UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mission:Become not fat

1/10/13 1:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JHR
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Director of Handsome

Are you the guy that took down Phil Davis?

1/10/13 1:14 PM
JLindahl
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And the vegan thing isn't as strict of a vegan thing it more to cut down on red meats for at least a couple weeks and stay away from dairy as much as possible

One of my vices that is terrible for me is that I drink more milk than a nursing calf idk why I know it's no good and I really should at least switch back to almond milk Phone Post
1/10/13 1:17 PM
JLindahl
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JHR -

Are you the guy that took down Phil Davis?

Lol no that was 2-3 years and 75 pounds ago he was also not as big as he is now at least it didn't seem as big as he looks in the ring

Stop busting my balls it was a wrestling camp and he was no where near going 100%

He would rape rape me in a wrestling match even at my absolute best Phone Post
1/10/13 1:21 PM
microMx
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

myfitnesspal.com + slow carb diet = win
1/10/13 1:48 PM
fasthandssam
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is something important to understand if you are trying to lose weight:

Sugars and easily digestible carbs (such as bread and pasta) play havoc with your blood sugar. When you eat these foods, you cause a spike in blood sugar and subsequent spike in insulin secretion (the insulin being used to clear sugar from the blood and store it as fat or glycogen). Over a long period of time, this cycle of blood sugar spikes and insulin secretion puts a strain on your metabolism- you become insulin resistant. That means that your cells are accustomed to too much insulin, and they begin to block its effects, forcing you to secrete MORE insulin to do the same job. Additionally, your muscle cells will become insulin resistant BEFORE your fat cells do, so over time more and more energy gets stored as fat and your lean tissue is chronically under-nourished.

This is where the real problems start to stack up. Now you are stuck in a vicious cycle- every time you eat, your pancreas is producing too much insulin. The insulin is immediately storing all your energy as fat. But you are not being nourished- your muscles are not getting the energy they need. Insulin has another property, which is to keep fat STORED in adipose tissue by INHIBITING the release of glucagon. Not only are you storing all of your energy as fat, but you also CANNOT access this fat since your insulin is chronically elevated. So your body compensates- you become hungry and lethargic. Even though you are consuming too much energy, your body is basically experiencing starvation since it cannot access any of it for fuel.

This cycle of spikes in blood sugar -> over-production of insulin -> insulin resistance leads to a host of problems referred to by doctors as "metabolic syndrome." This includes obesity, diabetes, hypertension, etc.

The nefarious thing is that unless you address the underlying hormonal problems (your BROKEN metabolism) you will have a VERY difficult time losing weight and reversing this process. That is, if you try to reduce calories WITHOUT paying attention to the foods that elevate blood sugar, you are shooting yourself in the foot. You will simply be starving yourself while your cells do not get the energy they need, and eventually cravings will overcome your willpower and you will slide back into the same routine. This happens to 90% of people who go on a diet to lose weight.
1/10/13 2:22 PM
slo ko
1099 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

microMx - myfitnesspal.com + slow carb diet = win

don't ignore this advice.

even if you commit to myfitnesspal.com for only a week, it goes a long way towards educating you on the sodium in foods as well as the seemingly insignificant calories that really add up.

I used it as a valuable crutch for two weeks.

1/10/13 4:46 PM
Triple_B
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JLindahl - 
Triple_B - Oh and OP going from one extreme to the other quickly is a sure way to increase the chances of failure.

Start with obtainable fitness goals (<10 minute mile, 10 perfect pushups, 1 dead hang pullup with good form, etc.), eliminate junk food/sugary drinks, increase water intake, increase servings of fruits and vegetables, don't eat out to much.

Might not sound as great as cross fit or a cleanse diet, but fitness and just about every lifestyle change happens gradually. It's not a switch you can turn on. You are way better off easing yourself in to it rather going crazy like it is a race to the finish.

Not to mention that you don't even know if vegan/vegetarian diets are right for you. Why not get in decent shape first and then play with your diet a little bit to try and make the most out of it?

Try not to rely on some program or challenge to motivate you also. Your lack of self motivation is most likely what got you here in the first place. Mentally condition yourself to want change.
I wrestled through middle/high school I have an idea of what fitness is I just gave up and got lazy

Some good tips though anything is appreciated Phone Post

Well then I'm sorry for assuming you were just another guy that never really did much to take care of himself.

If you already have a realistic idea of what it takes to make a change then you are about 50% closer than most of the other out of shape guys out there that don't. That should be some good motivation right there.
1/10/13 4:55 PM
Triple_B
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Toby Lerone - 
Triple_B - 
SoupCan -  Why vegan?

Do you know your blood type, there's certain foods to avoid depending on hour blood type. Alot of people start these diets that they've heard work for others and they are just setting themselves up to fail. Phone Post

do you have a good link to this blood type diet stuff? I'm curious.

fyi, I don't know anything about this but my ma did a blood type diet years ago and lost a shit tonne of weight.

Thanks for your input. My problem lies in the fact that when I alter my diet to try and get closer to my competition weight or just get leaner I feel terrible. I'm starting to think that the foods I'm choosing just don't work with my body. I need to figure out a way to find out what works for me individually rather than research foods that are highly regarded by just about everyone.
1/10/13 5:30 PM
cantuna4u
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for you man. If you really stick to it you should do well. Good luck. Phone Post
1/10/13 5:36 PM
Card
2112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

microMx - myfitnesspal.com + slow carb diet = win

Wow cool site... going to have to try it out.

1/10/13 5:50 PM
MarsMan
336 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fasthandssam - There is something important to understand if you are trying to lose weight:

Sugars and easily digestible carbs (such as bread and pasta) play havoc with your blood sugar. When you eat these foods, you cause a spike in blood sugar and subsequent spike in insulin secretion (the insulin being used to clear sugar from the blood and store it as fat or glycogen). Over a long period of time, this cycle of blood sugar spikes and insulin secretion puts a strain on your metabolism- you become insulin resistant. That means that your cells are accustomed to too much insulin, and they begin to block its effects, forcing you to secrete MORE insulin to do the same job. Additionally, your muscle cells will become insulin resistant BEFORE your fat cells do, so over time more and more energy gets stored as fat and your lean tissue is chronically under-nourished.

This is where the real problems start to stack up. Now you are stuck in a vicious cycle- every time you eat, your pancreas is producing too much insulin. The insulin is immediately storing all your energy as fat. But you are not being nourished- your muscles are not getting the energy they need. Insulin has another property, which is to keep fat STORED in adipose tissue by INHIBITING the release of glucagon. Not only are you storing all of your energy as fat, but you also CANNOT access this fat since your insulin is chronically elevated. So your body compensates- you become hungry and lethargic. Even though you are consuming too much energy, your body is basically experiencing starvation since it cannot access any of it for fuel.

This cycle of spikes in blood sugar -> over-production of insulin -> insulin resistance leads to a host of problems referred to by doctors as "metabolic syndrome." This includes obesity, diabetes, hypertension, etc.

The nefarious thing is that unless you address the underlying hormonal problems (your BROKEN metabolism) you will have a VERY difficult time losing weight and reversing this process. That is, if you try to reduce calories WITHOUT paying attention to the foods that elevate blood sugar, you are shooting yourself in the foot. You will simply be starving yourself while your cells do not get the energy they need, and eventually cravings will overcome your willpower and you will slide back into the same routine. This happens to 90% of people who go on a diet to lose weight.

Great post!

VTFU!

1/10/13 9:03 PM
SoupCan
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Triple_B -
Toby Lerone - 
Triple_B - 
SoupCan -  Why vegan?

Do you know your blood type, there's certain foods to avoid depending on hour blood type. Alot of people start these diets that they've heard work for others and they are just setting themselves up to fail. Phone Post

fyi, I don't know anything about this but my ma did a blood type diet years ago and lost a shit tonne of weight.

Thanks for your input. My problem lies in the fact that when I alter my diet to try and get closer to my competition weight or just get leaner I feel terrible. I'm starting to think that the foods I'm choosing just don't work with my body. I need to figure out a way to find out what works for me individually rather than research foods that are highly regarded by just about everyone.
And that is where knowing your blood type will come in handy, corn is a huge one for me it messes with my metabolism. I eat 5 times a day and I shit no joke 4-7 times a day. If I eat corn the next day I am passing a hockey puck the size of a foot long.

I just got home from work and ill go through my trainers email and find you the website, there's a list of certain foods to ignore. You can almost tell what blood type you are just by what foods you crave. Phone Post
1/10/13 9:05 PM
KevinMcAllister
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/10/13 9:05 PM

Good on you for giving this a go.

Somebody probably said this already but most diets don't give lasting effects. The best way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat less, eat healthier, and excercise consistently. That's the only way to do it long term. Everything else is bullshit. 

1/10/13 9:07 PM
KevinMcAllister
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slo ko - 

Everyone who is telling you to transition slowly is spot-on. That's what I did. When I first began, I picked two things I wanted to change: stop drinking and start walking. It wasn't until much later that I made a hobby of cleaning up diet and relearning how to eat.

But my health was such shit at the start that I could hardly hoof-it 2 miles without knees or hips shutting me down. This sucked because I was a lifelong athlete and I knew what I had been capable of. But my body was perfectly adjusted for the couch. Not a hiking trail.

I just kept at it, man. The more I walked, the more my joints got used to it. I was pounding the Glucosamine/Chondritin and Advil a lot those first months.

Finally I got up to between 120-145 miles a month walking. I added bike riding to the mix.

Fast-forward to the present and I can actually say there's not much I can't do with a little determination. I'm not at my target fitness yet, but I'm close. I walk 80 miles a month now (to and from work) rain or shine. And I lift weights.

My diet is 80/20 or 80% super clean eating and 20% frivilous eating.

And this too. 

1/10/13 9:16 PM
BOMDC
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/10/13 9:17 PM
Congrats and good luck with the change.

This thread is a good place to start:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

I would avoid exclusively sticking to any of these catchy name fad diets (blood type, paleo, vegan, keto can work for some but it's pretty intensive on the tracking side of things). Not saying these are all rubbish, most have good elements in them but then also have arbitrary foods to avoid. Why are people suggesting going zero carb? This will guarantee he won't stick to it and it's pointless at this stage in his regiment. Also I'm curious why people suggest avoiding red meats or saturated fats. Any of advocates of any of these diet programs I would be happy to hear reasoning (in the form of peer reviewed, reputable academic studies of course) behind the restrictions. Start by getting a ballpark of your maintenance cals and get on a deficit. Not too dramatic as it will be counterproductive. Start learning what your desired macronutrient makeup will look like and what foods can get you there that you like. Then slowly stray from the processed foods, sugars, etc and when you're having success on the scale start to assess where your micro nutrient intake could be tweaked for maximization. You can't eat too many vegetable (within reason) and variety is good. 80/20 is an excellent mantra to live by as well if you're honest with yourself about it.
1/10/13 9:20 PM
Triple_B

SoupCan - 
Triple_B -
Toby Lerone - 
Triple_B - 
SoupCan -  Why vegan?

And that is where knowing your blood type will come in handy, corn is a huge one for me it messes with my metabolism. I eat 5 times a day and I shit no joke 4-7 times a day. If I eat corn the next day I am passing a hockey puck the size of a foot long.

I just got home from work and ill go through my trainers email and find you the website, there's a list of certain foods to ignore. You can almost tell what blood type you are just by what foods you crave. Phone Post

I am o positive
1/10/13 9:58 PM
SoupCan
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Triple_B -
SoupCan - 
Triple_B -
Toby Lerone - 
Triple_B - 
SoupCan -  Why vegan?

I am o positive
My phone went let me copy the other ones but here is the one it will let me copy

http://www.dietpromises.com/blood-type-diet

Give it a try and see if you notice any differences Phone Post
1/11/13 12:20 AM
Triple_B

SoupCan - 
Triple_B -
SoupCan - 
Triple_B -
Toby Lerone - 
Triple_B - 
SoupCan -  Why vegan?

I am o positive
My phone went let me copy the other ones but here is the one it will let me copy

http://www.dietpromises.com/blood-type-diet

Give it a try and see if you notice any differences Phone Post

Ok well post the other ones if you ever get a chance.
1/11/13 11:36 AM
slo ko
1099 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Walden Farms calorie-free dressings are your friend.

Natural ingredients, with the exception of artifical sweetener in some of their selection. I especially swear by the regular Italian. It's delicious.

www.waldenfarms.com if you can't find them at your local store. Their website has a listing of area distributors if you plug in your zip code, though.

1/11/13 12:15 PM
bjjdna
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BOMDC - Congrats and good luck with the change.

This thread is a good place to start:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

I would avoid exclusively sticking to any of these catchy name fad diets (blood type, paleo, vegan, keto can work for some but it's pretty intensive on the tracking side of things). Not saying these are all rubbish, most have good elements in them but then also have arbitrary foods to avoid. Why are people suggesting going zero carb? This will guarantee he won't stick to it and it's pointless at this stage in his regiment. Also I'm curious why people suggest avoiding red meats or saturated fats. Any of advocates of any of these diet programs I would be happy to hear reasoning (in the form of peer reviewed, reputable academic studies of course) behind the restrictions. Start by getting a ballpark of your maintenance cals and get on a deficit. Not too dramatic as it will be counterproductive. Start learning what your desired macronutrient makeup will look like and what foods can get you there that you like. Then slowly stray from the processed foods, sugars, etc and when you're having success on the scale start to assess where your micro nutrient intake could be tweaked for maximization. You can't eat too many vegetable (within reason) and variety is good. 80/20 is an excellent mantra to live by as well if you're honest with yourself about it.

"I'm curious why people suggest avoiding red meats or saturated fats. Any of advocates of any of these diet programs I would be happy to hear reasoning (in the form of peer reviewed, reputable academic studies of course) behind the restrictions"

From what I've learned, you don't want to eliminate your saturated fats, just limit them - and again everyone is different so saturated fats and red meat may less unhealthy for some than others.

Cutting way back on red meat and saturated fats has produced wonderful results for me. I no longer suffer on a daily basis.

I used to have HORRIBLE inflammation problems in my neck, back, hip - daily discomfort and sometimes serious pain - such that I could not get to sleep at night without drugs.

Since I've cut way back on my red meat, milk, and saturated fats, my problems are MUCH less severe, and I no longer have to take drugs on a daily basis.

The following research may explain why..

Summary...

All mammals have a sugar that coats their cells called Neu5Gc - all mammals but humans.

Humans instead have Neu5Ac. The enzyme that converts Neu5Ac to Neu5Gc was turned off by a mutation in humans about 2-3 mya at the same time h. erectus appears in the fossil record.

It is hypothesized that human selection pressure to lose Neu5Gc may be related to the evolution of resistance to one type of malaria. The loss of Neu5Gc to protect our ancestors from malaria may be making humans susceptible to other human diseases - as mutations that favor survival in once instance, often create other problems/changes in the organism.

Although humans don't make Neu5Gc, all other mammals do have Neu5Gc and it is found in mostly in red meats (beef, pork, lamb).

When humans eat red meat, Neu5Gc shows up in our proteins. The human immune system reacts against Neu5Gc - as some humans have antibodies that target Neu5Gc. Eating red meat and saturated fats high in Neu5Gc may be responsible for immune reactions that contributes to a whole spectrum of human-specific diseases associated with chronic inflammation. My specific circumstance seems to support this research.

Here is the full article

http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080702/full/454021a.html
1/11/13 4:45 PM
bjjdna
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh and I forgot to add that I used to have HORRIBLE heartburn problems as well requiring prescription level medication...my heartburn problems are also almost completely gone now that I've changed my diet
1/11/13 4:49 PM
GSTREBENDT
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just saw that a guy bought a juicer and for two weeks all he did was make veggie/fruit juices and he lost 29 pounds!!! that would be a good start!!
1/11/13 6:52 PM
Macbody
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JLindahl - So I'm done being a fat piece of shit starting a vegan diet for 28days then going to a low carb lean protein diet

Any tips/ridicule are welcome

Currently 275lbs 6ft fat as shit Phone Post
Solution: eat less, exercise more...

Hey!

I'm like the new Dolce! Phone Post
1/17/13 8:44 AM
JLindahl

So I said fuck the vegan bullshit

I picked up a fat burner/vitamin pack from gnc and have lost 5-10 lbs to where people in my circle have noticed

Definite confidence booster when non family members say it looks like you lost weight Phone Post
1/17/13 9:02 AM
DonkeyKick215
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

quit the beer

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.