UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Do I need to run more to do well on a stress test

1/11/13 3:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
darkness66
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So every year for work I participate in a wellness program. This program consists of a full physical, blood labs, flexibility assessment, hearing and vision, diet and nutrition consult and a cardiac stress test.
I really don't like cardio but I've never performed well on the stress test. My first three years I did bjj and muay Thai. My cardio in the gym felt great but when I got on that tread mill I was always below average. I can hang with the high intensity circuits that we do three times a week at work and I'm also currently doing 5/3/1 but I just don't like to run. Every time I do a run I feel defeated but also motivated to improve but ultimately I end up staying of the track long enough to never really improve. What I really want to know is if there is a way around getting out there and running. I've tried intervals in the past and they definitely break the monotony of a distance run but I've never stuck with it.

So what do you guys say? Do I need to man up and get the running shoes out or are there more creative ways to improve cardio? Phone Post
1/11/13 4:00 AM
Leigh
842 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Run slower. Get a hr monitor and stick to the right zone Phone Post
1/11/13 5:57 PM
Taku
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/11/13 8:05 PM

Most stress tests are administered using a treadmill. If you want to train specifically, then get on the treadmill and walk / jog / run, working up on the incline. My advice would be work on keeping your HR somehwere between 140-170 BPM for at least 10 minutes per workout, do this at least 3 X per week. Honestly a few weeks of this just be fore the test date will likely cause a nice adaptation for you.

TAKU 

1/12/13 3:51 PM
darkness66
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys. Phone Post
1/13/13 11:54 AM
weepingbeaver
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh - Run slower. Get a hr monitor and stick to the right zone Phone Post
This. Phone Post
1/13/13 1:47 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You could probably improve your cardio by walking briskly.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.