UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> I really need some advice..

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/9/13 8:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CFS7518
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey everyone, I know this is a MA forum, but I need a little advice athletically. I used to play football, but I got a really serious concussion and stopped for a year. This friday the team is starting to lift again, and while I'm still really good friends with everyone on the team, and I'd like to get a lift in in the morning, I don't know how ok the coach would be with it. I also really don't want to get back into playing football. I'd just like an opinion on what I should do. Should I just lift on my own? Should I go and lie to the coach about playing next year? Would lifting for football hurt my MMA training? I'd just like some opinions please.
1/9/13 11:15 PM
turducken

if you used to be on the team but had to stop playing because of a serious injury, i don't see why the coach wouldn't let you continue to work out in the weight room with the team if you just talk to him. "hey coach, playing football was an important part of my life and being a part of this team is still really important to me...even though i cant play anymore due to my concussion i would like to continue to lift weights with the team and also help out in any way i can." he'd have to be a pretty big dickhead to blow you off...its only high school after all. i wouldnt lie...as a general rule, lying usually comes back to bite you in the ass in the end.

also, lifting for football and lifting for mma should have the same goal: to make you stronger. you can then develop conditioning and sport specific skills based on the sport you want to participate in: mma
1/9/13 11:15 PM
turducken

also, if you had such a serious brain injury that it ended your football career, i dont think mma is necessarily the smartest sport to get into
1/10/13 6:35 AM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good advice from turducken. Just ask the coach and be honest. His decision will likely be based on how hard you worked and whether you were a distraction in the weight room when you actually played.

As already mentioned, your football training should be focused on strength and athleticism. Both of which are important for MMA.
1/10/13 9:00 AM
Wiggy
459 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gonna have to echo what these guys have already said.

Because in the end, this isn't really an "athletic" question - it's a character question.  Don't bullshit the coach just to get something you want, but are apprehensive about the answer.  At the same time, if the coach does turn out to be a prick and not let you lift with the team, then it will teach you about overcoming a bit of adversity and giving you experience in what the "real world" can be like.

This situation might be about not playing a specific sport and the coach letting you lift with the team, but the principles and character will serve you in many other areas throughout your life in the future.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.