UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Karate Blackbelt vs Wing Chun

1/11/13 6:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kingkoopa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f7td8Hc-V4&feature=youtube_gdata_player Phone Post
1/11/13 6:34 PM
KickYoNuts
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/11/13 6:46 PM
Dirk Bevlin
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was a hoot! Thanks! Phone Post
1/11/13 6:57 PM
willheffernan

I imagine it would look different against Lyoto's karate though. As with all these Karate vs Aikido or Judo vs Wrestling etc etc videos it should be labelled Good Fighter vs Worse Fighter.
1/11/13 7:00 PM
jcblass

Edited: 01/11/13 7:00 PM

not a bad showing for his size and his weight, he used the angles well and was pretty accurate when he punched. He was a very good WC practitioner. With that said, the "karate" guy did little to bolster that title. He threw hay makers and tried nothing remotely close to a karate technique. For a style that is at least 40 percent kicks, he didn't attempt one. For a style know for its front leg sweeps, he tried none. He may be a karate guy, but certianly isn't at the black belt level.
1/11/13 7:14 PM
dhughes
357 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool!
1/11/13 7:15 PM
thesleeper

Japanese karate is big on punching.
1/11/13 7:51 PM
,DBK,
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a whole series of videos from whatever this event was. I remember drunkenly watching them all one night.
1/11/13 8:25 PM
Rob San Soo

I love this stuff lol Phone Post
1/13/13 2:25 PM
kingkoopa

KickYoNuts - 

You just got VTFU!

thanks man
1/13/13 2:29 PM
Kirik
1682 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Good for those guys actually mixing it up.

1/13/13 2:54 PM
Shroom
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6 months of jits would win either of these guys the fight.
1/13/13 2:57 PM
kingkoopa

Shroom - 6 months of jits would win either of these guys the fight.
It probably would. I for one enjoy watching tma style vs style like this.

2 diff striking styles going at it.
Or
2 diff grappling styles going at it Phone Post
1/13/13 3:31 PM
KimuraKing

The Wing Chun guy was an excellent student of his art.

The Karate guy not so much.
1/13/13 3:35 PM
Soup Nazi
1260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool

1/13/13 3:37 PM
uniquetechnique
648 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KickYoNuts - 

I like how its school against school. Wished I could see the outcome.
This is what Bruce Lee had to go through back in the day..all the time. Of course I think Bruce was way quicker and his power was unbelievable from what I read.
1/13/13 3:45 PM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

posting this stuff is so frustrating... i have been a kempo (karate) jitsu practitioner for many years... and i dont fight like that?? that was terrible..

i hate it when a generic term (in this case Karate) is used to show a guy who is clearly poor at what he does, getting his arse kicked? this karate guy clearly has no idea what he is doing if he just walks into the striking range if a wing chung guy?? and even more inportantly this kind of Japanese based, watered down, (looks nothing like it was intended) karate is seen as the norm throughout the martial arts community and makes us all look bad

i can post vids of a karate guy beating the shit out of an MMA guy, but i wont because its clear that the MMA guy in the clip is not very good and does NOT represent the majority of people who train seriously and to a good level in the art - these kind of vids just keep the martial arts community divided instead of us understanding each others arts true prtential
1/13/13 8:28 PM
dhughes
357 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/13/13 8:29 PM
Master Bater - posting this stuff is so frustrating... i have been a kempo (karate) jitsu practitioner for many years... and i dont fight like that?? that was terrible..

i hate it when a generic term (in this case Karate) is used to show a guy who is clearly poor at what he does, getting his arse kicked? this karate guy clearly has no idea what he is doing if he just walks into the striking range if a wing chung guy?? and even more inportantly this kind of Japanese based, watered down, (looks nothing like it was intended) karate is seen as the norm throughout the martial arts community and makes us all look bad

i can post vids of a karate guy beating the shit out of an MMA guy, but i wont because its clear that the MMA guy in the clip is not very good and does NOT represent the majority of people who train seriously and to a good level in the art - these kind of vids just keep the martial arts community divided instead of us understanding each others arts true prtential

I would guess that most people on here get that. A lot of people saying similar things. I doubt anyone watches this and then thinks "Oh...okay, so Wing Chun is definitively better than the sum total of karate. Got it."

But yeah, I understand where you are coming from as my martial art...going back over 20 years ago now was "American Kenpo". And then even within that name there are many different schools and skill level varies all over the place despite belt rank. The school I attended was a very progressive place in some ways. We had a wrestling instructor, a kickboxer, a shootfighter, an aikido instructor, and a strength and conditioning coach teach classes every week. This was late 80s/early-90s. But anyway...
1/14/13 9:14 AM
TrevorRice
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the guy was definatly good at wing chun. nice to see it applied in live situation.
1/14/13 9:28 AM
john joe
395 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if thats 'good wing chun' then i dont really think much of wing chun im afraid
1/14/13 9:48 AM
tubuku01

john joe - if thats 'good wing chun' then i dont really think much of wing chun im afraid

watch it again in slow motion..note the slips, parries and soft blocks used. the wc guy was pretty damn good, if he mixed his wc with some good western boxing...no can defend.
1/14/13 9:52 AM
DWTF
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He was a decent wing chun fighter
his weight on his back leg isn't always centered and he doesn't keep his fingers together all the time but that was definitely a fight between someone who was intermediate vs. novice.

It will be exciting to see somebody who fights with the wing chun style enter the UFC. Roy Nelson and Anderson don't utilize it as their main approach stylistically to fighting, but when we see glimpses of their practice, they shine extraordinarily well
1/14/13 10:01 AM
TKOhYeah
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.