UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Alvarez Contract Details, UFC TItle Shot, PPV Cut

1/9/13 9:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/eddie-alvarezs-ufc-offer-includes-immediate-title-shot-pay-per-view-cut

If Eddie Alvarez frees himself from Bellator, he stands not only to become an immediate UFC lightweight title challenger but also to profit handsomely from pay-per-view sales.

But if he stays with Bellator, the 28-year-old fighter won't be in the poorhouse, either.

A UFC contract offers Alvarez an immediate title shot in March and a cut of the promotion's pay-per-view profits, according to an exhibit in a lawsuit Bellator MMA filed against the 28-year-old fighter, a copy of which today was obtained by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

An eight-fight deal starts Alvarez at $70,000 to show and $70,000 to win and raises in $5,000 increments with each win until it tops out at a guaranteed $210,000 for a win, the exhibit states. Alvarez is also guaranteed a $250,000 signing bonus, payable in two installments of $85,000 and one of $80,000.

When Alvarez fights on a UFC pay-per-view broadcast, the offer entitles him to $1 for each "buy" between 200,000 and 400,000 buys, $2 per buy between 400,000 and 600,000 buys, and $2.50 per buy over 600,000 buys.

Additionally, Alvarez is guaranteed a fight on a UFC on FOX card and three appearances as a commentator at UFC-branded events.

The exhibit confirms a previous claim from Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney that his promotion merely changed window dressings on the UFC's offer. Mentions of UFC parent company Zuffa are simply crossed out and replaced with Bellator.

It also shows Bellator offered three additional bonuses to Alvarez when Bellator decided to match the UFC's offer. Included was a $25,000 payout for participating in a behind-the-scenes show filmed by Bellator broadcast partner Spike TV, a $100,000 payout for a head coach position on the second season of Bellator's reality show, and a guest host spot on Spike TV's "Road to the Championship" program.

And Alvarez stood to receive a $250,000 signing bonus upon re-upping with Bellator.

The deals are the same – on paper. But Bellator and Alvarez disagree on their value, and they've taken their cases to the court of public opinion.

Before they did that, though, they sued each other.

Check back with MMAjunkie.com tomorrow for a detailed breakdown of the lawsuits and a timeline of the dispute.
1/9/13 9:07 PM
Snayke13
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty slick deal by the ufc, can stand to make some nice cash if hes on a stacked ppv. Or if Sonnen is sharing a card with him.
Curious now what ppv rate some of the stars are getting... Phone Post
1/9/13 9:09 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's really intersting.  I am listening to Bloody Elbow right now (Bjorn was on last night).  Very interesting dilemma. I don't know how this will play out, but Bellator seems to be losing in the battle of public opinion.

1/9/13 9:09 PM
Tap In
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/09/13 9:10 PM
That ppv cut is insane, guess the top guys are making pretty decent coin. Bellator would have to offer a shit ton more to match that, they are going to lose if this goes to court
1/9/13 9:10 PM
Chris27

Snayke13 -  Pretty slick deal by the ufc, can stand to make some nice cash if hes on a stacked ppv. Or if Sonnen is sharing a card with him.
Curious now what ppv rate some of the stars are getting... Phone Post

You can bet guys like GSP and Silva are making more per buy.

I think its crazy they would give him an instant title shot over Pettis and Gilbert but maybe they felt that was something Bellator couldnt do because of their format.

Thats changing though thats why they put in that rematch clause so they can say Chandler/Eddie is a rematch, not an immediate rematch but its a rematch so Eddie can get a title shot.

Bellator can say we will give you the same thing on the PPV but like Eddie is arguing a Bellator PPV wouldnt even do 200k while UFC PPV do 200 to 1 mill buys every show so he would stand to make money on PPV PPV and make shit on Bellator PPvs if they did one.

1/9/13 9:14 PM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No matter what Eddie does, he's gonna be making MONEY in the next couple years
Dude deserves it. I wish him all the best, regardless of which promotion he's in. Phone Post
1/9/13 9:14 PM
Joe_Drogan420

Pretty fucked up when you have to sue to keep a fighter that doesn't want to stay in your promotion.
1/9/13 9:17 PM
TheRaider
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The timing on this is convenient. They get all this press and attention right before their Spike debut.
1/9/13 9:17 PM
MMAhaiku
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not worth the effort for UFC, IMO. He's a bit on the chinny side and think he gets worked by everyone at 155 from Jim Miller on up. Phone Post
1/9/13 9:19 PM
Masakyst
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eddie is making that Anderson Silva money!!
1/9/13 9:19 PM
Chris27

GriffinQ -  No matter what Eddie does, he's gonna be making MONEY in the next couple years
Dude deserves it. I wish him all the best, regardless of which promotion he's in. Phone Post

Not really in Bellator, pretty much erase those PPV numbers because he wont be getting any PPV money in Bellator, even if they did one they would need to do 200k buys for it to kick in, Bellator aint doing 200k buys on a PPV.

So really he would get the signing bonus, the base/win pay and some appearance fees and 100k to do Bellators TUF show.

Good money but not near what he could make in the UFC with PPV money and sponsors.
1/9/13 9:24 PM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 -
GriffinQ -  No matter what Eddie does, he's gonna be making MONEY in the next couple years

Not really in Bellator, pretty much erase those PPV numbers because he wont be getting any PPV money in Bellator, even if they did one they would need to do 200k buys for it to kick in, Bellator aint doing 200k buys on a PPV.

So really he would get the signing bonus, the base/win pay and some appearance fees and 100k to do Bellators TUF show.

Good money but not near what he could make in the UFC with PPV money and sponsors.
He would make, ignoring any ppv bonuses and commentating/reality show money, a minimum of 320k for his first fight. 250k signing 70k for a fight that he didn't win.

Then you factor in the 100k for the show. The other bonuses. The potential ppv money or the money paid to him to replace a lack of ppv money. The sponsorships he gains from being on various spike shows outside of when he is just fighting.

I don't know what your definition of paid is, but Eddie fights fairly frequently, or used to at least. He's easily clear a million a year of just disclosed payouts, fighting guys who 9 times out of 10 are inferior to the top guys in the UFC.

Yes, he would be PAID. Phone Post
1/9/13 9:27 PM
SupesUp
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And according to bjorn if Alverez had been offered Lombard money he woulda just let him go.
Hector must be making some bank. Phone Post
1/9/13 9:28 PM
yellow wrkahlc
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"A UFC contract offers Alvarez an immediate title shot in March..."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. And people were bitching about Melendez getting the shot...

1/9/13 9:30 PM
Chris27

Yeah I mean he would get a nice payday that first year with the TUF and the bonus kicking and if he fought twice a year after that he could be making 400k a year with sponsors and everything but you factor in that UFC PPV money and it goes from making good money to being rich.

1/9/13 9:31 PM
Vote me down

Not unreal.. How much was Dana offering Fedor? Shits all over this x10

1/9/13 9:34 PM
MMALOGIC

Zuffa needs to move away from ppv cuts, and into gauarnteed pay.  move to same weight class cards and you dont have to be so dependant on individual fighters.

does anyone see an NFL team in a bidding battle against a CFL team for a player? if it even happens nobody gives a shit.

Zuffa has the opportunity to revolutionize combat sports by making the UFC a divisional sport which is stable and a proven foundation for the most popular sports in the world instead of an individual sport which is highly volitile and cyclical.

1/9/13 9:37 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

I would be pissed if I were benson too! Phone Post
1/9/13 9:38 PM
chawkins
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there an attorney in the house? If so, can you explain how Bellator can claim to be matching UFC's offer by offering PPV points, when Bellator doesn't *have* any PPV shows to give Eddie points from? It looks like bad faith, if I understand the meaning of the term.
1/9/13 9:40 PM
ec
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bendo vs Eddie would be an awesome fight. Phone Post
1/9/13 9:44 PM
Card
1908 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow... title shot and PPV, amazing.

1/9/13 10:10 PM
BRZ

chawkins - Is there an attorney in the house? If so, can you explain how Bellator can claim to be matching UFC's offer by offering PPV points, when Bellator doesn't *have* any PPV shows to give Eddie points from? It looks like bad faith, if I understand the meaning of the term.
Bellator is factoring if the UFC said 1 for 200K buys they'll match that. Even if Bellator doesn't do PPVs. There is no way of knowing if Eddie is always or ever will fight on PPV so that's not for sure money is what Bellator is saying I think. Phone Post
1/9/13 10:16 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

chawkins - Is there an attorney in the house? If so, can you explain how Bellator can claim to be matching UFC's offer by offering PPV points, when Bellator doesn't *have* any PPV shows to give Eddie points from? It looks like bad faith, if I understand the meaning of the term.

the ufc didnt guarantee eddie will be on any ppvs. and with those points its unlikely the ufc puts him on a ppv amy time soon.

1/9/13 10:34 PM
Nexuscrawlers
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator should just let him go. Yes he is popular, but he didn't give them a significant ratings boost in the shows he fought on. If they just let him sign with the UFC and Eddie is successful there (or if even possibly win the belt), it will just prove Bjorn right all those times he said Eddie was the best.
Bellator should have just let him go and focus more on the growing stars they already have. Bellator is full of exciting fighters no one has heard of. Phone Post
1/9/13 10:37 PM
quick
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he is screwed with the PPV numbers, but I'd say getting a guaranteed slot on Fox and trying to replace that with a slot on Spike is a pretty big damn difference as far as expose and potential sponsorship dollars go. I can definitely see how Eddie would be seething b/c we are talking about some significant differences in money here.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.