UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Will/should the UFC sign Josh Barnett?

1/13/13 2:34 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"I want to fight though and the UFC has a fantastic lineup of people that I could go out there and compete against and it has a huge market share. It has all the market share, I'm being honest. I'm not here to kowtow to anybody. I don't serve anyone. I serve no master. I'm sure the best-case scenario can be made to happen. It's just up to whoever wants to pay my price."

Barnett may be wanting more money than the UFC cares to pay for a fighter who's unlikely to win another title but would be a formidable gatekeeper in the HW division. There is also a defensive element to re-signing Barnett that should be considered, namely that his pro-wrestling experience makes him a uniquely intriguing fighter to Spike TV where he could follow Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal's lead and do pro-wrestling on TNA and fight MMA for Bellator.

read entire article...

1/13/13 2:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pride Wanderlei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope they do, I would love to see him in there!

1/13/13 2:37 PM
i remember halloween

I think Josh is very overrated.  That said, I would like to see him in the UFC competing in fights that actually matter.

1/13/13 2:39 PM
TakesKawkFromSEAHAWKS
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i remember halloween -

I think Josh is very overrated.  That said, I would like to see him in the UFC competing in fights that actually matter.

I agree. He is much older now and while he will have sone success ultimately he will be a gatekeeper. Phone Post
1/13/13 2:39 PM
DojoJay
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He seemed like kinda a douche to Pat Miletich after the fight...

1/13/13 2:43 PM
HenryO

No reason not to other then Dana's a vindictive cunt
1/13/13 2:44 PM
SkooterFanForLife
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As long as he doesn't ruin the main event of a show and cause it to be canceled, then go ahead. And before anyone corrects me I'm talking about a single show, not the entire promotion.
1/13/13 2:47 PM
ShawnTheBadger
445 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, they should sign Barnett. No question about it. Plenty of solid, exciting matches for him in the UFC.
SkooterFanForLife
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HenryO - No reason not to other then Dana's a vindictive cunt

I would say pissing hot three times is a reason.
Willin
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DojoJay -

I think it was all acting in character and not meant as an insult. Much like Chael grabbing the mic from Rogan and asking him if he was mesmerized.

Give Barnett a shot in the UFC if he wants it. Bygones... Phone Post
1/13/13 2:48 PM
confusionSay
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly, I don't see him beating Struve, Lavar Johnson, or even Pat Barry. Even gatekeeper isn't guaranteed, imo.
12SixElbow
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO yes, for the right price.

HUGE risk signing a guy that has popped 2x for steroids, if you've popped twice you're using a lot...

confusionSay
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly, I don't see him beating Struve, Lavar Johnson, or even Pat Barry. Even gatekeeper isn't guaranteed, imo.
SkooterFanForLife

Btw, I think they should sign him as there are tons of good matchups and pride rematches I like to see.
1/13/13 2:49 PM
ScottishSkirtWearersTopTeam
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DojoJay - 

It was showmanship. Barnett is a pro wrestler, a big part of that is talking, something Barnett is really good at. By you saying "Wow, Barnett was being a douche" that means he is good at what he does, he is getting the exact reaction he wanted.

Barnett should absolutely, 100% be signed to the UFC.

1/13/13 2:51 PM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DojoJay - He seemed like kinda a douche to Pat Miletich after the fight...

Seemed like? I personally don't think that the UFC should sign Barnett, a 3-time loser in the Roiding department. They don't need the kind of negative publicity that will arise if he gets popped a fourth time, especially now that they're on network television.

If they do sign him, it should only be with the condition that he submit to frequent and random drug tests for the duration of his stay with the UFC, and any positive tests would result in his immediate permanent banishment from the promotion with all wins overturned and any titles stripped immediately. I could live with that.

1/13/13 2:51 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a huge Barnett fan.  Will they?  I don't know.  Should the UFC sign him?  Absolutely, without a doubt!!!!

1/13/13 2:56 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmavixen -

I am a huge Barnett fan.  Will they?  I don't know.  Should the UFC sign him?  Absolutely, without a doubt!!!!

What she said Phone Post
1/13/13 2:57 PM
mose
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the question is more of, should Barnett sign with the UFC?

IMO, the answer is no. Despite how many of us really want to see how he would fare against today's UFC HW's, and how a consistent schedule of top fighters would treat him, Barnett is not worth much to Dana & co. He doesn't bring much of a fanbase, is getting up in years, has pissed hot repeatedly, and from all accounts is in the Roy Nelson category of 'not pleasant to deal with' from a business perspective.

So, I can't see the UFC breaking the bank on him, or investing in him heavily in any way. The offer will not be large.

So, Josh can likely freelance around the world as the top-available HW attraction. Coming in, beating an overmatched local, cashing a check, and taking off. Supplement this with pro-wrestling in Japan, a few Bellator showcase fights, perhaps appearances on TNA, etc. and he can likely make far more, and have far more freedom, not under the Zuffa umbrella.

1/13/13 3:09 PM
Brian J DSouza

Yes, the UFC should acquire him. But we all know Zuffa's style of negotiating. They are the only big game in town, and the longer they make him wait, the lower his price will go.

UFC doesn't have to have any fighter on its payroll, not Anderson Silva, not GSP, not Josh Barnett.

But the thing with Anderson and GSP is that they generate huge amounts of revenue for the UFC. Josh Barnett is good for business, period. If he wins a few and gets a title shot, its even better for the UFC in terms of banking PPV dollars.

1/13/13 3:11 PM
da Vinci 81

I don't think they will and I don't think they should. He's not worth what he's going to want.

A lot of people think he's marketable because he can talk but I think his "promo" skills are terrible. They're boring, contrived and lame for a guy who's fights are slow, methodical breakdowns; not the mercenary killer who leaves "bodies behind" like he portrays.
1/13/13 3:14 PM
SkooterFanForLife

Lol. I doubt any of you know what zuffa will offer or what josh will want. The man himself could enlighten us no doubt.
1/13/13 3:17 PM
ChaosOverkill
591 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why is should even a question?

1/13/13 3:20 PM
DRevan

While I'd like to see Barnett signed to the UFC, there is actually a great argument for NOT doing so regardless of where Josh is at in his career...namely this.

The UFC has the last guy to beat Barnett, so regardless of what Barnett does outside of the UFC, educated fans will know that there is no argument for Barnett in any way being a consensus top 5 even, nevermind 1.

So, if Barnett went to oh..say..Bellator...and ran shit for a year or two, that is actually great for the UFC because the UFC can say, yeah...their HW champion? One of our 205ers beat him a few years back...anyway...

You know what I mean?

That said, I'd love to see him in the UFC because he belongs there, he is one of the best HW's in the game right now. As long as he keeps passing his tests, let him fight in the UFC...if he fails a test, cut him, but until then let him fight.
1/13/13 3:26 PM
epwar
595 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SkooterFanForLife - 
HenryO - No reason not to other then Dana's a vindictive cunt

I would say pissing hot three times is a reason.

This.

It is hilarious watching guys on this board say Barnett should get a chance over and over.  Could you imagine if board hated fighters like Jones, Guillard or Bisping pissed hot THREE TIMES?  This board would eat them alive.  Hell, they'd do it if they pissed hot only once.  But Barnett - MMA's record holder in pissing hot - gets nothing but kid gloves and love.  Hilarious.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.