UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Kali/Eskrima/Arnis Schools in NYC

1/11/13 2:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NYC Judoka60kg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi everyone,

I have done some web searches and found a bunch of Kali/Eskrima/Arnis schools in NYC. However, I do not know which ones are considered "real".

I am looking for a school that will teach the proper technique as well as sparring.

If anyone knows of a good place in NYC, please let me know.

Thanks
1/13/13 6:44 PM
jrrrrr
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/13/13 6:44 PM
When you say NYC, I'm assuming you mean Manhattan.
If you want JKD based, there is Dan Anderson's school that still teaches the Inosanto method. I think there is another JKD place as well.
Pekiti tersis - NY jiu jitsu - eddie hunt teaches, cool guy. Last year he hosted Marc Denny of the Dog brothers.
American kali systems - Guro Frank Ortega - he is one of Leo Gaje's oldest instructors.

If you google Kali and New york City you'll get a bunch of hits.
...look at who has the best footwork...
1/15/13 8:09 AM
khd29

Edited: 01/15/13 12:36 PM
What's up, Ricky
There are several kali systems in NYC area.

Atienza, PTK, Modern Arnis, Doce Pares, and even Balintawak, to name a few. Met this guy who teaches his own system Kuntaw Kali Kruzada a while back. He is more Modern Arnis and LSAI but I liked his style. They used to meet up at Fighthouse but don't know where they are now.

To be honest, I see little differences in systems but that's just my .02. I enjoyed my studies with Doce Pares a lot. I heard lots of good stuff about Atienza. As I kid in the Philippines the styles I heard were Balintawak, LESKAS, LSAI and Modern Arnis were common. Esp Modern Arnis. The founder wanted to be part of Phys Ed program I think. PTK is now used by Philippine Marines(?) but there is a debate how they were selected.

Forum member Willybone I think studied briefly at Modern Arnis Dumog downtown.
1/15/13 8:13 AM
khd29

check fmatalk.com

Hopefully someone there could help you.
3/10/13 1:37 PM
yusul
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sometimes ray floro is in the weapons forum. he could also help.
3/11/13 10:33 AM
Willybone
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to study at Village Martial Arts Institute on East 3rd St, under Doug Pierre.

While I treasure the time I spent there and am deeply grateful to Sifu for the knowledge he imparted to me, I don't think the "TMA" approach (belts, tests, kata) would appeal to most UGers.

6/20/13 3:12 AM
wannabshooter

Any updates, NYC Judoka60kg?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.