UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Iole calls for new PED testing precedent

1/10/13 9:24 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Close to a year ago, UFC heavyweight contender Overeem famously failed a surprise test for performance enhancing drugs administed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC). It was administered immediately before a news conference announcing a title fight with then UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos.

Yahoo's Kevin Iole says the example of Alistair Overeem presents an opportunity for a new precedent in mixed martial arts when a fighter tests positive for PEDs.

Keith Kizer, the executive director of the NSAC, deserves a huge amount of credit not only for ordering the random test that caught Overeem but then for subsequently testing Overeem repeatedly during his commission-imposed suspension.

Overeem was testing himself throughout his nine-month suspension and forwarding the results to Kizer and the commission. This is where Kizer made a brilliant move.

On several occasions, shortly after Overeem had voluntarily submitted a blood and urine sample to prove his innocence, Kizer ordered him to submit to another test. An athlete who uses PEDs will often use them right after he or she has passed a drug test. The thinking is that they'll be clear for a while and can cheat with impunity.

Overeem passed all of the tests. He rightfully was given his license by the commission on Tuesday via a unanimous vote.

Overeem will be tested rigorously by the NSAC for as long as he fights in the state. Hopefully, other state athletic commissions will do the same and put Overeem through a rigorous testing process that includes unannounced tests.

A precedent should be set. Overeem, and every fighter who tests positive for PEDs in the future, should have to do the same thing:

Commissions that consider licensing Overeem should require him to, at his own expense, submit to a carbon isotope ratio test that would be administered randomly during his training camp. The CIR test, which is the only foolproof way to catch usage of synthetic testosterone, is expensive, going for $450-$600 a test.

If they can't afford to pay for the tests, then they don't fight – a hefty price to pay, but safety dictates an abundance of caution.

Read entire article...

Alistair Overeem fghts Antonio "Big Foot" Silva at UFC 156 on February 2 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada.

1/10/13 9:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hikikomori
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Iole just lost his ufc press credentials Phone Post
1/10/13 9:35 AM
Pat Giles
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What about the cheaters that grab the fence, or eye poke. Those guys should go to some sort of anti cheating class on their own dime.

This guy is a fucking moron. Phone Post
1/10/13 9:50 AM
quality
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pay for their own testing? That has to be a joke. If an organization requires drug testing the organization requiring it should be responsible for the burden of the fees. For Overeem the money isn't a big deal, but when you have a ruling like this it will affect the little guys that might not even make that to fight.
1/10/13 9:53 AM
CindyO

Keith Kizer, the executive director of the NSAC, deserves a huge amount of credit not only for ordering the random test that caught Overeem but then for subsequently testing Overeem repeatedly during his commission-imposed suspension.

Overeem was testing himself throughout his nine-month suspension and forwarding the results to Kizer and the commission. This is where Kizer made a brilliant move.

On several occasions, shortly after Overeem had voluntarily submitted a blood and urine sample to prove his innocence, Kizer ordered him to submit to another test. An athlete who uses PEDs will often use them right after he or she has passed a drug test. The thinking is that they'll be clear for a while and can cheat with impunity.

Overeem passed all of the tests. He rightfully was given his license by the commission on Tuesday via a unanimous vote.

So Kizer basically did his job? Why does that deserve a huge amount of credit and how is ordering an unexpected test for a cautious athlete who KNOWS he is subject to random testing a brilliant move? Had Reem failed it would have been worth bragging about/mentioning... but he passed. Pfft.

Oh, and folks will STILL claim Kevin is a Zuffa shill:)

Cindy

1/10/13 10:04 AM
lifeaftrprison
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

God this guy irritates me so much. I can hear his annoying voice as I read this and I would like to smack the smug look he had while he was writing.

The cost is prohibitive on all ends. The athletes can't afford it in most cases , the AC doesn't have the means to test all over the world and the promotion is not responsible for this. Imagine the cost to test athletes all over the world ! Not to mention on a business stand point this type of testing could greatly affect the promotion and the card they put out.

I would love to see the sport cleaned up , but that would take governing bodies not promotions. And boxing still has issues , so who knows. Phone Post
1/10/13 10:12 AM
Delorian
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd really like to wheel kick Iole through a window sometimes. Phone Post
1/10/13 10:22 AM
Ornoku
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yahoo's MMA coverage is a complete joke. Iole kisses Dana's ass so bad its like Dana's words literally come out of this guys writing. This guy is the sole reason I stopped going to and completely avoid Yahoo as a form of sports news.
1/10/13 10:24 AM
mofomike
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That fuck motherfucker.

1/10/13 10:24 AM
Y2JB

Proven PED cheats should absolutely be forced to pay for their own random testing. It would be another deterrent.

Why are there so many people on the UG who defend cheats? You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.
1/10/13 10:38 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Y2JB - Proven PED cheats should absolutely be forced to pay for their own random testing. It would be another deterrent.

Why are there so many people on the UG who defend cheats? You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.
This.

Proven cheats should pay for testing just like drug offenders must pay for such at probation in the real world.

Drunk drivers who must see a monitor weekly and submit to urinalysis are often times required to pay for such testing as well as their fines and court costs.

If you haven't tested dirty, you don't pay for testing should they wish to test you.

If you've tested dirty, consider it probation and a cost of that is to assume financial responsibility for tests to prove you are sticking to the plan and not continuing to use or abuse any substances. Phone Post
1/10/13 10:43 AM
ajsr
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/10/13 10:43 AM
I still don't understand how individuals with such limited writing ability are able to earn a living from journalism.
1/10/13 10:49 AM
Toquinho
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol @ Lole Phone Post
1/10/13 10:55 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

good for iole

1/10/13 11:11 AM
MMALOGIC

the best testing is used in the olympics and people still cheat... the president of WADA admitted they are losing the battle.

is it easier to cheat in MMA than it is in the olympics? absolutely. but if you're concerned about fairness it's a more fair playing field in MMA because everyone can cheat whereas if you improve the testing cheating only becomes accessible to the top 10% who can afford it which would result in a less fair playing field.

Im interested in improving the testing not to have a more fair playing field - because it wont be - but to have a more healthier playing field (with less injuries).

tendons, ligaments and joints cannot handle the unnatural speed, strength and endurance gains resulting from ped use and as a result i believe we are seeing significant injury rates.  ped testing is needed to curb the injury issue which is severely damaging the sport.  The challenge is the implementation because the injury problem will get worse before it gets better with a comprehensive PED program.

1/10/13 11:49 AM
6ULDV8

Yeah, athletes should do everything they can to pay for things which inconvenience them so their life sucks.

Great idea, said no athlete ever.

Bros, does Lole even trane?

1/10/13 11:53 AM
Steven McTowelie
434 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For people complaining about athlete's being burdened with a cost they cannot afford, how about if you actually get caught and actually get clean as you're supposed to, you can use the extra funds that you formerly spent on drugs to cover the cost of testing and have some left over.

I would think an athlete who can afford drugs at any level can afford a $500 test in their stead. Unless of course they still continue paying for (and using) the drugs.
1/10/13 11:58 AM
Toby Lerone
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/10/13 1:01 PM

I always thought a journalist's job was to report the news. Who knew they're also now involved in coming up with governmental policy.

1/10/13 12:35 PM
6ULDV8

Steven McTowelie - For people complaining about athlete's being burdened with a cost they cannot afford, how about if you actually get caught and actually get clean as you're supposed to, you can use the extra funds that you formerly spent on drugs to cover the cost of testing and have some left over.

I would think an athlete who can afford drugs at any level can afford a $500 test in their stead. Unless of course they still continue paying for (and using) the drugs.

1/10/13 12:36 PM
Card
2031 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana LOVES it when Iole talks about PED testing. LOVES it.

1/10/13 12:45 PM
hogh20

JeffersonDArcyChoke - 
Y2JB - Proven PED cheats should absolutely be forced to pay for their own random testing. It would be another deterrent.

This.

Proven cheats should pay for testing just like drug offenders must pay for such at probation in the real world.

Drunk drivers who must see a monitor weekly and submit to urinalysis are often times required to pay for such testing as well as their fines and court costs.

If you haven't tested dirty, you don't pay for testing should they wish to test you.

If you've tested dirty, consider it probation and a cost of that is to assume financial responsibility for tests to prove you are sticking to the plan and not continuing to use or abuse any substances. Phone Post

Jerferson nailed it on the head. The fighters only have to pay if they fail a test! I went through the same thing with my DUI, I had a breathalyzer in my car and it cost 80 bucks a month to kep it funciotning. If I didnt make the payment, the car wouldnt start
1/10/13 1:14 PM
Chappie
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Iole is a prime example of the typical anti-steroid advocate. If anyone has ever met the guy, he looks like someone who has never engaged in physical exercise for a single minute of his life. The guy resembles a real life version of the Boba Fett character from Star Wars. That said, I am a little shocked that Iole, the greatest Zuffa shill of them all, has anything even mildly critical to say about Zuffa. Phone Post
1/10/13 2:16 PM
AZKIEL
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chappie -  Iole is a prime example of the typical anti-steroid advocate. If anyone has ever met the guy, he looks like someone who has never engaged in physical exercise for a single minute of his life. The guy resembles a real life version of the Boba Fett character from Star Wars. That said, I am a little shocked that Iole, the greatest Zuffa shill of them all, has anything even mildly critical to say about Zuffa. Phone Post

I think you mean Jabba the Hutt? Boba Fett was a pimped out bounty hunter, brojan.
1/10/13 3:13 PM
stonepony

Overoids is a fraud, everybody knows that. Good for Kizer hitting him with the random tests.

Overoids and Cyborg should both be randomly tested.
1/10/13 3:22 PM
bigdee1983420
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be fair Overeem technically hadn't tested positive for a named steroid/PED illegally. He had passed everysingle DT priore to his levels being elevated. Yes his levels were high,but that was do to the anti-inflamm./Test injection. That he was prescribed to,He explained all that to the commission. Hence them only giving him 9 months. Afterall it did say he passed a bloodtest,and pisstest,and one after for the NSAC. The whole Overeem cheat thing is overplayed,and Iole is just looking for antention in my opinion. Hell the whole steroid thing in general is overplayed especially in MMA. The fact is all sports use steroids,MMA is just more talked about more. Because they are DrugTested way more,keywords:Drugtested way more!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.