
Ramon Maroni

herwil10 - 

Source?

I find it hard to believe he is making 300K per fight plus ppv revnue
1/9/13 2:12 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eddie got low balled and they gave Bellator the ability to match, end of story
1/9/13 2:15 PM
epwar
541 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let Eddie bang, bro!

1/9/13 2:22 PM
Chris27

liquidrob - Eddie got low balled and they gave Bellator the ability to match, end of story

low balled? How do you figure?

250k, possible 140k a fight and PPV money for a LW that isnt even champion of Bellator, dont see how thats a lowball offer.

yes its not a Lombard deal but Lombard is a MW, was a champ, had a huge win streak and was brought in when the MW div didnt really have contenders, Bisping wasnt ready and Weidman hadnt established himself as a contender yet so Lombard was brought in to fight Silva right away.

LW is a deeper div and nobody below WW makes huge money.
1/9/13 2:23 PM
OuTkAsTTTTT69

The thing I take from reading these articles is that Eddie would gain more from just being in the UFC.. not necessarily just the money but being in the promotion. They matched sure, but are they gonna match the exposure and marketing of the UFC? No Phone Post
MMALOGIC

Chris27 - It seems like the UFC fucked up by not guaranteeing PPV spots, seems like he can make PPV money if he headlines a PPV but its not guaranteed.

Bellator says they can do the same, if we do a PPV you can get points, they dont have to though just like the UFC doesnt have to put Eddie on PPV main events.

If the UFC said you will get guaranteed PPV slots and points Bellator couldnt match that but since it seems the UFC didnt do that Bellator might win this.

the thing is even if they gaurantee a ppv slot and points, bellator could match it.  bellator can put on a ppv and give eddie the same amount of points... the problem is that the ppv would pull like 20k buys so the points and ppv slot would be worthless.

but technically the term of the deal would be matched.

ppv slots and points is not the biggest challenge for belltor in matching... it's the signing bonus, show money, win money and any other payments for sponsorships with UFC apperal, appearances as an analyst on UFC programming, etc...

the gauranteed money is the challenge for bellator.

I think Zuffa structured the deal like this on purpose.  They were baiting bellator and they took the bait.  This was a clear sign to everyone on bellators roster or anyone thinking of signing with bellator, and any coach, manager that they'll be stuck there even after their 4 year deals.... which severely limits their upside.

this is the supply side.  you also have the bad PR with fan bakclash which is the demand side.  I think Zuffa baited them and they took the bait.

Zuffa could have easily taken the points out and said everytime you fight for a title you get 500k dollars.

Bellator could not monetize that because the only way eddie is worth the 250k signing bonus and 70+70 to bellator is if he's fighting chandler ie: for the title which would add 500k more to his purse.

herwil10
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ramon Maroni - 
herwil10 - 

Source?

I find it hard to believe he is making 300K per fight plus ppv revnue

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/10/27/3561868/bellator-set-to-expedite-eddie-alvarezs-free-agency-decision

"Rebney said that contract, which according to him paid Lombard a $400,000 signing bonus, a $300,000 starting purse per fight and pay-per-view participation points, was cost-prohibitive from Bellator's standpoint."
1/9/13 2:43 PM
BenStillerFaggot420

Just sign Aoki instead. Phone Post
1/9/13 2:48 PM

OuTkAsTTTTT69 -  The thing I take from reading these articles is that Eddie would gain more from just being in the UFC.. not necessarily just the money but being in the promotion. They matched sure, but are they gonna match the exposure and marketing of the UFC? No Phone Post

he shoulda thought of that when he chose bellator over the ufc

1/9/13 2:55 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 - 
liquidrob - Eddie got low balled and they gave Bellator the ability to match, end of story

low balled? How do you figure?

250k, possible 140k a fight and PPV money for a LW that isnt even champion of Bellator, dont see how thats a lowball offer.

yes its not a Lombard deal but Lombard is a MW, was a champ, had a huge win streak and was brought in when the MW div didnt really have contenders, Bisping wasnt ready and Weidman hadnt established himself as a contender yet so Lombard was brought in to fight Silva right away.

LW is a deeper div and nobody below WW makes huge money.

I stand by my low ball comment

Eddie has better wins than Lombard, he wasn't the champ but came off two huge KOs, with one being over Aoki, this was a free agent signing, Lombard got much much more, Bellator matched easily, the UFC rather pay guys with KO money and a new car like its a game show

If they wanted Eddie they could have gotten him with a better offer

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.