UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Healy frustrated with 'must win' terms

1/11/13 11:55 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Frustration

It's frustrating. I mean, I'm happy to fight. I've always been happy to fight. I just want a guarantee that when the music stops, I've got a seat to sit at. Why do I have to be the only one fighting for my job, especially when we all can kind of read the writing on the wall, and see that some guys pulled out of this card because they didn't want to be in this same situation.

Pressure

I do feel the pressure that I've got to go in there and make a statement. Even if I win, but it's a close fight, I'd imagine that they're going to take that into account for negotiating a new contract. So yeah, the pressure is on to not only win, but win in really decisive fashion.

read entire article...

1/12/13 12:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And he should be! This guy beats almost everyone put in front of him and one loss will keep him from even getting a shot in the company that bought his former employer? That's some baby back bullshit, and these fighters deserve better.

Every single fighter on this final card should be guaranteed at least 1 UFC fight. Put em on Fuel if you must, put em on an international card against someone who will be a favorite over em, I don't care. But give em a fucking chance to prove themselves after they willingly stayed on this card when they could have taken a cue from their peers and pulled out. Phone Post
1/12/13 12:42 AM
victorchensky
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GriffinQ -  And he should be! This guy beats almost everyone put in front of him and one loss will keep him from even getting a shot in the company that bought his former employer? That's some baby back bullshit, and these fighters deserve better.

Every single fighter on this final card should be guaranteed at least 1 UFC fight. Put em on Fuel if you must, put em on an international card against someone who will be a favorite over em, I don't care. But give em a fucking chance to prove themselves after they willingly stayed on this card when they could have taken a cue from their peers and pulled out. Phone Post

great post griffin, you should be a writer/reporter with the passion you have. i completely agree with you.
1/12/13 1:12 AM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

victorchensky -
GriffinQ -  And he should be! This guy beats almost everyone put in front of him and one loss will keep him from even getting a shot in the company that bought his former employer? That's some baby back bullshit, and these fighters deserve better.

great post griffin, you should be a writer/reporter with the passion you have. i completely agree with you.
Haha much appreciated but I wouldn't go that far. My sister is the journalist in the family Phone Post
1/12/13 1:23 AM
yellow wrkahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CREamed_by_DongJ - Win or lose Healy has proven himself to be UFC worthy through and through. Is he a grinder? Sure, but he's fantastic at grinding, sort of like Couture and I like watching the best fight. Healy is really good for testing guys.

100% agreed.

He's a tough fight for anyone.

1/12/13 2:51 AM
UGCTT Combat Can Happen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, I agree, but lets be honest, how often do you get a defining win and you're in fight for the UFC? I think although its not fair in the overall scheme, Pat should be relishing the opportunity to control his destiny with this one fight. That's how a champion thinks, and I think Pat is a helluva fighter. Phone Post
1/12/13 2:51 AM
YonYones

Stupid if they were to cut someone like Healy.

They most likely have the mentality that if he can't get by a guy like Holobaugh, he can't get by many people in the UFC.. but Holobaugh is 9-0 and an up and comer and can make a claim for a shot with a loss as well. Bad situation
1/12/13 3:39 AM
victorchensky
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT Combat Can Happen -  Yeah, I agree, but lets be honest, how often do you get a defining win and you're in fight for the UFC? I think although its not fair in the overall scheme, Pat should be relishing the opportunity to control his destiny with this one fight. That's how a champion thinks, and I think Pat is a helluva fighter. Phone Post

come on man it isnt just unfair, its ridiculous. the man is on a five fight win streak in the second biggest league against tough guys. hes been 6-1 since joining strikeforce, throw the man a bone.
1/12/13 3:39 AM
robbie380
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FWIW since starting off his career 11-11 he has gone 17-5.

1/12/13 3:40 AM
victorchensky

at least give the guy an easier fight
1/12/13 8:27 AM
SomeonesGettinBingoed

victorchensky - 
UGCTT Combat Can Happen -  Yeah, I agree, but lets be honest, how often do you get a defining win and you're in fight for the UFC? I think although its not fair in the overall scheme, Pat should be relishing the opportunity to control his destiny with this one fight. That's how a champion thinks, and I think Pat is a helluva fighter. Phone Post

come on man it isnt just unfair, its ridiculous. the man is on a five fight win streak in the second biggest league against tough guys. hes been 6-1 since joining strikeforce, throw the man a bone.

He shouldnt be on a five win streak. I like Healey, but he was gifted a decision in his fight against Mizuto Hirota.

Hirota is the one that got fucked in this scenario. He had a fight scheduled for this card, but as his opponent got hurt, the fight was scrached and he has literally been fucked.

Because right know he should be on Healey's spot. Cause he won that damn fight.
And he wouldnt be whining with the must win situation, he would accept it like a man, just like when he was robbed on his fight, he was frustated but he didnt go on a rant.
1/12/13 10:22 AM
Santino DeFranco
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Healy is the man, and has been plugging away for a long time now with some great wins under his belt. He should be brought into the UFC regardless of a win.
1/12/13 11:27 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
811 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SomeonesGettinBingoed - 
victorchensky - 

He shouldnt be on a five win streak. I like Healey, but he was gifted a decision in his fight against Mizuto Hirota.

Hirota is the one that got fucked in this scenario. He had a fight scheduled for this card, but as his opponent got hurt, the fight was scrached and he has literally been fucked.

Because right know he should be on Healey's spot. Cause he won that damn fight.
And he wouldnt be whining with the must win situation, he would accept it like a man, just like when he was robbed on his fight, he was frustated but he didnt go on a rant.

Hirota is going to fight in the UFC now eventhough he lost. How has he gotten fucked in this scenario? Including Hirota, the last 4 fighters that Healy has beaten have been signed by the UFC. So who is the one really fucked in this scenario?

1/12/13 11:50 AM
Authority Figure

I think there's some truth to what you're saying. It would be reasonable to give every fighter who brave enough to get on the card a "free pass" for one future UFC fight. They are already professionals. Many of them help train UFC fighters and champions as teammates everyday. 

That said, I understand Zuffa's position - I need you to look good so I can market you as a marquee fighter that just happens to be in an organization I've been clamining didn't have marquee talent for a decade. They need each fighter to basically prove them wrong, so they don't have to apologize for their description of Strikeforce.

Myself, I loved Strikeforce and thought the fights had lots more action over the years. The production and commentating were lacking - to be sure - but I never had a problem with the fight quality before last year.

I hope that fighters that pulled out to avoid the ultimate test DON'T get free passes into the UFC. That would be a a shame. Everyone of us has to earn our jobs, clients and opportunities in life - and we have to constantly do so, it should be no different for anyone else. Work competition is tough for everyone of us. 

Best of luck to Pat for stepping up!

1/12/13 12:49 PM
Neil Funk

The only place for Healy is the UFC. I hope the higher-ups throw him a bone, he's a good guy and has had a hell of a career.
1/12/13 1:08 PM
hogh20

The UFC would be retarded if they don't take guys like Healy and Saffidine if they should lose. Dudes are gamers.
1/12/13 2:03 PM
Crooklyn
706 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butter, 'cuz I'm on a roll!

Thanks for posting this UG Blog!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.