UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Can a fighter be worthy of the HOF without a title

1/11/13 9:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thedirtyburger
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are many fighters without a UFC title that I would put in the hall of fame over some title holders Phone Post
1/11/13 9:10 AM
Lazer MMA

OMGClayGuida -  Without a UFC title?

Dan Henderson walks into the Hall of Fame. Phone Post

WTF guy, I already said the man holds the UFC 17 tourney belt. There is your belt/title bro.
1/11/13 9:18 AM
jpm995
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think yes. Pioneers like Igor V were the best before there were titles. Whats harder getting a belt or winning many tournments [some with 64 fighters]. Sak is a def HOF. Big Nog was an intrim belt holder but should be in the HOF because of his great non ufc fights. Wand is another hof'er in my book.
1/11/13 11:47 AM
UGCTT_El Pescadero
3296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ya... For sure... Jeremy Horn is a great example... Dude has a serious record ... And has been In some absolute wars... Been around forever...Would be a travesty if he didn't get in. Phone Post
1/11/13 12:09 PM
chawkins
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP24 -  You will see Stephan Bonnar in the HOF.

A UFC title should be a prerequisite before entering the HOF but I'm sure arguments can be made for certain guys. Phone Post

This.

There aren't a lot of ways for a non-pioneer fighter to make a significant contribution to/impact on the sport *without* winning a title.

That said, Bonnar and Griffin will probably get in, as it could be said that they are the pioneers of the "new" era of MMA. At the very least, they saved the UFC.

I'm trying to think of any other guys who have made sport-level contributions that would qualify as HOF material without winning a UFC title. I can't think of any right now. But I'm sure someone will suggest some.
1/11/13 12:12 PM
Flexo
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd vote J-Lau. Phone Post
1/11/13 12:13 PM
myjawhurts
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JamesTheWelshDR - Chris lytle Phone Post
Boom!
Never knocked out, never submitted, king of the FOTN world! Phone Post
1/11/13 12:40 PM
Dana Stern

UGCTT_mousetrap -
Dana Stern - I would say Bonner does not get in. I know that fight with him and Griffin was a huge part in UFC and MMA history but still has little to do with his personal achievements. I can't think of any fighter who hasn't held a title that should be in the Hall of Fame. Don't think Kenny should be either. Guys I think could be inducted in the future, Forrest Griffin, Rashad Evans, GSP, Anderson Silva, Wand Silva, Big Nog, Brock possibly, BJ Penn. Phone Post
You say rashard gets in and then say possibly Bj wtf.... I think I am too stoned Phone Post
No I meant Brock should or could possibly get in, BJ Penn gets in for sure without a doubt! Shogun without a doubt, Henderson, and I'd say CroCop for sure but his run in the UFC was so lackluster I'm just unsure about him. However Wands has been too and I say he is a definite in so... Phone Post
1/11/13 12:50 PM
SexiestManAlive

Devlin - just ufc or are we they allowing pridr belts as well aince imo wand deservea in the hof Phone Post
Pride belts are reasonable. Hendo, Wand, Fedor etc.

Fighters I was thinking of are people like Florian, Diego Sanchez, Lauzon, Chris Lytle, Bonnar, Nick Diaz etc.

It's like should entertainment be a reason for consideration?
Lauzon is a perfect example, look at his fights and " of the night" bonuses Phone Post
1/11/13 2:02 PM
mdfmma123
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Want, Cro Cop, Fedor, Sak Phone Post
1/11/13 2:06 PM
mdfmma123
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*Wand Phone Post
1/11/13 2:17 PM
Winston Wolf
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think most here are too lenient.Id be stricter on who should be in .Fitch ? are u kidding me
1/11/13 2:27 PM
myjawhurts
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Billy Joe Rottoncrotch -
myjawhurts - 
Boom!
Never knocked out, never submitted, king of the FOTN world! Phone Post

Never ranked in the top ten.

Never a serious title contender, let alone a champion.

I'd say that he is a hof candidate based on his record, his FOTN success, his attitude, his style, his social conscience and the fact he did all that as a part time fighter. That's bad ass in my opinion. Phone Post
1/11/13 2:37 PM
kungfugrip
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank Shamrock is not happy!
1/11/13 5:00 PM
youarewhatiswrong
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JamesTheWelshDR -  Chris lytle Phone Post

1/11/13 6:29 PM
UGCTT_mousetrap
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana Stern -
UGCTT_mousetrap -
Dana Stern - I would say Bonner does not get in. I know that fight with him and Griffin was a huge part in UFC and MMA history but still has little to do with his personal achievements. I can't think of any fighter who hasn't held a title that should be in the Hall of Fame. Don't think Kenny should be either. Guys I think could be inducted in the future, Forrest Griffin, Rashad Evans, GSP, Anderson Silva, Wand Silva, Big Nog, Brock possibly, BJ Penn. Phone Post
You say rashard gets in and then say possibly Bj wtf.... I think I am too stoned Phone Post
No I meant Brock should or could possibly get in, BJ Penn gets in for sure without a doubt! Shogun without a doubt, Henderson, and I'd say CroCop for sure but his run in the UFC was so lackluster I'm just unsure about him. However Wands has been too and I say he is a definite in so... Phone Post
Fair enough I was too stoned lol Phone Post
1/11/13 6:39 PM
Tubarao

tank
florian
horn

Those damn good suggestions imo Phone Post
1/11/13 6:43 PM
Mexican Janitor
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can you get in the NFL hall without a superbowl title? Sorry Dan Marino. Can you get in the basketball hall of fame without an NBA ring? Not happening Charles Barkely.

Lol of course you can, ya boozo. Phone Post
1/11/13 6:44 PM
UGCTT_buchu8oolong
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Came to say this, along with Lauzon when he leaves the sport (hopefully not for a long time) Phone Post
1/11/13 6:44 PM
UGCTT_buchu8oolong
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And Jeremy Horn. Phone Post
1/11/13 8:36 PM
MrColdCock
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tears for lube -
MrColdCock - Off the top of my head, I would say Jon Fitch is probably the best UFC fighter to never win a belt. So.... No. Phone Post
That belongs to hendo and it's not even close Phone Post
Belt or no belt, Henderson is not a hall of famer based on his UFC record.

He doesn't come close to Fitch's UFC record. Then again, I can't think of anyone that does. So ya, if Fitch doesn't get in based on accomplishments, no non belt holder would.

I don't think Fitch gets in. Phone Post
1/11/13 8:53 PM
Oddessa
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes

1/11/13 8:55 PM
yabadaba
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/11/13 8:59 PM
jpm995 - I think yes. Pioneers like Igor V were the best before there were titles. Whats harder getting a belt or winning many tournments [some with 64 fighters]. Sak is a def HOF. Big Nog was an intrim belt holder but should be in the HOF because of his great non ufc fights. Wand is another hof'er in my book.

I assume the OP means the UFC HOF. Obviously Igor V., Sak, Fedor, etc would be in an MMA HOF - but they wouldn't be in the UFC HOF.

1/12/13 4:17 AM
18Doc
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Big Crouchy UK - The answer here is yes.

It obviously has to reflect the persons overall career. However even though a belt is the ultimate cherry on top, some guys have been absolutely unbelievable without winning one within the UFC.

For me it should go on the following,

UFC titles (as discussed)
Fight night bonuses...for example given his young age, Joe Lauzon. Just say he never wins a title, but continues fighting the way he is/has, I'd say someone like him deserves for all the entertaining fights he puts on whether it win or lose Phone Post
This. Phone Post
1/12/13 4:29 AM
SonnendbySilva
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Flexo - I'd vote J-Lau. Phone Post
First thing that came to mind. Every fight he has is a fotn candidate. Along with Chris lytle. And dare I say Micheal Bisping? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.