UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Boxing is dead, UFC on top

1/12/13 4:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MachidasStraightLeft
449 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/12/13 4:28 PM
12SixElbow - 
MachidasStraightLeft - 
12SixElbow - 

Yes, thus it saying HBO and Showtime next to them.. What is your point.

Those numbers are huge for premium cable.

They are big. But what are you comparing it to - Strikeforce?  

The vast majority of MMA viewership is devoted solely to the UFC, and even SF pulled in like 500k viewers on Showtime pretty regularly.  I bet a card like UFC on Fox 5 would do as well if not better than any of those if it were on premium cable.

So, you've got one card you BET would do better than those cards on premium cable...

Do you think the UFC could put on 16 cards that would do that well on premium cable? Not to mention SF didn't regularly do over 500K, a few cards did, 16x in a year is regular, 5 or 6 in your entire history is not regular.

Doubtful, those are huge numbers outside boxings big PPV's, boxing is nowhere near dead.

Boxing isn't going anywhere, at all.

The UFC isn't either, they are different sports, this arguement is tired.

It's hard to say if the UFC could put on 16 cards that would do that well on premium cable. I doubt it.  You also have to consider that HBO and Showtime, but particularly HBO, have cultivated and established a faithful boxing audience for years now, while the UFC and MMA has not.  Any boxing fan knows that HBO is a must if you want to see good fights.  

My counter argument would be do you think that every single one of those fights that you listed could do more than 200k PPV buys like every UFC PPV can?  I'd say the answer is a resounding no.  I doubt more than 2 or 3 could.

I agree though, despite boxing's massive PPV discrepancies between Floyd + Manny and everyone else, I don't see it going away any time soon.

1/12/13 4:37 PM
MachidasStraightLeft
449 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Animal Chin - From: MachidasStraightLeft

I'll come back in 4 years and voice my opinion.

1/12/13 4:40 PM
SubbedZER0
343 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/12/13 4:43 PM

Says Boxing is dead

Posts Joe Rogan arguing Lou DiBella and lovely Hugh, clear difference in IQ

TROLL

1/12/13 5:03 PM
St1llWill
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MachidasStraightLeft - 

if you like machidas straight left than you should see how good sergio martinez's is
1/12/13 5:05 PM
MachidasStraightLeft

St1llWill - 
MachidasStraightLeft - 

if you like machidas straight left than you should see how good sergio martinez's is

I'm a Paul Williams fan.

1/12/13 5:25 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
878 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kid ain't lying lol.

1/12/13 5:31 PM
gusto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kid is funny
1/12/13 5:33 PM
Chris27

Could this kid be any gayer? He makes two retarded anti mma videos, makes an account on the ug and posts them, lol.

1/12/13 5:54 PM
AK-BJJ

I'm gonna just continue to be a fan of both but if you guys don't think that kid is hilarious you're taking things way too seriously... That vid is classic!
1/12/13 6:00 PM
DubsAli
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has a few valid points, but it wouldnt be Fun to talk about those. It's ironic that he's calling Joe Rogan verbose, while he is Sitting in an empty room shouting at a camera. He also talks about the amount of money boxing makes as opposed to the UFC. For as long of the video I could tolerate watching, He ignores the fact that there are so many different promoters In the sport of boxing. The UFC is one fight promoter in the sport of mixed martial arts. It's equivalent to golden boy or top rank etc. not the monetary value of the sport of as a whole.
1/12/13 7:26 PM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sure he makes some valid points. But i personally do not think you can really judge the whole MMA vs Boxing in another 50 years or so. Boxing been around for decades. And while i believe it will always be with us i do believe it will get left behind by a lot of people when a younger generation will dominate the airwaves.

Now i certainly believe that with certain countries it is hard to broach the boxing demograph. But if you take a market like Mexico (where the adoration of boxing surpasses most markets) you cannot deny that the potential from MMA has always been there (since there love wrestling over there so much as well).

Anyways eventually i think MMA will surpass boxing simply for the fact that boxing is part of MMA and MMA is not part of boxing.

For now though boxing still draws bigger numbers though the fucked up there own sport so much that they have very little in terms of consistancy for the PPV market apart from the bigger marque fighters (and when Manny and Floyd will retire it will leave them with a big hole).

I also had to smirk about the Kitschko thing. First of all it never did 50 million viewers. And secondly the Kitschko's,even though there great champions, are so boring that they not even attempting to do PPV anymore in the States because the simple do not draw enough compare with what they do in the German market. And while Germany is an decent size country it is hardly the States.

Still it always funny to me that people in the boxing world get there panties up in a bunch when it come to MMA (which usually seem to call UFC) while hardly anybody in the MMA world can be bother to say anything about boxing. If you feel the need to defend yourself you are obviously scared hence you yourself perceive the MMA as a threat.If you admit this yourself why would you debate it then? You have to be realistic about these things.

1/13/13 2:35 AM
St1llWill
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/13/13 2:46 AM
http://boxingsociety.com/allboxing/articles/haye-falls-to-klitschko-loses-wba-belt.html

"The match drew a lot of international attention with around 500 mln viewers from 150 countries around the world watching the live telecast."

http://wnu-ukraine.com/news/sports/?id=454

"The biggest heavyweight fight since Lennox Lewis-Mike Tyson in 2002 had a television audience of 500 million people in 150 countries."

http://www.boxingscene.com/david-haye-retire-i-know-if-i-fight-again--41086

"The Haye fight was in over a 150 countries; the unification fight with Wladimir got over 16 million viewers in Germany, which was the highest rating they ever got for a Klitschko fight. It was a phenomenal rating; it’s higher than the German soccer team."

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/max-boxing-news/they-may-not-play-in-peoria-but-theyll-play-in-poland

"The contest will gross around £30?million and will be aired in 150 countries. Haye and Klitschko, both unbeaten in seven years and on a 50/50 split on revenue, will bank in the region of £10?million pounds apiece. The rest will go to costs and Sky Box Office."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/david-haye/8611562/David-Haye-v-Wladimir-Klitschko-Underdog-ready-to-topple-a-giant-and-shake-up-the-world.html

"We are all now looking forward to 2 July when we broadcast the unification bout between Wladimir Klitschko and David Haye to over 150 countries.”

http://www.rtlgroup.com/www/htm/home_news.aspx?ID=92F9349918834FED94B92B53009CAAC8
1/13/13 2:48 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
878 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/13/13 3:34 AM
KingOfFighters

The problem with a 24/7 version the ufc does, is that it's really boring. It's the same shit every post fight, i respect my opponent, ufc picks my fights, i'll fight whoevers in front of me. UFC lacks the emotional dynamic period.
1/13/13 3:38 AM
sgotwalks
1115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Irritatingly hilarious with many truths, laughs and cringes. 

1/13/13 8:48 AM
The Sauce
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boxing is doing better today then it has in many years! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.