UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> how do you teach a class of 80 kids?

1/11/13 9:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

can you keep them quiet and interested ,7 thru 12 yr olds

1/11/13 9:22 AM
oliverhh
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

let them replace every name of a submission with the name of a pokemon-attack, and they will play for days ^^
1/11/13 9:24 AM
90lb_weakling
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The first thing you do is split them up into two or three classes and divide them with, if possible, 2 instructors each class.

There's no proper school in the world that has more than about 30 students in one class. And I think they have a pretty good experience with how to get kids to keep quiet and interested.

So yeah if you split them up you'll have a better chance. Second is to do more playing than jiu-jitsuing. Being forced through something is kryptonite to kids. Consider varying games a lot. But try to find games that are centered around useful skills. If you're inventive. Make up some of your own. I'm at work right now, so I can't spend a long time writing up a list of things to do.

But the first things in this post is a huge help.
A class full of 80 kids sounds completely unmanageable.
1/11/13 10:31 AM
Matthieu Battle
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as soon as you walk in the door, pick one at random and choke it unconscious. let the body fall where it may without a care.

in situations like this you MUST establish dominance immediately.
1/11/13 10:44 AM
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matthieu Battle - as soon as you walk in the door, pick one at random and choke it unconscious. let the body fall where it may without a care.

in situations like this you MUST establish dominance immediately.

close

1/11/13 10:48 AM

unmanageable? you can hear a pin drop

1/11/13 11:18 AM
Sir Taps
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to know how the GA teaches such a large kids class, I help teach ours and it can be tough sometimes, especially when teaching without any assistants.

James
1/11/13 11:49 AM
ChipW
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Step out of line and its 3 trips up the rope. Step out of line again and you get to go sit with mommy or leave for the rest of practice. Works at wrestling practice. That's the elite kids though and the youngest is 10. Phone Post
1/11/13 11:50 AM
ChipW
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^And there's nowhere near 80. Probably around 30 Phone Post
1/11/13 12:11 PM
green_machine
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A class of 80 kids sounds like my nightmare. Props to you guys that teach the little ones.
1/11/13 5:07 PM
pelekys
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With either multiple instructors or give the older/higher ranking kids a leadership role. Then, split them into groups to work on a technique.

You can make it more exciting by making it a competition to see which 'Team' of students can get all of it's members capable of doing the move/series of moves the best within a specific time frame. Ex: ten minutes to do a basic armbar from guard and then, all of the teams have to come back and demonstrate how many of their members can do the technique(s) properly.

You can also have the teams come up with their own team names that they keep to themselves until they have to pull off the move. Some of the names the groups will come up with are hilarious.

1/11/13 8:44 PM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The parents of those 80 kids are wasting their money and that instructor is wasting his time. You would need at least 4 instructors. EIGHTY? Didn't the Ribeiro bros cap their ADULT STUDENT BASE AT 80? I know I read that in their website when they first moved to San D. That is carzy and way too many kids - or adults for that matter. Not happening!
1/11/13 9:02 PM
elburrogrande
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no clue. I just taught a class of 12 and almost went insane
1/11/13 10:19 PM
LittleTony
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ideal 8 to 1 ratio....students to instructor....

80 students...humm...12 - Well one class at 4PM and the second at 5PM.

Also learning centers/stations is effective to break up a whole group instruction.

Learning centers will help!

"little" Tony Pacenski
Master of Edcuation!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.