UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> "Pure MMA" in Nanaimo, British Columbia?

1/9/13 4:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kellboy69
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Y'all...

I'm potentially moving to Nanaimo, BC this year, and I'm wondering if anyone has any sort of comments or criticisms of the only MMA gym in town, Pure Fitness MMA. I've been training at Universal Martial arts in Vancouver (Home to the current Battlefield Fight League middleweight, welterweight, and bantamweight champions) for the past 2 years. They have a great program, lots of class times and open mat times, great class sizes, decent rates, and lots of knowledgeable trainers and one on one attention. I'm wondering how Pure MMA stacks up in comparison as I train 5-6 days a week (BJJ and muay thai) and am considering eventually competing in BJJ and/or MMA. If the quality just isn't there I would consider moving to Victoria instead and going to Island MMA or ZUMA (would love to hear a comparison of these two as well), as I know their reputation as world class gyms.
1/12/13 2:35 AM
tripleguardpull
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/18/13 8:58 AM
This post was originally a bunch of slander but I have removed it, my apologies to Robert.
1/31/13 6:26 PM
ReignFullContact

Edited: 01/31/13 11:38 PM
Dispite your personal issues with Rob at Island Top Team (whatever internal PSD related reasoning you have) Rob is a great guy with a solid black belt from ATT. Good enough to have most of the Pure Fitness students follow him when he left, which is why I presume you feel the need to bash. I rarely take sides, but being in Martial arts as both student and teacher for 18 yrs I know how hard it is to maintain a school and be disciplined enough to teach day in and day out. So hearing a slanderous comment based on the "vibe" you got is poor form. Especially when your directing somebody looking for the best training. In this case I strongly believe Rob is the most qualified in Nanaimo for what he's looking for. I'm personal friends with John punt and everybody at impact. They train hard and win belts. however its not a bjj club. Pure is a great gym no doubt, run by a legit Blue belt. Just not the same level as Rob. I think if your after the best training, go see both school and meet Rob for yourself and see if the "Vibe" is right. The potential for growth should be your main concern.
2/1/13 12:38 AM
John Cooper

Edited: 02/01/13 12:40 AM
Well Said ReignFullContact,

There are some great options for martial arts in Nanaimo. If you are looking for high level expertise in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (Gi & No Gi) then go see Rob Biernacki at Island Top Team (http://islandtopteam.com)

Grappling Ability is one thing, the ability to communicate and transfer ones own ability to others is a skill that is hard to find. Rob has that.

Good Article here:

http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html?id=2b7280d1-247d-460e-95cd-5bb80918bd77&p=2

Intro Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ADcnGZK0RbJbOpuiJ9yXQ

Great addition to the Central Vancouver Island Martial Arts Community.<br />
2/3/13 2:09 AM
tripleguardpull
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/18/13 8:58 AM
This post was originally a bunch of slander but I have removed it, my apologies to Robert.
2/3/13 9:30 PM
ReignFullContact

It's truly a shame when public forums like this one are used to undermine the hard work of others based on a club grudge. Both sides / clubs have great attributes. Personal vadettas should be solved face to face and not on displayed on public forums to blindside someone's character and in this case, source of income.

This really isn't my place to say, but since Rob isn't stooping to this level of banter, I thought I'd share my thoughts as an outsider looking in. Knowing the story behind the departure it was easy to see what was going on here.
2/5/13 2:15 AM
OntarioTopTeam

This thread was brought to my attention,and i actually made an account so i could get on here and reply.Reading some of the comments i felt there was definitley an agenda to slander a name rather than answer the original question of where was there a quality place to train in that area.If you havent trained with Professor Robert Biernaki a qualified ATT Black Belt under Charles McCarthy another amazing ATT black Belt under Master Ricardo Liborio please give it one visit and you will say no more.Bob is my friend,and is one of the most well rounded martial artist in general.His ability to transfer knowlege is a gift few have in the sense of how quickly he translates so many techniques into simple concepts that anyone can remember.His grasp of jiu jitsu with and without a gi is equal.I believe as some higher level BJJ guys have revealed,they love the slick,fast past nogi game,yet pay homage to the learning and teaching curve that can only come from GI.Every instructor has their favorite area in jiu jitsu.I am Professor Roberts brown belt in Ontario.My students and i are very happy with the results of our rolling adventures with other schools in Gi and No gi.The techniques and concepts are based on a strong fundamental structure.You may want a fast paced 3 minute video with 10 techniques,and so when you watch Professor Roberts conceptual approach your not "shazamed with berimbolo nuclear infused moves".He teaches by concepts;so the average youtube surfer may be bored.....Let me tell you,when he visited last time and found a heel hook from every conceivable position,and tied it all together with a simple concept,a structured position-my students were using it safely and effectivly in free rolling(with supervision),with great success.I have been able to apply Bob's conceptual approach to tighten up my game.I have Pan Am Black belt champions,Brown Belt absolute champions visit,and they have no answer to some of the moves i play based on professor Roberts jiu jitsu playbook.With and without the Gi,this man is a great martial artist,a great grappler,and a fantastic Black belt product coming out of the American Top Team Camp.You can watch the youtube video's of his heel hook seminar he held at my schoolhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9vkAy41M68

I look forward to having him back in March,so many students are counting the days.You dont fly in a guy for a week to train if he is no good.You fly him in because he is special.This man is humble,a scholar,a thinker and a fantastic humnan being.Am i biased-absolutley.I have had the distinct honor of training with him for several years now.One of my good friends is a purple belt under him and i,and is even now spending two weeks out in BC training with him.Again..would a guy in Ontario fly all the way to BC island to train with a guy that was just okay??No way.He is the real deal.His jiu jitsu is off the hook.

Peace and Love/Strength and Honor

Samir Sandman Seif

7/30/13 1:56 PM
HandyDarsh
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub

8/24/13 2:46 AM
ROFL

the bjj scene in bc is like an episode of the hills.
10/11/13 5:44 PM
CalMcD

I joined Island Top Team 3 months ago after moving to Nanaimo from Ottawa; where I trained Muay Thai and BJJ for about 2.5 years. This thread had me question ITT’s head instructor before attempting the class- I’m incredibly glad I ignored the above comments and gave it a shot for myself. The instruction is legitimately world class, not only is Rob a legit black belt but he is elite in his ability to translate his understanding of BJJ to new and experienced practitioners. He has travelled to learn from many of the best and has a clear passion for teaching the art. I feel privileged to have this level of instruction while I live in Nanaimo. I don’t generally participate in online disagreements but this affected me while searching for a club so I wanted to contribute to the positive comments regarding Island Top Team and head instructor Rob Biernaki.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.