UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Does Big John McCarthy make

1/14/13 5:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
john joe
377 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dirk Bevlin -  My question is why does anyone guage distance with their fingers out anyway?

What good does it do except hopefully "accidentally" poke your opponent in the eye?

If it's not illegal, it should be. Phone Post

experienced strikers frequently do it; the extra 2 - 4 inches of distance-gauging with fingers as opposed to closed fist can be a big difference. Consider that a proper slip is meant to evade a strike by millimeters not by miles. Small distances can make a difference to the experienced user;

and with open fingers the hand is also more articulate if you need to transition into a parry, underhook etc. Or at least, feels more articulate.

Dion was clearly gauging with the left and looking to land heavy with the right; he wasnt looking to use the left in an aggressive way; it was his antennae
1/14/13 7:09 PM
Dirk Bevlin
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't get it. If your intention is to gauge the distance you'll need to close in order to connect with a closed fist, why not gauge the distance with a closed fist. Boxers and kick-boxers seem to gauge distance just fine without stretching out their fingers.

So many fucking eye pokes, every fucking card one or more guys gets poked in the eye. I'm sick of it. I'd really like to see a few things added to the rules, including outstretched fingers. Phone Post
1/14/13 7:13 PM
The Nastyness
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Open hands while striking should not by any means be illegal. Slapping the hands of oncoming punches has been used in many striking martial arts for defense.

However, I think there's a difference between open handed blocking or deflecting as compared to open handed distance gauging. Besides, if using the fingers helps gauge that distance by millimeters, it isn't going to matter throwing the next strike when your fist is closed and those precious millimeters no longer matter.

Regardless, just like when we get pulled over for a ticket, it's the official's call and any uproar doesn't usually change anything. How many times have we seen poked eyes? It just doesn't add up in the long run.

Let the ref do his job.
1/14/13 7:14 PM
The Nastyness

Dirk Bevlin -  I don't get it. If your intention is to gauge the distance you'll need to close in order to connect with a closed fist, why not gauge the distance with a closed fist. Boxers and kick-boxers seem to gauge distance just fine without stretching out their fingers.

So many fucking eye pokes, every fucking card one or more guys gets poked in the eye. I'm sick of it. I'd really like to see a few things added to the rules, including outstretched fingers. Phone Post

Thank you, that's pretty much what I was thinking but you got it first.
1/14/13 7:14 PM
StepOverCamelToeHold

BJM is a legend in this sport. Don't understand the hate.
1/14/13 7:55 PM
mofomike
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy -  Can't fucking stand him, he tries to make himself part of the fight. Way overrated in terms of a good referee Phone Post

this.

1/14/13 8:01 PM
ChaosOverkill
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/14/13 8:02 PM

The only thing I can think keeping the fingers extended is for, is to make your opponent flinch from wanting to avoid being poked in the eye by accident or otherwise. It probably affects how the other fighter uses head movement and strikes as he doesn't want his eyes to end up full of fingers. 

However the use of it is essentially cheap and trying to set yourself up for a built in 'accidental' poke excuse if you do poke the eye (which I think is what Kos in particular does much less gage distance) and I think Big Joh n has figured this out and is going to prevent it going forward. I like it and wish more refs would do it. 

Extending the hand like that is tantamount to pretending to gage distance with the intention of poking the eye or affecting a fighter's composure without overtly doing a poking motion.

1/14/13 8:11 PM
mm370
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

illini89i -
FightToLive - He is a dickhead also!
Are you kidding me? One of the nicest most approachable guys you'll ever meet. This thread is full of idiots. Phone Post
Exactly. I've been around him and talked with him on several occasions. He has been nothing but respectful and polite to fighters and the rest of the public Phone Post
1/14/13 8:29 PM
jasonhightower
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jons Forsberg -
jasonhightower - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
ausgepicht - 

Well, I think he was concerned about eye pokes. 

This, he's just trying to prevent eye pokes.

I understand that but if your not throwing strikes why the fuck would you be required to close your fist? Phone Post

eye pokes.
I understand preventing eye pokes and I must of missed the "pawing" that lead to the warning. But my point is I've seen guys do the pawing of sorts to gauge range and distance with no warning (I.e. Diaz brothers), so is it just a rule that is rarely called out?

I understand this could of been discussed prefight in the locker room as well. Phone Post
1/14/13 8:46 PM
youarewhatiswrong
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill - 

The only thing I can think keeping the fingers extended is for, is to make your opponent flinch from wanting to avoid being poked in the eye by accident or otherwise. It probably affects how the other fighter uses head movement and strikes as he doesn't want his eyes to end up full of fingers. 

However the use of it is essentially cheap and trying to set yourself up for a built in 'accidental' poke excuse if you do poke the eye (which I think is what Kos in particular does much less gage distance) and I think Big Joh n has figured this out and is going to prevent it going forward. I like it and wish more refs would do it. 

Extending the hand like that is tantamount to pretending to gage distance with the intention of poking the eye or affecting a fighter's composure without overtly doing a poking motion.

Yeah, all this.
1/14/13 10:33 PM
rrryan
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht -

This Phone Post
1/26/13 8:36 PM
Dirk Bevlin
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/26/13 8:46 PM

Big John got on to Lamas for open finger range gauging.

Sounds like Rogan agrees, said something like "that's something we really need to do something about."

It looked like Koch took a little bit of a poke, he rubbed at his right eye for a second but shook it off.

1/26/13 8:58 PM
Jons Forsberg

jasonhightower - 
Jons Forsberg -
jasonhightower - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
ausgepicht - 

I understand that but if your not throwing strikes why the fuck would you be required to close your fist? Phone Post

eye pokes.
I understand preventing eye pokes and I must of missed the "pawing" that lead to the warning. But my point is I've seen guys do the pawing of sorts to gauge range and distance with no warning (I.e. Diaz brothers), so is it just a rule that is rarely called out?

I understand this could of been discussed prefight in the locker room as well. Phone Post

they don't have to "paw" with their fists open. First must be closed whenever the arms are extended.
1/26/13 9:00 PM
Jerry Bohlander
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John knows Mma better than most fighters let alone most fans. He's reffed so many big fights its easy to pick out mistakes. Best in the business IMHO Phone Post
1/26/13 10:59 PM
illini89i
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jerry Bohlander - John knows Mma better than most fighters let alone most fans. He's reffed so many big fights its easy to pick out mistakes. Best in the business IMHO Phone Post
Exactly. Great to see you on here Jerry. Phone Post
1/26/13 11:00 PM
DanTheWolfman

Jerry Sighting, what's up? lost ur number bro, hope you are well
1/27/13 12:14 AM
Jerry Bohlander
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DanTheWolfman - Jerry Sighting, what's up? lost ur number bro, hope you are well
Pm me. Ill get it back to you Phone Post
1/27/13 12:45 AM
DanTheWolfman

sent u PM, friend request on here, and same on FB
1/27/13 1:03 AM
Jerry Bohlander

DanTheWolfman - sent u PM, friend request on here, and same on FB
Ill respond on here when I get to a pc, but I don't do Facebook anymore. Haven't logged on to that in a year or so I think Phone Post
1/27/13 1:06 AM
andyman011

Dont punch with fingers. End of story Phone Post
1/27/13 1:40 AM
DaddyGorg

My beef is that he doesn't say "Let's get it on" loud and forcefully any more.
1/27/13 12:23 PM
ShawnTheBadger
410 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dirk Bevlin - 
Big John got on to Lamas for open finger range gauging.

Sounds like Rogan agrees, said something like "that's something we really need to do something about."

It looked like Koch took a little bit of a poke, he rubbed at his right eye for a second but shook it off.

And Big John did it PRIOR to having a finger-poke and an early stoppage due to flagrant foul and subsequent injury. He properly warned the fighter that was perilously close to committing a foul.
1/27/13 12:27 PM
jasonhightower
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jons Forsberg -
jasonhightower - 
Jons Forsberg -
jasonhightower - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
ausgepicht - 

eye pokes.

they don't have to "paw" with their fists open. First must be closed whenever the arms are extended.
Good to know. I've seen so many fighters do this for years without repercussions. Glad to start seeing them come down on this. Phone Post
1/27/13 1:55 PM
Tom O'BJPenn=Legend

This thread is full of morons. You faggots make me ashamed to be a part of this forum. BJM literally wrote the rules for MMA. Get a fucking clue. Phone Post
1/27/13 7:39 PM
andyman011

Tom O'BJPenn=Legend - This thread is full of morons. You faggots make me ashamed to be a part of this forum. BJM literally wrote the rules for MMA. Get a fucking clue. Phone Post
He literally wrote them. So he sat down with a pen and paper and decided himself what should be allowed to go on. The athletic commission and the ufc had no say in the subject. Not even the other refs helped it was just him deciding.

I think your mom fell down a flight of stairs while pregnant man Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.