UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mousasi: I think people underestimate me

1/10/13 12:07 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Put everything together, and there is a fire in Mousasi's voice that hasn't been there in some time. "I have it in the back of my head," he measuredly explains. "This fight is a very important fight. It's a very important fight for my future and career.

"I see a lot of fighters getting knocked out, but they still, they praise them a lot more than me. I haven't been beaten badly in any fight. I just lost one fight in, I don't know how many fights. I think people underestimate me. And I feel like now, with the good training I have, why shouldn't I be able to fight these UFC fighters?"

Mousasi admits it's tough not to look ahead when such a colossal opportunity is so close. If he had his wish, he'd fight Shogun Rua, Forrest Griffin, Lyoto Machida, or Alexander Gustafsson for his Octagon debut, though really anyone in the top-10 would suffice. Mousasi knows he's small for the division -- he walks around barely above 210 pounds -- but he's confident his technique, speed and conditioning will neutralize any weight advantage his opponents may have. And if things don't pan out like they should, Mousasi would be open to a move down to middleweight.

But things will pan out, he's sure of it. He can feel it. For too long his critics have thrown around that damnable word. Overrated. Everything has built to this moment. And now it all begins with Kyle. "I'm almost to my goal," he promises.

"This is the time. If I don't do it now, maybe I won't get a second chance. I feel like everything is falling into its place."

read entire article...

1/10/13 12:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_SidRival
508 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not me. Phone Post
1/10/13 12:16 PM
mixjitsu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im a mousasi fan but im tired of hearing about him being the next fedor... he cant wrestling he doesnt have ko power and he hasnt beat a top guy any while(part of that is he's so inactive) with him losing to king mo and having a draw with jardine and he's fight with ovince preux was kinda close especially with him being argued to be a top ten guy
1/10/13 12:18 PM
XcessiveZ

junobeach - soon they will call him Gegard "Osteoperosis" Mousasi cuz hes gonna do work on Bones
He gets taken down and finished if that fight happens. Phone Post
1/10/13 12:28 PM
orcus

Underestimated? That's what happens when you never fight top 10 opponents and still keep going the distance.

1/10/13 12:44 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Mousasi is capable of a lot more then he's shown when he's fought in the US.

He has this sort of lackadaisical personality. I'd like to see him get angry and call someone out!

1/10/13 12:55 PM
Lobo8

Mousasi is clearly capable of being a top 5 fighter in lhw or mw. But he hasnt taken the right approach to training or his career. Apparently he has changed things up and now does a real training camp and intends to make a run in the ufc. As long as he keeps his focus and and continues to improve his counter wrestling, he should be able to make a nice career for himself and get a shot at the title.
1/10/13 1:12 PM
cheesesteak
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I give much props to his talent but fighting for the UFC in the USA will be challenging for Gegard as he runs the risk of being blanketed and sort elbowed into a Bolivian
1/10/13 1:16 PM
markiz

cheesesteak - I give much props to his talent but fighting for the UFC in the USA will be challenging for Gegard as he runs the risk of being blanketed and sort elbowed into a Bolivian

Yea, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if his first UFC fight is against a wrestler. Bader maybe.
1/10/13 1:23 PM
Chappie
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck, I hope Mousasi gets picked up by the UFC. In this watered down era of tribal tattoed, trash talking, wrestling based point fighters, Mousasi is exactly the very type of fighter that the UFC needs to sign. Phone Post
1/10/13 1:31 PM
in_different
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That guy gets a lot of respect. Frankly it's been a lot of natural talent though. He hasn't earned accolades because its obvious he hasn't trained like he is supposed to. The hard workers are rewarded. And unless he turns things aaround, he doesn't deserve more recognition.

He has a golden opportunity to make his career special, but old habits die hard and I don't see him turning it around. Its all on him
1/10/13 1:47 PM
D241
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fucking King Mo ruined Mousasi for me. I was a fan of his, and still enjoy watching him fight, but when King Mo trash talked before his fight with him and pointed out how Gegard sounds like Kermit The Frog, that's ALL I hear when I listen to Gegard speak. Even reading the op I had Kermit's voice over in my head.

1/10/13 2:17 PM
Doc T
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gegard is awesome. Hope he can finally stop the TD, but I have an odd feeling Kyle is going to blast him.. Phone Post
1/10/13 2:40 PM
SupesUp
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is just like Fedor in that he is either vastly undestimated or vastly overestimated. No one just estimates those guys. Phone Post
1/10/13 2:46 PM
JOESONDO
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's an exciting fighter but his last few fights have been underwhelming. Admittedly King Mo blanketed him and did less damage from top than Mousasi did from the bottom but the other fights were less than spectacular as well. His fight vs. Jardine was horrendous, and should have been a blow out but was not.

Hopefully he looks good in his fight with Kyle. Kyle is a tough opponent who hits hard, could be a dangerous fight.
1/10/13 2:52 PM
danggook

Sure of by underrated you mean overrated Phone Post
1/10/13 3:13 PM
InYourMomaCloset
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MW would definitely suit him better, but can't wait to see him in UFC either way.

1/10/13 3:20 PM
Pat Giles
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOESONDO - He's an exciting fighter but his last few fights have been underwhelming. Admittedly King Mo blanketed him and did less damage from top than Mousasi did from the bottom but the other fights were less than spectacular as well. His fight vs. Jardine was horrendous, and should have been a blow out but was not.

Hopefully he looks good in his fight with Kyle. Kyle is a tough opponent who hits hard, could be a dangerous fight.
You didn't watch the jardine fight obviously. Phone Post
1/10/13 3:41 PM
TheFlyingGentlemen

Sal Penis -

I advise you guys to watch his fight vs OSP again. He has improved his wreslting drasticaly since the King Mo fight. In the OSP fight Gegard DOMINATED osp in the stand up AND on the ground and OSP is a wreslter. Gegard hits HARD. Very accuarte ground n pound. He's a fucking savage.

OSP is not a wrestler. He never wrestled Phone Post
1/10/13 3:46 PM
TheFlyingGentlemen

TheFlyingGentlemen -
Sal Penis -

I advise you guys to watch his fight vs OSP again. He has improved his wreslting drasticaly since the King Mo fight. In the OSP fight Gegard DOMINATED osp in the stand up AND on the ground and OSP is a wreslter. Gegard hits HARD. Very accuarte ground n pound. He's a fucking savage.

OSP is not a wrestler. He never wrestled Phone Post
Edit. He did wrestle in highschool Phone Post
1/10/13 4:15 PM
JOESONDO
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pat Giles - 
JOESONDO - He's an exciting fighter but his last few fights have been underwhelming. Admittedly King Mo blanketed him and did less damage from top than Mousasi did from the bottom but the other fights were less than spectacular as well. His fight vs. Jardine was horrendous, and should have been a blow out but was not.

I did. What was so great about his performance in that fight? Far as i know Jardine came in on short notice and appeared to have more cardio than Mousasi but they both gassed hard. Should have been much easier than that for Mousasi.
1/10/13 4:30 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOESONDO - 
Pat Giles - 

I did. What was so great about his performance in that fight? Far as i know Jardine came in on short notice and appeared to have more cardio than Mousasi but they both gassed hard. Should have been much easier than that for Mousasi.

Im not sure why you would expect a blowout, Jardine is a very akward fighter that confused both Chuck and Rampage, having to fight someone with that wierd style on short notice is even worse

With that said, Mousasi won fairly easily, he beat the piss out of Jardine and was never in danger at any point, the only thing Jardine accomplished in the fight was taking him down a few times

1/10/13 4:35 PM
whoabro

danggook - Sure of by underrated you mean overrated Phone Post
This Phone Post
1/10/13 4:42 PM
rockwell
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Mousasi has under performed rather than being underrated.
He is kind of overrated due to him not always performing the way we've seen he can (but often doesn't).

If he got his act together and was a bit more consistent he would no doubt be rated very highly, and deservedly so, as he has huge potential. Phone Post
1/10/13 4:52 PM
Barbalos

There are a few people who say he will be huge in the UFC but not many, they are the minority. Most say he will be a good fight for a lot of guys at either LHW or MW. That isn't overrated to me. And he catches a lot of shit, even though he has an exciting style, even if he isn't #1. Don't get it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.