UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Multivitamin Questions??

1/11/13 9:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LakerGirl
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been using a nature made multi I got a while ago. I did no research, it was simply in sale. Now I'm interested in finding a few things out.

I am a make, 32, active. Currently taking...
Fish oil
Glucosamine
Vitamin E
Magnesium
Multi

Is a multi necessary?

If yes...

What is a good multi to use? Phone Post
1/12/13 2:29 PM
LakerGirl

Not a lot of vitamin fans here? Phone Post
1/12/13 5:57 PM
darkness66
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You might find better feedback on health ground. The shitty part is that it isn't available on the app Phone Post
1/12/13 6:07 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what are you EATING. 

1/12/13 6:42 PM
LakerGirl

I eat mostly clean. I eat all meats (fish, beef, pork, bird) along with eggs. Limited carbs, steel cut oats, potatoes and sweet potatoes. Lots of fruit and veggies in the form of smoothies. Healthy fats, almonds, coconut oil, olive oil, grass fed butter. I usually eat a larabar 1-2x/day as a meal (trying to lose a few). Snacks include pickles, cheese and very dark chocolate. Phone Post
1/13/13 12:33 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

larabar is not food. otherwise you're all right. I don't know what you would need a multi vit for :)

1/13/13 12:55 PM
LakerGirl

ArthurKnoqOut -

larabar is not food. otherwise you're all right. I don't know what you would need a multi vit for :)

Larabar is actually really good. All whole ingredients. Have you had one? I'm into cashew cookie lately.

Ingredients in cashew cookie in order are...

Cashews
Dates

That's it. I would have to say it is food, but I understand where you are coming from. Phone Post
1/13/13 2:13 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

LakerGirl - 
ArthurKnoqOut -

Larabar is actually really good. All whole ingredients. Have you had one? I'm into cashew cookie lately.

Ingredients in cashew cookie in order are...

Cashews
Dates

That's it. I would have to say it is food, but I understand where you are coming from. Phone Post

oh, as part of GMO free USA group, we "boycott" Larabar when General Mills acquired them. 

Although I will say that as far as "snack bars" go it is probably, if not THE, one of the best. Cashews and dates, what else more could you want?

I was speaking in less-than-strict definitions of food hehe. The thing is that if you're using them as a "meal replacement" to lose body fat (subcutaneous vs visceral) is that you're consuming quite a bit of sugar regardless where it lies on the GI scale (if you want to use that as a measuring stick for good carbs/sugars).

It has its role in athletic performance but I'm not quite sure where it lies in your goals. 

I'd say a protein drink or some raw cacao + water would do ya better, IMHO. 

1/13/13 3:59 PM
turducken

the best bar is core foods warrior meal bar. www.corefoods.com

its the only bar ive ever seen that doesnt contain any objectionable ingredients. its also not one of those weird green bars that has like 100 things on the ingredients list, most of which are highly processed powders/supplements rather than whole food items.

banana walnut flavor ingredients(all organic): whole oats, walnuts, whey protein, raisins, bananas, ground spices.
1/14/13 11:17 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

turducken with a quality post. VTFU

too bad that company doesn't offer a vegan protein option. Also, i wonder if they use grass-fed whey.

1/14/13 12:32 PM
turducken

its organic whey, which more likely than not is produced by organic valley farms(there are very few producers of organic whey and organic valley is probably the biggest). organic valley = grass fed cows. so yea, its most likely grass-fed.

in any case, it is usda certified organic which is a hell of a lot better than just "grass-fed" because "grass-fed" isnt a defined term and there's really no way to verify what it means(just like "all natural" pretty much means nothing). i mean someone could put "grass-fed" on a label of something that is produced from cows who are fed corn and soy and grass...its like "cage-free" eggs...doesnt necessarily mean its from pasture raised grazing animals.
1/14/13 4:06 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

Yes, I know that but from a company that comes across/puts themselves out there as sustainable and healthy, grass fed is the way to go.

Organic feed is basically what you just said MINUS grass fed though.

I also do not trust them after their herbicide thing.

Anywho, it DOES seem better than virtually all other bars I've seen like Luna, Kind, or Cliff bars for that matter.

1/14/13 5:00 PM
Badmonkey
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grass fed does not mean grass finished; cows that are grass fed are often fattened up with feed(corn, soy.. etc if you're lucky) before slaughter.

It's harder to find grass fed and grass finished beef. Either way i've tried those core food bars and they're pretty good; the nutritional profile is as good as it gets in the bar world: i like adding some extra almond butter to the banana walnut one.
1/14/13 6:04 PM
LakerGirl

No multi-vitamin recommendations? Phone Post
1/15/13 8:54 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

Edited: 01/15/13 8:54 AM
Badmonkey - Grass fed does not mean grass finished; cows that are grass fed are often fattened up with feed(corn, soy.. etc if you're lucky) before slaughter.

It's harder to find grass fed and grass finished beef. Either way i've tried those core food bars and they're pretty good; the nutritional profile is as good as it gets in the bar world: i like adding some extra almond butter to the banana walnut one.

you're talking about the fact that all baby cows, dairy and non dairy, must obtain nourishment from gass first. but again we're getting away from the point.

LakerGirl, you don't NEED multi vitamins, why would you wanna take synethetic vits that will vie for absorbtion, more likely than not?

1/15/13 8:23 PM
Badmonkey
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hammer Nutrition has a great multi called Premium Insurance Caps.

Made from all natural ingredients with chelated minerals... about $20 for a months supply.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.