UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gurgel on UFC: Win in, Lost Out

1/9/13 5:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bearockbrobama
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Note: I wonder if this is for all fights?

The stakes are clearly laid out for the fighters competing this weekend at "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine," according to Jorge Gurgel.

"The winners go back to the UFC, and the losers get released, just like that," the veteran told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

For Gurgel (14-8 MMA, 2-3 SF), who meets promotional newcomer and fellow lightweight Adriano Martins (23-6 MMA, 0-0 SF) at Chesapeake Energy Center in Oklahoma City, that means returning to a promotion that released him five years ago.

"Come ready because I'm angry," Gurgel offered to his fellow Brazilian. "You never fought in America before. I'm going to give you a nice welcome to the U.S.A., brother."

Following a 1-3 stretch inside the octagon, "The Ultimate Fighter 2" veteran was given his walking papers. Seven months later, he was back in the cage when Strikeforce signed him to a multi-fight agreement.

Gurgel continued to slide with a 1-2 record in his new home, but his time with UFC parent company Zuffa would not be over. In March 2011, he again became a Zuffa fighter (under a different corporate name) when the company purchased Strikeforce.

The Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt is 1-1 under new management, so he'll leave the cage on Saturday with a winning or losing record. Gurgel and Martins meet in an untelevised preliminary-card bout prior to the Showtime and Showtime Extreme broadcasts.

Gurgel originally was scheduled to fight DEEP champion Mizuto Hirota on Sept. 29, but the Strikeforce event was canceled, and officials ultimately scrapped the matchup rather than rebook it.

With one shot left to prove his worth, Martins, who fights a one-off with the soon-to-expire promotion, is the planned recipient of Gurgel's aggression.

"Let's put it this way: I'm going to do anything in my power to leave him unconscious on the mat," he said. Phone Post
1/9/13 5:49 PM
yellow wrkahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/9/13 5:58 PM
BenBJJ
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My favorite fighter of all time! Always stands and wangs!
1/9/13 6:04 PM
Rear Naked Chode
430 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please submit him, please.
1/9/13 6:06 PM
Smellde Gluve
596 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No standin' wang, mang. Use yo jits!

1/9/13 6:09 PM
FunkMasterJoe
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would love to see him use his ground game in this fight. Hard to believe he's been out of the UFC so long now, time flies. Phone Post
1/9/13 6:13 PM
BenBJJ
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep it standing! Wang!
1/9/13 6:38 PM
TheHebrewHammer
358 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Fury - Let him Wang, Bro!
I will let you wang bro Phone Post
1/9/13 6:44 PM
Kostakio
492 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hahaha Phone Post
1/9/13 6:50 PM
Smellde Gluve
596 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No George, NO WANG! ONLY JITS-THANG!

1/9/13 6:51 PM
Animal Chin
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Over/under on how many times we hear, "he's one of the best in the world on the ground but likes to strike because it's more exciting for the fans!"?
1/9/13 6:56 PM
BenBJJ

Edited: 01/09/13 6:57 PM
I prefer when he is WANGING!! Its way more exiting!
1/9/13 7:03 PM
Animal Chin
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BenBJJ - I prefer when he is WANGING!! Its way more exiting!

But as he's getting worked over wanging they'll be sure to point out how good he is on the ground.

I'll set the over/under at eleventy kabillion.
1/9/13 7:05 PM
quick
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This whole threat of not making it to the UFC if you don't win sounds like a recipe for a crappy event. I hope I am wrong though.
1/9/13 7:31 PM
bearockbrobama
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

quick - This whole threat of not making it to the UFC if you don't win sounds like a recipe for a crappy event. I hope I am wrong though.
I think that's why most of the the fights seem like mismatches. Phone Post
1/9/13 7:37 PM
Doc T
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is awesome. Phone Post
1/10/13 12:58 AM
AZKIEL
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you guys are making BJ cry
1/10/13 1:01 AM
dermotfix
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To wang would be wong.

1/10/13 1:03 AM
dogfb
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So if Jacare loses to Ed Herman... He doesn't get a contract?

What if Ed loses?

1/10/13 1:04 AM
BenBJJ

Wangfest!!
1/10/13 1:32 AM
KevinMcAllister
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Come ready because I'm angry," Gurgel offered to his fellow Brazilian. "You never fought in America before. I'm going to give you a nice welcome to the U.S.A., brother."

He went full Hulkamania right here. Phone Post
1/10/13 1:36 AM
The Last Emperor
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KevinMcAllister -  "Come ready because I'm angry," Gurgel offered to his fellow Brazilian. "You never fought in America before. I'm going to give you a nice welcome to the U.S.A., brother."

He went full Hulkamania right here. Phone Post

Lol, if I could, I'd VTFU!
1/10/13 3:24 AM
atlantis_ninjah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The reason Jorge Gurgel doesnt use his BJJ isnt because he chooses not to, its because he CANT, he doesn't have any wrestling to have the ability to use his BJJ. Hopefully this can gets cut even if he wins his fight
1/10/13 3:30 AM
yellow wrkahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dogfb - 

So if Jacare loses to Ed Herman... He doesn't get a contract?

What if Ed loses?

Jacare's coming to the UFC, win or lose:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/1/4/3838026/jacare-souza-signs-new-five-fight-contract-with-forza

Ed is currently 3-0-1 in his last four, so I'm absolutely positive he comes back to the UFC, as well. Besides, he stepped up for the UFC by taking a fight in Strikeforce, so he's basically in their good graces.

1/10/13 7:08 AM
fna
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

atlantis_ninjah - The reason Jorge Gurgel doesnt use his BJJ isnt because he chooses not to, its because he CANT, he doesn't have any wrestling to have the ability to use his BJJ. Hopefully this can gets cut even if he wins his fight

hopefully you get banned for fighter bashing

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.