UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Opinions on TRX training?

1/11/13 10:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Trane
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do muay thai 4 times a week and want to add some additional strength training at home. I saw a set of TRX bands on sale at Costco for $55 so decided to pick that up. Will probably buy a wall-mount plate as well for attachment. Will download the TRX dvds later.

Does anyone here have any experience with TRX training? I also have a couple of kettlebells as well but thought it'd be interesting to try something new.
1/11/13 12:14 PM
letsgobois

In for information. I just got some kettlebells for christmas and was interested in TRX.

1/11/13 2:06 PM
paw
1368 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've a TRX but wouldn't feel comfortable speaking authoritatively on it.  I felt (possibly incorrectly) that the TRX is good for some movements and goals, but not for others.

What are your goals?

1/11/13 2:11 PM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TRX is definitely a useful tool, the benefit you receive will all depends how you program it. Cant really go wrong for $55. I use them at the gym here and there for accessory work.
1/11/13 5:51 PM
Taku
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As LiftStrong has pointed out,

TRX is a tool. Tools are good if you use them effectively. I am not sure where one can buy a TRX for $55.00 (that's super cheap). There are other suspension tools on the market which are less expensive and just as good as the TRX. I would personally not base my entire program around one (but there are those who do).

TAKU

1/13/13 9:43 AM
Trane

Thanks for all the replies.

I am 5'9 170 with 16% bf from 18% months ago. My original goal was to lose 5-10 lbs. but I've since changed that focus to try to remain at 170 while continuing to shed body fat while not compromising on muscle mass.

I think I will set this up and try it but as well not neglect the conventional resistance training as mentioned. Will still do dumbells, kettlebells and cleans for explosiveness. My muscles have been used to the conventional lifts for years so I'm hoping that TRX will activate new muscle growth from different areas.
1/14/13 7:45 AM
Chocolate Shatner
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku - 

As LiftStrong has pointed out,

TRX is a tool. Tools are good if you use them effectively. I am not sure where one can buy a TRX for $55.00 (that's super cheap). There are other suspension tools on the market which are less expensive and just as good as the TRX. I would personally not base my entire program around one (but there are those who do).

TAKU

To mention, I went Cheap Bastard on mine, and love it.

Basically, I had a ceiling joist that was (for my room) 5 meters in the air (think about 18 feet).

So, I bought 20 meters of rope (hey, it was the size of the package) that was rated at 1200 kilogram break strength. Also bought a $2 piece of garden hose, and 4 50 mm diameter PVC pipe ends (you can get a single PVC pipe and cut it yourself it you want, but I did this for convenience and appearance. Also, pipe diameter is at your discretion)

I folded the rope in half and hung it over my joist. Then I trimmed the rope so that it was really two pieces, one about 6 meters and one 4 meters. I tied loops in the end of the 6 meter piece, after stringing a PVC handle through each. I then repeated the process with the 4 meter rope, and finally joined the two pieces together in a single overhand knot.

What I end up with is a two loop setup. The lower loops are about 6-10 inches off the floor, which I use for pushups, etc. I suppose I could use them for rows and shit like that, but honestly I don't worry it yet, I have other ways I enjoy more.

The upper loops are at slightly above shoulder height. These are great for gymnastic dips, or if I tuck my knees, pullups.

Sorry, forgot to mention the use of the garden hose. About half of it I used to string through under the PVC handles, prevents wear and tear. The other half I strung on top of the joist, again preventing wear and tear.

So, for about $30 bucks, I have a rope system that is easily rated at over a ton, versatile, and good looking.

And no, I do not use it for everything. It's a fun little tool, but that's it.
2/6/13 6:58 AM
Pito Chueco
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The gym I go to has classes on the TRX. To mix it up, I jumped into a level 3 class the other day on a whim. Dayum, that shit was tough. The next day, I was sore in places that I am not used to being sore in.

Going to keep going a few times a month, it was fun and seemed like a good workout.

I wish I could find some for $55. I would grab some for home use for days when I can't make it to the gym.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.