UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cormier: Mir next, then I want Jones

1/13/13 9:49 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1059 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In the Strikeforce Final, AKA-trained heavyweight Daniel Cormier beat 20-1 underdog Dutchman Dion Staring in the second round, and then revealed who's next.

“I signed my UFC contract,” said Cormier. “April 20 on Fox, Frank Mir, let’s do it. It was supposed to happen, and we were supposed to fight in Oklahoma, so he owes it to me."

In a recent interview at the World MMA Awards, Mir too was eager for the fight.

"I'm hoping Cormier has a good outing against his opponent," said Mir to MMAFightCorner.com reporter Heidi Fang. "I can't recall his name right now. (Given) the fact that we all don't know his name very well, I'm assuming that means that (Cormier) should do well and hopefully come through unscathed so that he can do what he wants, which is come into the UFC and I can be more than happy welcome him."

"I think it's an excellent test for him. I think, you know, always be careful what you wish for. I think that his wrestling will definitely be tested in our fight. My submissions have the ability to definitely change outcomes of fights pretty quickly."

Cormier was not content with just calling out Mir. Next up was UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, who is scheduled to fight Chael Sonnen at UFC 159.

“I’m going to let Jon defend his belt on April 27," said Cormier. "And then I’m going to kick his ass in the fall."

Cormier had been scheduled to fight Mir in November of last year, but Mir got injured and eventually the entire card collapsed. Eventually, Cormier was matched against Staring, who had UFC heavyweight contender Alistair Overeem in his corner.

“I felt great. I was kind of concerned, because I felt sick all week,” said Cormier. “I thought I was going to get tired, but I didn’t. I was still going hard, on top of him, punching him. But he was just a really tough guy.”

At one point in the fight, Cormier appeared ready to go for an armbar, but opted to stay on top, raining punches.

“I’m a guy who is mainly never going to give up position for a submission,” said Cormier. “That’s just kind of my style. I’m a wrestler. I could have had it, but I’m not too sure on that yet.”

If Cormier's MMA game needs rounding out, Steven 'Fritão' Seagal is standing by to help his friend out.

"If I had to choose anybody today [as a Fighter of the Year] I'd pick Daniel Cormier," said shihan at this weekend's World MMA Awards. "Because I think he is the best out of that lot. He's the guy and maybe going to be working with him a little bit. We'll see. I think he's kind of the person not everyone knows about, but he's a sleeper, you know? And that's going to be interesting. I'm not going to say anything more than that. I'll just say he's a friend of mine ... that's all."

1/13/13 9:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Dean of Cuisine
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sure Phone Post
1/13/13 9:54 AM
vaginal tear
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to believe. Phone Post
1/13/13 9:56 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm just glad he's in the UFC.
1/13/13 10:00 AM
El Ninja
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ObamaCare -

i hate to say it...but judging by his performance last night, Jon Jones would roll him up and burn him fast like a loose joint.

I think a lot of the fighters, including Cormier, were sealing with illness.

That said, I would lean towards Jones in the matchup. Phone Post
1/13/13 10:00 AM
El Ninja
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^dealing Phone Post
1/13/13 10:07 AM
FreakDaddy
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank Mir is not going to be as easy of a fight as he thinks. Don't look past Mir, as you could get a broken bone or two.......Or three......
1/13/13 10:09 AM
Dr Gonzo
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would strike me as odd that a guy in the UFC would be asking for a title shot without even having a win in the division, but that's about par for the course now I guess.

Jones easily picks him apart too, probably submits him late.
1/13/13 10:10 AM
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cormier needs to win at 205 before JBJ. He has not earned the fight. Not that it means anything to MMME, oh I mean UFC.
1/13/13 10:11 AM
MMAjustice

20-1!!!!!

TWENTY to ONE...

Why are people "excited" about this win.
1/13/13 10:17 AM
Arecsa
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dont understand the point of fighting Mir and then dropping down. Why not come in at 205 right away, test the weight cut first and then fight Jones?
1/13/13 10:25 AM
GarlicSauce

OH GOD YES.
1/13/13 10:29 AM
epwar
648 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAjustice - 20-1!!!!!

TWENTY to ONE...

Why are people "excited" about this win.

It is the age old "The next guy is the one to beat Jon Jones" thing we've been seeing for years now.

1/13/13 10:46 AM
bruised
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA -
Cormier needs to win at 205 before JBJ. He has not earned the fight. Not that it means anything to MMME, oh I mean UFC.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Cormier's speed advantage will be a lot less at LHW than HW and, while he has great wrestling and striking, going against JBJ who has incredible athleticism and reach is going to be a rough match-up. Having a fight at LHW before fighting for the title makes a lot of sense. Phone Post
1/13/13 10:56 AM
Authority Figure

In his mind winning the HW tourney was his test? I like him. He's an unassuming bad ass, so I wouldn't count him out against anyone. 

If he beats Mir, that means a helluva lot.

1/13/13 11:14 AM
Got MMAlk

If Cormier fights Jones before Gus there is a serious problem with the sport. It's already a shame that Sonnen is getting the fight, but I can understand that. Phone Post
1/13/13 11:14 AM
MostLegit
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he beats Mir I'd like to see him fight Machida or Rashad before Jones. Phone Post
1/13/13 11:30 AM
SoccerkickrevivaL
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love this kid. Get Bones! Phone Post
1/13/13 11:33 AM
SoccerkickrevivaL
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got MMAlk - If Cormier fights Jones before Gus there is a serious problem with the sport. It's already a shame that Sonnen is getting the fight, but I can understand that. Phone Post
Gus will wreck Johnny. They know this. That belt was a hot potato before Bones grabbed it.

Stabilizing the division and having known names has taken over. Just ask my girlfriend who the champ is (LHW) she knows dick about the sport and she can name Mr. Bones. Phone Post
1/13/13 12:27 PM
Authority Figure

Cormier and Machida? Interesting. Phone Post
1/13/13 12:34 PM
tylerthebear
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SoccerkickrevivaL -
Got MMAlk - If Cormier fights Jones before Gus there is a serious problem with the sport. It's already a shame that Sonnen is getting the fight, but I can understand that. Phone Post
Gus will wreck Johnny. They know this. That belt was a hot potato before Bones grabbed it.

Stabilizing the division and having known names has taken over. Just ask my girlfriend who the champ is (LHW) she knows dick about the sport and she can name Mr. Bones. Phone Post
Did you not watch Gus vs Davis? It will be worse against Jones because hes bigger, faster with alot better wrestling and subs. Phone Post
1/13/13 12:36 PM
Dr Gonzo
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SoccerkickrevivaL - 

Gus will be submitted within 2 rounds when he fights Jones.
1/13/13 1:39 PM
deadlysyn

Mir can be very Dangerous. I'm a big fan of Cormier but after watching his grappling last night I think Mir could be a lot better in that department. Daniel's striking is good, and his wrestling is excellent but when he grapples he stalls a lot and leaves a lot of openings to trasistion out or to even get reversed, and if Mir were to ever get on top then things could easily go bad for him. 

Honestly the fight I would most want to see is Mir vs Barnett. 

I think Cormier could be a lot of trouble for J Jones. 

I also don't think Gus would beat Jones. His striking is very predictable (mostly straight punches down the middle aimed at the head and kicks that usually go on the low outside or to the head) and he only does so well because of his reach something that wouldn't be as much as an advantage over JJ. And everywhere else, in the clinch, wrestling, and on the ground JJ would dominate him. -- 

1/13/13 2:46 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I Love me some DC.  He's a great guy and he's talented as hell.

I wouldn't count him out against anyone, and I would Love to see him fight Jones.

1/13/13 10:42 PM
LBH_RN
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FreakDaddy - Frank Mir is not going to be as easy of a fight as he thinks. Don't look past Mir, as you could get a broken bone or two.......Or three......

Def agree. I really can't see DC taking anything more than a UD if even winning. DC's standup doesn't pose any threat Mir hasn't seen and couldn't defend against (ie, Big Country has arguably better stand up) and its a toss up on the ground, where I give the advantage to Mir simply on expierience.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.