UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The Barnett Problem...

1/13/13 12:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JackTheMusicHarries
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strikeforce had a lot of awesome stuff tonight. New stars, and big names winning fights and gaining some momentum going into the UFC.
Josh Barnett is definitely one of those big names. Without a doubt, he is a top guy, marketable, etc, but there is a huge risk factor. That being Barnett has been busted for steroids multiple times now, and the powers at ZUFFA are probably thinking the same thing: What if he fails again IN the UFC? It would be a HUGE blow to the sport. He gets signed after all of these failed drug tests just to fail again? It would be like saying they tolerate it. Although I think he's paid his dues to an extent and he would be a great and exciting addition to the roster, the risk factor too high and really outweighs the reward here in my opinion...

Any thoughts?
1/13/13 12:32 AM
Sex Chicken
788 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think the juice is the problem, I think Dana is afraid of him because he's a loose cannon who could compete. He doesn't play the game and he has the skills to make a dent in the heavyweight scene. He will talk shit the whole time. 

1/13/13 12:33 AM
da Vinci 81
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he's going to price himself right out of a contract with them. And I really don't think he's worth the six figure contract he's going to be wanting. I don't think he's marketable and his promo speeches always come across as forced and flat to me.
1/13/13 12:34 AM
MachidasStraightLeft
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barnett is a problem for a bunch of reasons.   He's older, he's expensive and really not that big a draw, has been busted for 'roids, and is just a loose cannon in general

1/13/13 12:35 AM
JackTheMusicHarries

da Vinci 81 - I think he's going to price himself right out of a contract with them. And I really don't think he's worth the six figure contract he's going to be wanting. I don't think he's marketable and his promo speeches always come across as forced and flat to me.

I think he's marketable based on his credentials alone, but yeah... the promo tonight was a bit awkward. Not bad though!
1/13/13 12:35 AM
NorthernIrishZombie
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's been three-and-a-half years since he last tested positive and he's fought six times since then.

1/13/13 12:38 AM
daddy N0
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's old enough to get TRT treatment he's not going to get busted anymore Phone Post
1/13/13 12:40 AM
JackTheMusicHarries

Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman -  Yea, stop making threads Phone Post

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/436041/1262147-haters_gonna_hate_super.jpg
1/13/13 12:41 AM
epwar
644 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would be like saying they tolerate it.

Uh, they do tolerate it.
1/13/13 1:35 AM
semtex0809
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 - I think he's going to price himself right out of a contract with them. And I really don't think he's worth the six figure contract he's going to be wanting. I don't think he's marketable and his promo speeches always come across as forced and flat to me.
This Phone Post
1/13/13 1:36 AM
semtex0809
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aka he's goin back to Japanese wrasslin Phone Post
1/13/13 2:03 AM
darkness66
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's so full of shit that I don't think he's all that relevant to the sport Phone Post
1/13/13 2:17 AM
Dean of Lean

Like it or not, and choose to agree with me or not, but Zuffa has done a great job in a pure business wise sense building their fan base through their Reality TV Show platform.

Purists and Pride fans may hate it but hey if they can sell out a stadium and bring in 700-800 K in ppv buys they don't care.

Barnett is not a name known among the "Tuf" Fans, as such they'd still need to market him, Purists and older fans love him and may want to see him join but the UFC saw no need to really pursue Fedor unless it suited him and I doubt they see themselves "needing" Barnett.

They can always say they got Cormier and he was the SF HW champ, not Barnett. So if Barnett does join the UFC its cuz DW wants bad enuff, personally given his age, position in the sport and the position of UFC's HW Division now with Overeem, Cormier, Carwin, JDS, Valsquez, Mir, Big Country and Bigfoot I don't think they may see the value, especially with the Overeem thing still fresh in their minds.
1/13/13 2:26 AM
gooddoc

Something was off with that post fight speech tonight, it didn't sound like him. Something tells me he already knows somehow that he won't get into the UFC. Phone Post
1/13/13 3:24 AM
Heyzeus80
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Give him fights in countries with no athletic commissions. Phone Post
1/13/13 3:29 AM
Vote me down

Whatever the UFC dont need Josh Barnett, but he needs the UFC for sure. Yeah he can fight in other ORGs but no one will care.

1/13/13 3:48 AM
Dana Stern

I agree the UFC doesn't need Josh at all and realistically he probably would end up being more of a headache then anything. He def is skilled and tough and could do well, never be a UFC Champ again, but would be a good addition. Im on the side that thinks his pro wrestling shtik is weird and forced and comes off as goofy and wouldn't go over in the UFC well. I guess we'll see what happens. Phone Post
1/13/13 3:56 AM
TeamRenzo4Life

Average UGer these days: "Hmmm...Barnett huh?"
*googles videos of Dana White mentioning Josh Barnett to find out BLAF's opinion*
"HELL NO BARNETT SUCKS HE'S OVERRATED HE SHOULDN'T GET A CONTRACT."
*Is silently pleased with themselves*
1/13/13 4:07 AM
sockeye
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barnett fan here but he does seem to have a difficult personality, kinda sarcastic and condescending.
I would love to see him fight top competition in the UFC but I doubt Dana would want to deal with him Phone Post
1/13/13 4:32 AM
Samsonite1084
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aside from the sweet haircut, looking winded, and tapping a mismatched (yet game opponent), the war master, formerly baby faced assassin (who woulda thought that nickname had an expiry date, take notice Melvin Guillard) looked good. Hopehully he passes tests, and gets higher profile fights with zuffa Phone Post
1/13/13 4:36 AM
UGCTT_mousetrap
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman - Yea, stop making threads Phone Post
. Phone Post
1/13/13 4:46 AM
Rear Naked Chode
393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JackTheMusicHarries - Strikeforce had a lot of awesome stuff tonight. New stars, and big names winning fights and gaining some momentum going into the UFC.
Josh Barnett is definitely one of those big names. Without a doubt, he is a top guy, marketable, etc, but there is a huge risk factor. That being Barnett has been busted for steroids multiple times now, and the powers at ZUFFA are probably thinking the same thing: What if he fails again IN the UFC? It would be a HUGE blow to the sport. He gets signed after all of these failed drug tests just to fail again? It would be like saying they tolerate it. Although I think he's paid his dues to an extent and he would be a great and exciting addition to the roster, the risk factor too high and really outweighs the reward here in my opinion...

Any thoughts?

Lol, overeem , chael, paul harris, leben, bonnar, sherk, vitor, thiago silva, marquart, sylvia, kimo,...............
1/13/13 5:14 AM
FCFBlazer

He can be used in Japan market maybe. His promo was as awkward as Rory calling out condit. Phone Post
1/13/13 5:24 AM
yellow wrkahlc
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

darkness66 -  He's so full of shit that I don't think he's all that relevant to the sport Phone Post

According to Miletich, he's #5-6 on the HW rankings.

lawl.

1/13/13 12:26 PM
chokeyou

If they don't sign him the next promotion is going to promote him as the best Heavy in the world.

UFC has to sign him or they have risk losing a little more ground.

IF Bellitor starts strong and sign him it'll be a disaster for ZUFFA.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.