UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Kennedy rips Strikeforce, fighters, matchmakers

1/11/13 7:30 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
906 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Highly decorated former Army Ranger Tim Kennedy left the military to pursue a full-time career in mixed martial arts. But the Strikeforce fighter got only three fights between 2011 and 1012, a situation Kennedy characterized as 'ridiculous'.

“I’m a business owner," said Kennedy on MMA Weekly Radio. "I have employees and there’s been transitional periods where we’re moving from one warehouse to another, or we’re maybe being bought out by another company, but regardless, I’m going to take care of my employees. I think your first obligation as an employer is to the people that work for you."

“Fighting one time in a year is ridiculous. Especially because the reason I left active duty service was to fight. I love special forces, I love everything about being a sniper, I love jumping out of airplanes, I love wearing a green beret, and I love being surrounded by a bunch of bad asses. I left what I loved so I could fight, and since I left I’ve fought like two times.”

Kennedy also took issue with the process by which some Strikeforce fighters were offered UFC contracts, while others Saturday night will be literally fighting for a job.

“I have no idea how they work," said Kennedy. "Sean Shelby and Joe Silva, I’m sure they have a method and a process to it, but sometimes I think they just s--- in one hand, and they have this big dry erase board with all these names on it, and they just throw poo on one dude’s name and then the other name they like highlight it and circle it and draw happy faces and like little golden stars.”

The third point of contention for Kennedy is the fighters who dropped off the Strikeforce Finale ostensibly due to injury, after a UFC contract was imminent or offered.

“I don’t know why Strikeforce would go out and say, ‘Hey, all these guys are going to be on this card,’ and then a week later all these guys aren’t on the card," said Kennedy. "From Luke Rockhold to Gilbert Melendez to Masvidal, it’s like all the marquee guys that you know are going over to the UFC are conveniently injured."

“I’m going over there (to the UFC) but I don’t care. I’m still going to go out and fight, I’m going to fight a risky fight against a guy that’s dangerous that nobody knows on the last Strikeforce card. If you’re a fighter, act like a fighter and go out and fight, and stop acting like a little p---- and go out and fight.”

“Fighting is an industry where you could get cut for anything. It’s an industry depending on how your performance is you could get cut, medicals, anything you could get cut. There’s no telling."

“Bottom line, it comes down to if you’re a fighter you should fight. You shouldn’t be poising yourself to leap to start the next segment of your career in a different promotion. Your loyalty has to lie with who is taking care of you. Strikeforce has taken care of me. I could have easily been like, ‘Oh, my vagina hurts too. I’m not going to fight,’ and then just get on a February card because I was miraculously healed."

“I’m not. I’m going to go out and fight cause that’s what I think people should do.”

Tim Kennedy fights Trevor Smith on the undercard of “Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine” on Showtime. Kennedy’s fight will probably air on the Showtime: Extreme portion of the card, which begins at 8 p.m. ET. The card switches to Showtime at 10 p.m., with prelim fights frequently airing if the main card bouts end early.

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

1/12/13 10:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
747 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

....... Phone Post
1/12/13 11:01 AM
chokeyou
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's a terribly negative person.

Not really a fan.
1/12/13 11:04 AM
UGCTT_AsimpleFan
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the Spike/Viacom deal is going to his head just a little bit. Phone Post
1/12/13 11:06 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

does he have ptsd?

1/12/13 11:15 AM
Mexirican
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chokeyou - He's a terribly negative person.

Not really a fan.

This. Anything I ever read about Kennedy is him just complaining about something. Seems like a truly unhappy person.
1/12/13 11:18 AM
epwar
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rule #1 when moving to a new job - don't publicly call your future boss a monkey who throws shit at a wall of names.

1/12/13 11:20 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

and its funny how he says in fighting you can get cut for anything...thats the same as 99% of the jobs out there...

1/12/13 11:32 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
747 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Link to actual article for iphones

http://www.mmaweekly.com/tim-kennedy-disappointed-in-turnout-for-final-strikeforce-card-if-youre-a-fighter-you-should-fight

1/12/13 11:36 AM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

lol @ shit throwing & hurt vaginas

Tonights card pullouts were a transparent joke, guys like Healy, Marquardt & Kennedy should be guaranteed a UFC fight regardless of outcome

1/12/13 11:48 AM
orcus

I like what he had to say there, made me more of a fan.

1/12/13 11:54 AM
Motivated Penn
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mexirican - 

Not really a fan.

This. Anything I ever read about Kennedy is him just complaining about something. Seems like a truly unhappy person.

Why do you terrorists hate freedom?!?!?!

MiddleEasy - Cooking with Tim Kennedy - Creme Brulee with Flame Torches

1/12/13 12:09 PM
reversal06
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mexirican -

Not really a fan.

Hahaha one of the most positive people I've ever known. But please don't let me discredit the validity of your half cocked hunch. Thanks for the chuckle though. Phone Post
1/12/13 12:31 PM
Madmuzzy

“Fighting one time in a year is ridiculous. Especially because the reason I left active duty service was to fight. I love special forces, I love everything about being a sniper, I love jumping out of airplanes, I love wearing a green beret, and I love being surrounded by a bunch of mens asses. I left what I loved so I could fight, and since I left I’ve fought like two times"

So go back no one will miss you.
1/12/13 12:34 PM
MountainMedic
358 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mexirican -

Not really a fan.

All we ever see from the guy is pissing & moaning. Phone Post
1/12/13 12:39 PM
gabemadrid
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MountainMedic -
Mexirican -

Not really a fan.

All we ever see from the guy is pissing & moaning. Phone Post
Def agree Phone Post
1/12/13 12:42 PM
Carla Esparza #1 Fan
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus, did he get sand in his vagina when he was in Iraq?

1/12/13 12:49 PM
Unseen
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tim's a very positive person.  He just wants to compete.  I remember him way back in the early 2000'sdriving by himself from SLO to San Diego to compete in a Pankration in a small TKD school in the hood (The House Of Discipline on Cardiff St 92114).  

I was writing for Sherdog back then and interviewed him since he won the comp.  He said said he drove all that way because back then there were not many chances to compete, and he lives to compete.  

Also when you read his quotes he does sound negative but when you talk to him in person the same quotes will have you laughing your ass off.  He doesn't say them in an angry, entitled way, he just speaks truth and adds humor.

Brian P.

1/12/13 12:53 PM
MountainMedic
358 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe its a context thing?
Was a fan years ago but just got tired if hearing him talk. Phone Post
1/12/13 12:58 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tim can be big whiny bitch... but he's not wrong.
1/12/13 1:42 PM
Labrador
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not really a fan.

I have to agree. I'd like to root for him sometimes, but it's always sour grapes.
1/12/13 2:25 PM
ChaosOverkill
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What kind of soldier complains all the time?

1/12/13 3:14 PM
Jack_Bauer
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the first time Tim Kennedy has made me laugh. Well done.

1/12/13 4:18 PM
CindyO

reversal06 - 
Mexirican -

Not really a fan.

Hahaha one of the most positive people I've ever known. But please don't let me discredit the validity of your half cocked hunch. Thanks for the chuckle though. Phone Post

Oh, it won't. Until he shows the fans the side of him that you claim to know I'm sure they will judge him on how he conducts himself in the media. But thank you for your convincing post:)

Cindy

1/12/13 4:21 PM
CindyO

RileyPust - Tim can be big whiny bitch... but he's not wrong.

Agreed.

Cindy

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.